Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moyles to be axed - The Sun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Well it looks to be a load of tut from what Aled from the show posted on the chrismoyles,net site earlier this morning.

http://chrismoyles.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20645&start=40
    I've spoken to Ben Cooper this morning (Deputy Controller) and Caren Davies (Head Of Press) and this story isn't true.

Will Chris and the team be moved after Septemeber - yes of course - but that could be December, next year, 2 years. Ben and Andy haven't decided what's happening to the show, because at the moment there's no need to decide.

The writer of the piece was Gordon Smart who is the Sun journalist who had his piece ripped apart on the show a couple of weeks ago when he wrote the piece about how great Scott had done at the Sony's whereas Chris "only" got one - for Best Breakfast, when in reality both had receieved one Sony nomination.

is also true that if Chris isn't doing breakfast Scott is. That's not press worthy - it's been true since January 2004 - and everyone at Radio 1, not just Scott is aware of this.

I'm sorry you as fans, and we as a team who love making the show are getting dragged in to journalistic agendas.

Roll on September when we will become the longest breakfast show in Radio 1 history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I was intrigued until I saw it was a Gordon Smart "Exclusive".

Gordon Smart tells so many porkies that if he were to write a story about someone hitting him in the face with a shovel on live television, immediately after someone had actually hit him in the face with a shovel on live television, people still wouldn't believe it.

He's filled his "gossip" column with so much lying fantasy and utterly groundless fairytales that he's become not only a laughing stock amongst journalists, but he's become a laughing stock among laughing stocks.

I'd ignore it, if only because never let the facts get in the way of a good story, and pro that he is, he doesn't let them hinder crap ones either.

(He does seem have quite a thing for Scott Mills though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Wouldn't expect anything less from a rag like The Sun - I wouldn't wipe my ass with it - this is the paper that spread lies about the Liverpool Fans during the Hillsborough disaster.

Chris I still believe is going from strength to strength - and has one of the best shows on radio at the minute

If your into The Chris Moyles show, i'd say tomorrows show will be definetly worth a listen judging by his twitter comments earlier today...
    At home watching the end of the football ... very much looking forward to the Radio 1 show tomorrow morning .. I have LOTS to say . . .

Heres hopeing the Sun and Smart get ripped to bits on air:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm very much looking forward to the morning's show.
    No better man than Chris for a good anti-reporter rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,950 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pity this is, like much of The Sun's output, untrue. Moyles is an odious homophobic twat who should never have been let within ten feet of a radio mike; its just unfortunate theres enough people in the UK who listen to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

MYOB wrote: »
    Pity this is, like much of The Sun's output, untrue. Moyles is an odious homophobic twat who should never have been let within ten feet of a radio mike; its just unfortunate theres enough people in the UK who listen to him.

entiteld to your opinion but it's wrong! You obviously don't listen to the show based on what you think Moyles is like. :rolleyes:

Great DJ very funny, not suited to TV IMHO but as a radio DJ very very good. As he is now destroying the Scum for a false story he is not going anywhere and that is great news for Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

alpha2zulu wrote: »

Heres hopeing the Sun and Smart get ripped to bits on air:D

Moyles is very clever. It's a well known adage that one never picks a fight with a company that buys ink by the barrel, so the sun came out relatively unscathed from his state of the nation address this morning.

In the speech, Moyles cited several past sun reporters that he had a good working relationship with, and used clever wordplay to insinuate that although he may personally think it's a rubbish paper, he knows better than to hold any grudge or make an unprovoked attack on it, and he respects the fact that it has an exceptionally high readership.

However, Smart's character & reputation were utterly destroyed, and his motives publicly questioned in such a way that Smart would need to be approximately 800 times cleverer than he actually is to have any chance of escaping with his dignity intact and his reputation with any chance of eventual repair.

I'd reckon he's in deep trouble over at Newscorp towers, and if there's any justice, he's peeling the fuzzy gonks off his desk and packing away his freebies in a cardboard box as we speak.

This morning's broadcast was very much a Dambusters moment for Moyles. Round 1 goes to him. I doubt there'll be many more rounds.

(Incidentally, while I'm not a Moyles fan, I cant agree with the assertions made that he's racist or, as stated above, Homophobic. The only places I've ever seen those opinions in print is in the sun, or lazy journos from other papers who've stolen their opinion from the sun. He's certainly brash, opinionated, LCD and desperately unfunny at times, but not noticeably homophobic.)

