Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and weight loss...

• 18-04-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering which alcohol has the lowest calories and fat, for someone trying to lose some weight.
    Other than Coors Light, which other beers are low in calories?
    Also, which spirits are best, and which should be avoided?
    Is there a website that compares the calorie content of different brands of beers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

As far as know vodka has lowest cal count of the spiritss. other than that I go for Bulmers light - I am a cider girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hi,

I'm just wondering which alcohol has the lowest calories and fat, for someone trying to lose some weight.
    Other than Coors Light, which other beers are low in calories?
    Also, which spirits are best, and which should be avoided?
    Is there a website that compares the calorie content of different brands of beers?

Thanks!
    Watch out for the mixers with the spirits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Birdie086 wrote: »
    As far as know vodka has lowest cal count of the spiritss. other than that I go for Bulmers light - I am a cider girl.

I wish I could drink bulmers light, but I really can't stand cider :(

My fave drink at the moment is Coors Light, which is great calorie-wise (1.5 ww pts a bottle). However, whenever I am abroad, it's not always easy to find it.

What would be the next best well-known brand beer?

Also, would one vodka and diet mixer have more or less calories than a glass of white wine?

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have made many posts about booze and calories/diet etc, I gathered them all up here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57902740&postcount=10

As you are counting points look at this one too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59500297&postcount=244

Alcohol can be confusing as it varies so much in alcohol content, so you should not equate things. e.g. I would usually drink maybe 8 cans, too many people see these as "drinks", 8 vodkas will have far less calories, but if I usually drink 8 cans, I would drink about 14 vodkas!

In short the thing that will get you to a certain level of drunkeness with the least amount of calores/points is unsweetened spirits with diet mixers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Vodka with diet drinks contains no storable calories. By storable I mean calories that come from pure alcohol cannot be stored, they can only be used at that time. However, when you are drinking, oxidation of other energy stores is suppressed so that indirectly alcohol leads to weight gain. To make things worse, if you mix alcohol with sugary drinks, almost all of the sugar will be converted to stored calories, due to the fact that the body has sufficient, if not excessive supply of usable calories in the form of broken down alcohol.

My advice: spirits with diet drinks. And don't eat until you're sober. In saying that, don't get hammered on my advice! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zero_nine wrote: »
    if you mix alcohol with sugary drinks, almost all of the sugar will be converted to stored calories,
    And some beers are high in sugar. 5% heineken is 3% sugar. Though it is 4.3% here, I think it is the same recipe just diluted after brewing, so 2.58% sugar. I would polish one of those 5L kegs in a night, thats 129g sugar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

rubadub wrote: »
    And some beers are high in sugar. 5% heineken is 3% sugar. Though it is 4.3% here, I think it is the same recipe just diluted after brewing, so 2.58% sugar. I would polish one of those 5L kegs in a night, thats 129g sugar!

So thats 129g*4.2(cal/g)= 668 cal all going to fat. I think theres 3500 cal in a pound of fat so that equates to about .2 of a pound, or .2*16ounces= 3 ounces of fat. Give or take, it is biology after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Bud light is available in most places now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I may be wrong but i think Bulmers light is considered one of the better options. I think it tastes better then regular bulmers. I believe its 92kcal per 330ml bottle.

Advertisement