Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Series of Snooker coming to Ireland in May.

• 18-04-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

The World Series of Snooker are holding their 1st tournament of the new season in Ireland on May 16/17 in the INEC at the Glen Eagle hotel in Killarney.

The 4 professionals taking part are John Higgens, Shaun Murphy, Jimmy White and our own Ken Doherty.

On Saturday the 16th May, they will take on Irelands top 4 Under-19 players in the quarter finals,

Shaun Murphy v Greg Casey (Cork)
    Ken Doherty v Tony Moore (Cork)
    John Higgens v Andrew Gray (Waterford)
    Jimmy White v Jason Dunleavy (Mayo)

Quarter finals are best of 7 frames.

Sunday afternoon will see the 2 semi finals being played (best of 9 frames) with the Final set for Sunday night (Best of 11 frames).

Eurosport are showing 12 hours of live snooker over the weekend while I believe TG4 are also going to show it.

The event is being held in the INEC in Killarney, a superb venue for professional snooker. Ticket prices are very reasonable.

Session 1 on Saturday ( 2 x quarter finals)==€10.
    Session 2 on Saturday (3rd and 4th quarter finals)==€10.

Session 1 on Sunday ( 2 x semi-finals)==€15.
    Final on Sunday night===€15.

Week-end ticket to cover all matches == €30.

I think tickets are available at ticketmaster, but they can definately be booked through the INEC box-office on 064-71555.

Connie

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Super stuff, I heard it was going to be in Killarney alright. There were roumers of playing it a Goffs' some time back. It would be amazing to have snooker back at Goffs. :)

Pity it's just in the middle of my exams, so I can't go. :(

Also, great news that TG4 is covering it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pokeraladin

its good to c them playing a bit of snooker in the south for a change, u would think they would have 1 of the ranking events here at least they would fill the palces compared to watching it on tv and all the matches half full or less, that is unless ronnie is palying....sad really

So, is anyone going from here?

As I said before I would love to go for the weekend, but I can't.

Full info here.

BTW, It doesn't appear that TG4 will be covering it afterall, but it will be on Eurosport.

It starts on Eurosport @ 8pm Tonight. (Scores in spoiler tags just incase anyone wants to wait for TV coverage.)

Saturday 16th May
    Quarter Finals - best of 9 frames (10 Reds)
    QF 1 Shaun Murphy vs Greg Casey,
    (Result:5-0)
    QF 2 Ken Doherty vs Tony Moore,
    (Result:5-4)
    QF 3 John Higgins vs Andrew Gray,
    (Result:5-1)
    QF 4 Jimmy White vs Jason Devaney,
    (Result:5-3) [From 0-3]

Sunday 17th May
    Semi Finals - best of 9 frames (15 reds)
    QF1 v QF3
    QF2 v QF4

The Final - best of 11 Frames (15 reds)

Sunday 17th May

Semi Finals - best of 9 frames (15 reds) (Live on Eurosport Player Only)
    Shaun Murphy v John Higgins (Again :))

Ken Doherty v Jimmy White

The Final - best of 11 Frames (15 reds) (Live on Eurosport)
    Murphy/Higgins v Doherty/White

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Pity Greg didn't get going, been playing with him for years, and Tony, was surprised he did so well against Doherty, fair play to them anyway.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Pity Greg didn't get going, been playing with him for years, and Tony, was surprised he did so well against Doherty, fair play to them anyway.

Yeah, I think it's great that the WSOS has given them this oppertunity. Greg never really got a chance against Shaun Murphy, Murphy was clinical. The match with Ken & Tony Moore was terrible tbh, Tony looked really nervous and Ken was atrocious, he stumbled over the line.

The other two lads done well though. When Andrew Gray had his chances against John Higgins he looked like he could definitely play a bit. Playing the world champ was just a bit too much though.

Jason Devaney was the outstanding junior though. He was exceptional in the first three frames playing some really decent stuff at times. Some of his pots throughout the game were super. He could have gone 4-0 up, but Jimmy got the last before the interval and this seemed to give Jimmy the "kick up the ass" he needed. Jimmy then hit a great (10 red) 100 break after the interval. Jason seemed a bit jaded towards the end of the match, it was delayed a bit and didn't finish until after midnight.

It must be an amazing experiance for them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Was at the two semi finals today in the INEC, tbh I thought there would be a lot more people there. A lot of the back seats were empty, and with a repeat of the World Championship Final and Ken Doherty playing Jimmy White, I thought there would be more interest. Two good games though, Murphy got some great centuries against Higgins, and overall I thought he deserved to win the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I was at it over the weekend too. I was also surprised at the lack of interest, I was expecting it to be full but it wasn't. I'd never been to see a tournament live before, so it was a great experience.

Ken Doherty's quarter final match against Tony Moore went on for far too long and was a little boring to be honest. I think Greg Casey's nerves got the better of him in the opening match to be honest. I'd heard how good he was but he just seemed to want to get the game over and done with. Felt sorry for him really, there must have been a lot of pressure on him.

OK time for a rant:

One thing that I wasn't impressed with was the noise coming in from outside! There seemed to be an area in the INEC upstairs, where the players / families / organisers etc were waiting. During matches you could hear babies crying, crowds of people laughing, rounds of applause (from competitions on the practice table outside), and throughout the tournament there was a noise of empty glasses being collected!!!

