Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daddy Long Legs'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I didn't know it was an actual myth.
    I thought it was from that joke Ricky Gervais told at one of his shows...:confused:
    Thats where I got it from!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

liah wrote: »
    Weird. When I hear "daddy long legs" I don't think crane fly, I think of this. Interesting. Must be different over here. What do you call those yokes, then? Just regular spiders...? Do you even get them in Ireland or are they a north american thing?

Harvestmen, but I think some people call those guys daddy-long-legs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Forget crane flies, the best are those leggy spiders you get in the corner of your ceilings. Amusing to watch them have vicious turf wars with other spiders for supremacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

anniehoo wrote: »
    Spiders, moths, beetles scare the feck out of me...but a daddy long legs wobbled (cant really say flew) in there a minute ago and im lookin at him whackin himself off...

Had you nothing better to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Woke up the other morning only to discover I had slept with a daddy long legs, unfortunately for him he was dead - I squished him good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

SDooM wrote: »
    That would be sexism, dear.

:P

It would indeed, Bossman.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

This poor fellas been lying squished at the bottom of my fridge for a while.

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

"Oh round we go, heel to the toe

Daddy longlegs said "my-oh-my

Are we ready for the reel in the flickering light?"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Spiders, moths, beetles scare the feck out of me...but a daddy long legs wobbled (cant really say flew) in there a minute ago and im lookin at him whackin himself off every bit of furniture i have! I actually "like" the dangly,long legged, uncoordinated yokes! What a pointless waste of insect life...
    do you mean hes walking into the furniture or flying into the furniture? Because one is a Cellar Spider (DLL) and the other is a Crane Fly.

Got me a Venus Fly Trap last week (apparently they only grow in this small region of the world and are my State's Flower) - anytime I see something buggy I try to capture it live and feed the trap. Cant feed it dead stuff (wont digest it) or poisoned stuff (duh). Fed it a house fly yesterday and it was awesome... struggled in the maw for about half an hour before it was wrapped too tightly to move anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I had the same fear before. Used to get the pots and pans out and kill them. Although just woke up one day and said I wasn't going to be afraid anymore and still the same to this very day.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

but a daddy long legs wobbled (cant really say flew) in there a minute ago and im lookin at him whackin himself off every bit of furniture i have!.

Obviously a turn on for him with you watching?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

A father watched his young daughter playing in the garden.
    He smiled as he reflected on how sweet and pure his little girl was.
    Tears formed in his eyes as he thought about her seeing the wonders of nature through such innocent eyes.
    Suddenly she just stopped and stared at the ground.
    He went over to her to see what work of God had captured her attention.
    He noticed she was looking at two spiders mating.
    'Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?' she asked.
    'They're mating,' her father replied.
    'What do you call the spider on top?' she asked.
    'That's a Daddy Longlegs,' her father answered.
    'So, the other one is a Mommy Longlegs?' the little girl asked.
    As his heart soared with the joy of such a cute and innocent question he replied, 'No dear. Both of them are Daddy Longlegs.'
    'The little girl, looking a little puzzled, thought for a moment, then lifted her foot and stomped them flat...

'Well, we're not having any of that gay Sh!t in our back garden!!! she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

heheheheheahahahahhahohohohhohhoh dont see many of em around anymore remember the place was full of them years ago all the kisd chasin them around hehehehahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I thought a Daddy Long Legs was a spider not the big gangly legged crane fly thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

I hate the fcuking things (hate all type of creepy crawlies actually). But lucky for me my cats usually torture the little feckers to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I HATE them. Normal spiders I can just about handle...but Daddy long legs' f*cking fly. That's what annoys me about them. And they make a really annoying noise whilst hitting into things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

I used to catch them in a jar and put them on the radiator.

Ah jaysus great times altogether now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Can you imagine if birds flew like them? They really shouldn't have wings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

When we were kids, my cousin used to set them on fire with a lighter. When I was over in his house one day, one of those feckers was in the kitchen, he tried to burn it and he accidently set the kitchen table on fire. My uncle ripped the tablecloth off and threw it out the window before it could do any damage. We were about 8 or 9 at the time so we thought it was fcukin' hilarious. However my aunt & uncle were not amused. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Must try that. I'll get a match

• Advertisement
Advertisement