Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange canary

Options
  • 18-04-2009 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Got a present of an orange canary for Christmas. Lovely little thing. However recently it's feathers have started fading to a non-orange colour. He seems in good form and is still mostly orange but I think maybe I'm not feeding him properly. His feeding tray has two sections - in one I put normal seed and in the other I put the red egg feed. He eats both. Is this what I'm supposed to do or should I mix the feeds? I've never owned a bird before so any insights are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Macros42 wrote: »
    Got a present of an orange canary for Christmas. Lovely little thing. However recently it's feathers have started fading to a non-orange colour. He seems in good form and is still mostly orange but I think maybe I'm not feeding him properly. His feeding tray has two sections - in one I put normal seed and in the other I put the red egg feed. He eats both. Is this what I'm supposed to do or should I mix the feeds? I've never owned a bird before so any insights are welcome.

The canary was probably very heavily fed on colour feed before you got him. I'd say he's just eating less of it now that he has a choice.

You could try mixing the feed in one container and adjusting the ratios.

I'm pretty sure the feed doesn't do them any harm, but tbh I personally don't see the point in feeding something to make it appear a different colour to it's natural state.

He could of course just be going through a molt and may look more like he did in a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Macros 42 your "orange canary" is a Red Factor Canary (Serinus domestica).
    Avoid sources of leutin such as green food, egg yolk and rape seed, which will yellow the bird. Offer groats and niger if the bird is moulting. You should also offer some grated carrot.
    This is really basic stuff so maybe you should do some research into the type of bird you have! ;)

Advertisement