Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting into all this, advice please!

Options
  • 18-04-2009 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I would appreciate all the replys that you can give. I have been living away for over a year now and have about a year left here in Ecuador. I am away from all my usual comforts and gadgets at home with the exception of my laptop which has been like my right hand. I have gone from being a very light user to using it for so much now (everything internet based anyhow). Now I want to learn all that I can and become much more tech savvy etc. I buy the Maximum PC magazine almost every month and I have hopes to build my own P.C. when I get home. I am curious to know what do all you other P.C. builders do? Is everyone here in the business and have degrees etc in I.T. and programming etc. Is anybody in a different industry and have learned all about this in their spare time as a hobby?
    Would it be worthwhile for me to do a P.C. Maintenance course on line like that offered by Kilroys College or is there a definitive Bible that I could start reading to learn about stuff, possibly a P.C. building for dummies or something. How did you all get started in this? Thanks so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hobby for meself. Wouldnt be mad into it like some people. Probably cos I have feck all money lol but yeah I just picked it up over the years. Wouldnt be brilliant or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Im with you their, i built mine many moons ago and loved it, and have been hooked since then, this forum is v helpful on most stuff, but for general help on parts/reviews, google rodney reynolds or 3dgameman and go to his site. The advice and reviews there are amazing (no im not rodney reynolds!). Normally i dont plug a site cos im a mean bast*rd but trust me on this one.

it will help you get started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

4 years ago I hated computers. My mother was then 72 and knew more about them then I did. She is teaching 'older people' (as she calls them!) to work on them. I got into it because my father in law build us a comp. Now I get more and more into it but it's a hobby. I upgrade on a regular basis and have 2 comps in the house plus a laptop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have a degree in programming but most of the stuff I know about computers (all the non-programming stuff really) I more or less taught myself just through messing about and looking up stuff on line.

Advertisement