Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yeah its old, just fu*king play it!.....f*cker!

Options
  • 18-04-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

ok so theirs an old game (game that made a REAL impact) in ur heart u would recommend to ppl, what would it be?!

doesnt matter if its fps/prg/rts..etc

For me all i can say "Fps set in Ireland" Clive Barker Undying, its olllld but still scary as ****....... its not the graphics that makes this game but the unbelievable sound. All i can say is play it in the dark with the sound turned up REAL lound.

you can thank/curse me later later.........

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any chance you can title a thread without cursing?

Its not fncking big or clever... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've still got a soft spot for Quake II, and Unreal Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Deus Ex.

Which looked dated ON RELEASE, and is still more competent & ambitious than... well, pretty much any game since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Beneath a Steel Sky, of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I could name 100+ games..... pointless thread, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ned78 wrote: »
    I've still got a soft spot for Quake II, and Unreal Tournament.

Would you recommend them to people though? Quake II has aged horribly, and SP was pretty crap anyway in all fairness...

Super Metroid and SotN are both still massively enjoyable, and I'm already considering getting my ladyfriend to play through one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

System Shock II is still really playable. Excellent game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

tman wrote: »
    Super Metroid and SotN are both still massively enjoyable, and I'm already considering getting my ladyfriend to play through one of them

Good games. Both are amazing fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For all the people that blindly think FFVII is the best game/RPG ever go play Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden 2 or any other JRPG I could name that is better.

Super Metroid is pretty much essential for anyone that likes gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

tman wrote: »
    Would you recommend them to people though?

Unreal tournament is still great fun and always worth recommending

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

bestest most enjoyablest game in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For all the people that blindly think FFVII is the best game/RPG ever go play Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden 2 or any other JRPG I could name that is better.

LOL retro don't go against the grain or you'll have tons of ff7 fanboys on your back.

Btw, I started playing ff4 again except on ds. Feels weird hearing voices on kain and cecil but the mist village/ring scene was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well, going by the thread title, there are a few games that I've tried to get people to play, but due to not getting enough hype or exposure, and due to there being plenty of other mediocre high profile games out there, they probably never will:

I'll usually recommend

Psychonauts
    Penumbra: Black Plague
    Viking: Battle for Asgard
    Call of Juarez
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    Infernal
    (an old popular one) UFO: Enemy Unknown

All really good games imo that not a lot of people have played, some of them really shining in their last act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

starcraft. clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

What a game,back when I was about 10 or 11 I found that game on an old demo disc and loved it. Still need to track down a real copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Quake 3 Arena
    Starcraft
    Dungeon Keeper
    Worms
    Sensible Soccer
    Jonah Lomu Rugby (Playstation)
    Commander Keen
    Theme Hospital
    Theme Park
    Total Annihilation
    Grand Prix 2

....The list goes on really but that should be enough to get started :D (All PC with the stated exception)

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What a game,back when I was about 10 or 11 I found that game on an old demo disc and loved it. Still need to track down a real copy of it.

I know and the game doesn't even hit it's stride until the second disc :)

I've thought of another game. Gradius V is far and away my favourite PS2 game. Many people are put off 2D shoot'em ups for no good reason other than they look too tough or that they aren't 3D. Gradius V is very accessible and an absolute masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dungeon keeper or theme hospital its my dream that they make a new version of either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I can hear you brother.. the first Thief game. How old is considered old?

A nice site for getting musty old codger games running on the likes of XP and Vista: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ (VOGONS very old games on new systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have all the thiefs for the pc!, great game. We really need a new thief game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Elite

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For all the niche, anorak weirdos who like to go against the grain to be special and dismiss the opinions of those who don't agree with them: .......................eh.....try Red Alert 2. Still the best one

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Beyond Good and Evil.

Criminally overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

For all the people that blindly think FFVII [is the best game ever]
    Taxi for one!
    Btw, I started playing ff4 again except on ds. Feels weird hearing voices on kain and cecil but the mist village/ring scene was good.

Yeah FF4 was the best one

Deus Ex was superb and also the Dungeon Keeper series. But best old series was the Thief Series. It had it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Magic Candle II

Elite

Chuckys Egg

Star Swarm

Thief

Wolfeinstein 3D

Spirit of Excalibur

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Deus Ex.

Which looked dated ON RELEASE, and is still more competent & ambitious than... well, pretty much any game since.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Impossible Mission (c64)
    Elite (whichever)
    Quake 2 (Multiplayer)
    Monkey Island II (PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Operation Flashpoint never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Phototoxin wrote: »
    Taxi for one!
    I can't stand FFVII either. Random turn based battles are so fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I,LL still play call of duty 1,and timesplitters 1,classic fps games,the graphics still look good,SYSTEM shock 2 and deus ex have great storys ,better scripts than most new games ,theres a mod just released 4 deus ex 1.UNREAL tournament on the pc has loadsa mods,free maps and fantastic ai bots ,with varying skill levels,it was the first fps i played that had bots that play as good as human opponents ,while still being beatable.SOME of the free maps are unique ,with a wide range of environments,not like halo where maps are very similar.

Advertisement