Also, a lot of spectators don't seem to understand the rule 'no photography OF ANY KIND' during match play. People thought it would be OK to turn off their flash and keep taking photos... there were still little blinking red lights on the front of their cameras going, and the referee had to warn people that they could be seen on a number of occasions. One idiot actually took a photo with his flash switched on - during a frame!

Rant over!

On a plus side, I met John Higgins in the hotel on Sunday afternoon. He was on his way to the match against Shaun Murphy, but was casually strolling through the hotel on his own, cue in hand. I managed to chat with him for a minute and got a picture with him. He was very friendly and nice about the whole thing.

Really? What time was that? I was at the same game, I kept and eye out for Higgins but never spotted him! (Other than seeing him play at thie game of course :))I did manage to get a pic with Ken Doherty though :D Would have liked to meet either Higgins or Shaun Murphy though :(

• Advertisement

IrishKev wrote: »
    Really? What time was that? I was at the same game, I kept and eye out for Higgins but never spotted him! (Other than seeing him play at thie game of course :))I did manage to get a pic with Ken Doherty though :D Would have liked to meet either Higgins or Shaun Murphy though :(

Just checked the camera, it was 12.34pm on Sunday. It was outside the Chestnut Tree bar in the hotel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Just checked the camera, it was 12.34pm on Sunday. It was outside the Chestnut Tree bar in the hotel.

Go on, show us the picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 snookerguy

Hi all.... Has the final past? i've just got back from abroad... havn't had a chance to catch up or scan other posts yet:eek:

Oh, I only got there at around 12.55. I was surprised to see Ken Doherty playing so near to the game against Jimmy White, he was showing off his skills up until about 1 minute before he come out on stage :D for a minute I thought he lost to Tony Moore :D

Oh, I only got there at around 12.55. I was surprised to see Ken Doherty playing so near to the game against Jimmy White, he was showing off his skills up until about 1 minute before he come out on stage :D for a minute I thought he lost to Tony Moore :D

That match could've gone either way. Both of them were playing so slowly... it was fairly boring! It's amazing to see them on the practice table though, they don't miss a ball, then even the pro's miss some sitters once its during a match.

Jimmy White wasn't happy with the competition table I don't think. There was a roll along one of the side cushions and balls were coming away from the cushion and pocket when rolled slowly along it. After on of the frames he grabbed a couple of balls and was rolling them along it to check. He mentioned it to the ref but I don't think anything was done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi all,
    I was tournament director there for the weekend. There was about 300 people attended each match and about 400 for the final. Capacity was about 600. It would have been nice to see the venue full, but we werent really expecting a full house this year.

I think for a first effort, it went very well. The WSOS were delighted with the venue/hotel, Eurosport were very happy with the set-up and any of the public I met over the weekend seemed to be delighted to get a chance to watch some tournament snooker.

Its already agreed between all parties for the event to return next year and hopefully, snooker-buffs will put it in their calender for next May to spend the weekend in Killarney for the Irish leg of the WSOS, and that will help to ensure big crowds.

I must say a big thank-you to the 4 professionals who were very giving of their time over the weekend, took endless photographs and signed endless autographs without I once hearing a murmer of discontent.

I must learn how to put some photographs on here. When I find out how to do it, I'll put some up.

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was tournament director there for the weekend. There was about 300 people attended each match and about 400 for the final. Capacity was about 600. It would have been nice to see the venue full, but we werent really expecting a full house this year.

I think for a first effort, it went very well. The WSOS were delighted with the venue/hotel, Eurosport were very happy with the set-up and any of the public I met over the weekend seemed to be delighted to get a chance to watch some tournament snooker.

Its already agreed between all parties for the event to return next year and hopefully, snooker-buffs will put it in their calender for next May to spend the weekend in Killarney for the Irish leg of the WSOS, and that will help to ensure big crowds.

I must say a big thank-you to the 4 professionals who were very giving of their time over the weekend, took endless photographs and signed endless autographs without I once hearing a murmer of discontent.

I must learn how to put some photographs on here. When I find out how to do it, I'll put some up.

Connie

Cheers Connie, I enjoyed it anyway, definitely consider going back next year. It was a nice surprise this year as my other half booked it for me the week before the tournament as a surprise.

The M.C. was gas, some of his jokes.... ya know the ones that are so bad you can't help but laugh! - But what was the story with the "Happy Birthday Eurosport" he kept having everyone shout???!

Cheers Connie, I enjoyed it anyway, definitely consider going back next year. It was a nice surprise this year as my other half booked it for me the week before the tournament as a surprise.

The M.C. was gas, some of his jokes.... ya know the ones that are so bad you can't help but laugh! - But what was the story with the "Happy Birthday Eurosport" he kept having everyone shout???!

It was the weekend of Eurosports anniversary and they were planning on doing one of the "happy birthday eurosports" slogans, but even though the mc practiced it with the crowd, they never actually went ahead with it!

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Connie

That's great, I'll definately keep an eye out for next year's one. Any chance of getting the Rocket? :D He'd definately attract a crowd!

That's great, I'll definately keep an eye out for next year's one. Any chance of getting the Rocket? :D He'd definately attract a crowd!

I can confirm that the WSS has rebooked the INEC complex for next year, May 14, 15 and 16.

Obviously, we do not know what players will be competing, only that its definately going ahead.

I do have my own plans to run a "huge" pro-am event later this year, with hopefully 40-50 professionals taking part.

Connie

• Advertisement
Advertisement