Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auckland in September...What to do, what to do?

Options
  • 18-04-2009 8:29am

Hi guys,
    Just looking for a bit of general advice.
    I'm travelling 3 months round SE Asia and then a few weeks in Tokyo and landing in Auckland late September.
    Where do you think would be a good place to start looking for work, as god knows how much cash i will have left :-) I have a retail management background but am more than happy to pick fruit, drive forklift, whatever.
    Also, What is good in the area to do? Good bars? (especially for English footie) and more importantly, any good beers i should try?? :-)

I've also heard mixed things about heading further north...what do you guys think? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Auckland's quite weird for nightlife, most of the suburbs I found had better bars then the CBD which actually gets quiet at nighttime. I drank a lot in an Irish bar called the Bog on Parnell which was cool.The quay area has a few good ones as well though. Ask locally for where the soccers on.

I didnt spend a huge amount of time doing tourist stuff but the north shore, skytower and museum were cool, I cant rememeber what else we did there :) Its a nice city but i decided to settle in Wellington as i like it better here.

www.seek.co.nz is good for jobs, but if you just want temp or parttime stuff just drop into a recruitment agency when you get here, dont bother applying from abroad. You'll get something the recession hasnt hit NZ too bad really.

For a good backpackers i highly recommend Latana lodge, clean and small and personal compared to the big multistory ones in the city centre. http://www.lantanalodge.co.nz/

Thanks pclancy,
    Don't know how long i'll be in Auckland, so whats Wellington got to offer?

Advertisement