Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using flash in aperture priority - shutter speed not changing

• 17-04-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just have a quick query here. Must be something small I'm not grasping.

Last night I was messing around with the built in flash on my 350D and noticed that my shutter speed remained the same whether the flash was turned on or off.

I had the cam set to ISO1600 and aperture set. I would have expected that when the flash was turned on the shutter should have automatically selected a faster speed? What's going on?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Generally, most cameras can only sync with a flash (basically, highest shutter speed at which the flash is captured) is normally 1/250. Could be why it didn't change.

Also shutter speed has no effect on flash...only aperture does. Obviously you want a high enough shutter speed so that there's no blur in the shot, but generally, shutter speed has no bearings what so ever on the intensity of the flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Have a look at your custom settings in the Exposure menu item. You should find a setting that relates to Flash sync speed in AV mode. You will have two settings in there, 0 (Auto) for shutter speed up to 250th sec. 1 (Fixed 250th sec).

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

No, the sync speed it the maximum speed it'll sync at, but it'll sync at everything under that :)

As Oshead said, there's a custom function to turn this on and off! Also, try using AV for more control over flash effects :)

Advertisement