Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please welcome your new overlords.

Options
  • 18-04-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Jules and javaboy.

I quit this forum because I can't quit smoking and thought it was a bit hypocritical of me to keep moderating it.
    Your new mods are better than me, so say hello and welcome them into the fold.

I wish you all continued success in your endeavours.
    you have all been an inspiration to me and I'll keep on trying because of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Hello... Im one of those reformed smokers, had my first one when i was the wonderful age of 11, with my best mate Hazel down in a back field in tallaght, went from there started nicking my mums johnny blue and what ever i could get the mits on. Tbh dont know when i totally quit but i just stopped. The OH smokes and im trying to get him to quit, but its an up hill struggle!!!! Bought him "the tablets" everyone is going on about, but he is afraid to try to quit in case he fails.

Ideas and tips apperciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Jules wrote: »
    but he is afraid to try to quit in case he fails.

Hmm, there is something wrong with that logic somewhere ;)

Some simple advise, tell him to read this site -whyquit.com
    Read it a lot, pay close attention to Bryan' story, to Noni's tale. Sean's fight with mouth cancer at 19 is pretty good as well.
    A particular 'favourite' of mine is this one It details Deborah's fight with terminal lung cancer since 2007. I've contacted her, since her last post was last month, after discovering that the cancerous cells around her hearth are back and nothing since

If he reads this site, or you can force him to, he will have to quit. But be warned my oh smokes and she won't look at it, after seeing bryan's picture.
    Me, I'm using that pic to prevent a relapse

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hello all. Non-smoker here (but not the annoying self righteous kind :)) although I did use a lot of good advice from this forum recently to help my mam finally quit after about 35 years.
    I'll mostly be pottering around in the background, cleaning up spam and so on. For the most part you won't even know I'm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

welcome, friends...was there always two mods on this forum?

Nope.. but ya see Terry was such a super mod that it takes two of us to do his job!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi Jules, firstly as I am a new member, I didn't realise that Terri was no longer a moderator until just now, so really my first post should have been directed to her replacements, so sorry about that. Would you be so kind and explain something of the tablet you referred to as I have not heard of it. Is it accessible without prescription and if so does it cost much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hmm, there is something wrong with that logic somewhere ;)

Some simple advise, tell him to read this site -whyquit.com
    Read it a lot, pay close attention to Bryan' story, to Noni's tale. Sean's fight with mouth cancer at 19 is pretty good as well.
    A particular 'favourite' of mine is this one It details Deborah's fight with terminal lung cancer since 2007. I've contacted her, since her last post was last month, after discovering that the cancerous cells around her hearth are back and nothing since

If he reads this site, or you can force him to, he will have to quit. But be warned my oh smokes and she won't look at it, after seeing bryan's picture.
    Me, I'm using that pic to prevent a relapse

Best of luck

+1 for that whyquit website. I'm off them now since Feb 2007 and I would definitely say the website finally shocked me into the need to stop for good - I had numerous attempts with various methods prior to that and always went back on them plus smoked more per day, I was about 25 per day before I finally quit. I did also get online hypnosis which to this day I'm not sure how much it played a part in my success - the key thing for me was drinking lots of water and ten deep breaths every time I felt like smoking plus the determination which in part came from the stories I had read on whyquit.com

Oh and congrats new mods, best of luck!

havetoquit wrote: »
    Hi Jules, firstly as I am a new member, I didn't realise that Terri was no longer a moderator until just now, so really my first post should have been directed to her replacements, so sorry about that. Would you be so kind and explain something of the tablet you referred to as I have not heard of it. Is it accessible without prescription and if so does it cost much?

Terri is Terry and is a he not a she.. you obviously have not seen the picture! And the "tablets " i refere to are champix and i think are on perscription, my mother got them for me for himself, if ya get me. Not sure of cost but going by here, they are expensive but a lot of people have had good success on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi Jules and welcome, have you been a demonic bitch for long??
    Since you gave up the fags? or perhaps its a life style choice???
    Just wondering cos my gf is prepairing to quit and I need to be warned

I was a warewolf for a bit myself (the fleas were a curse)but I'm alright noowwww!

this a pic a co worker took a while back on day 2 off'em i think:D

477013_mad_warewolf.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement