Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached Egg Plant - It attracts hoverflies to the garden to beat the aphids

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I grow it close to my fruit patch to attract pollinators. It is a lovely fragrant plant but as the article says it produces tons of seed, hard, like poppy seed, which is picked up an soles of shoes, forks, spades, pet's paws etc. etc. and transferred all over the place. Still I wouldn't be without it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

jsut as bmaxi says:

attractive looking plant too!...quite easy to grow-and its a self seeder so be prepared to find it in many corners of the garden in years to come!...usually when i find them growing somewhere inappropriate i pot them up and pass them on to others.
    nasturtiums and french marigold are another couple to have around the veggie patch as beneficial plants, especially if you are trying to go organic
    rather than the conventional route.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

My partner wants to start these at our gate. I think they are beautiful, and self-seeding is a bonus (in a way), but will my neighbours across and down the road hate us??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got fed up with them as they tend to grow in a soggy mulch, all massed together. It took several years of non weed-killer efforts to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think they are lovely, sowed some a few years ago and they keep coming back , bonus!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I keep sowing these and they never grow: what am I doing wrong?
    My soil is heavy clay - would that be it? South Dublin, so very dry, too.

Advertisement