Moyles response this morning was right on the money, certainly did himself a favour by not stooping to Smart's level, who on the other hand just kept digging this morning with a nasty little factless piece on the shows producer.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2384591.ece

It will be interesting to see if Jon Gaunt whose just started a 'sun radio' show will have the cop on to stay out of this rumble. Something tells me given the bit of history betwenn Gaunt and Moyles he will jump on the bandwagon and come out with some inflammotory comments to get a bit of publicity for his own internet show.

EDIT: Apparently Gaunt did actually call Moyles " a fat tub of lard" on his inaugural suntalk show according to another site...

You can get Moyles response about 1hr 35min into todays show.

[URL="rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1coyopa/radio_1_-_monday_0630.ra"]rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1coyopa/radio_1_-_monday_0630.ra[/URL]

BrookieD wrote: »
    entiteld to your opinion but it's wrong! You obviously don't listen to the show based on what you think Moyles is like. :rolleyes:

I listened to it until I found it unbearable terrible. Took about three days of driving around the UK with R1 on. I usually listen to R1 when in the UK or when in range here - which would rarely be mornings thankfully.

Thank feck for CDs and DAB for when it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Moyles response this morning was right on the money, certainly did himself a favour by not stooping to Smart's level, who on the other hand just kept digging this morning with a nasty little factless piece on the shows producer.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2384591.ece

That is a nasty piece. Also, its the Sunday Surgery. :D

Bondvillan wrote:
    (Incidentally, while I'm not a Moyles fan, I cant agree with the assertions made that he's racist or, as stated above, Homophobic. The only places I've ever seen those opinions in print is in the sun, or lazy journos from other papers who've stolen their opinion from the sun. He's certainly brash, opinionated, LCD and desperately unfunny at times, but not noticeably homophobic.)

I agree with Bondvillan 100%, Moyles is not a homophobe. It appears to be an argument that people who hate him use as an excuse to get him removed. The Guardian, for one, appear to be very anti-Moyles at present, but I find them baseless. Sure, he did the Will Young parody, and some people complained, but I felt that the complaints on this occasion were more towards their dislike for Moyles himself, and using that he did sing in an effeminate voice as an excuse that he is anti-gay.

Also, it doesn't help that everyone who hates the BBC jumps on any bandwagon that catches their eye, regardless if they heard them first hand (Manuelgate)

If he were a homophobe, would he have Aled on the show with him?

DMC - the Young parody was only the latest of a number of incidents. Also, remember Sarah Palins "my best friend is a lesbian, but..." comments last year? Disassociation of the hatred from specific people but not the whole.

You'd also know that I don't hate the BBC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

He sails close to the wind, too close for some people, and some people he offends. He made a comment on Auschwitz a few months ago, and it seriously offended Paul Gambaccini. He apologised for that.

Moyles to me, is a good broadcaster, who has a tendency to cross the line. He certainly irks me at times. He's not everyone's cup of tea, and not every day he's my cup of tea either. Sometimes I wishes he'd play more music, (imo the Golden Hour on Fridays can be one of the tightest pieces of radio you'd hear anywhere on daytime radio) sometimes I'd wish he'd interview a person longer (or shorter!)

I know you don't hate the BBC, but Moyles can be used as a poster boy for all that is wrong with it. There are some people out there who will take any little bait, little Mary Whitehouses, and use it to complain to the BBC Trust or Ofcom or whoever.

Thats one reason why I hope Moyles stays. Not give in to those ****ers and give the BBC-bashers a "victory".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm only listening to Chris's rebuttal today. I'm surprised how calm and matter of fact he was about it. Hugely effective I thought.

He (Moyles) does cross the line now and again, but I think you can't sail as close to it as he does without doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

used to like his podcast but they have gone down a lot in standard of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

In April 2009 rumour was rife that Moyles was to be axed from his breakfast show later in the year. However this has been strongly denied by both BBC Radio 1 and Moyles's agent, Vivienne Clore. It has since been reported that Moyles is to agree a one year extension to his contract, taking him to July 2010.

From Wikipedia.
    So it says, BBC and Chris himself have denied it, and he has signed an extension?

The Sun, oh how much I hate The Sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I love the Moyles show. He's a bloody legend. I'd prefer the way he was when he did afternoons though. I still laugh at the downloaded clips.

If they get rid of him, I'll hang meself*.

*Note: Not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Chris apparently said: "Apart from anything, there's no one else. I'm the best. Scott Mills would be all right - but he wouldn't be as good as me. But it doesn't make any difference because I am not going. I'm not leaving."

http://bmacmedia.blogspot.com/2009/04/moyles-says-hes-staying.html

Advertisement