Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing

• 18-04-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

I rarely post sports or from pix.ie , so I have probably made a FEW ERRORS ...
    anyway was photographing the U12 Boxing Irish Championships in the Satdium .
    The first mistake I made was not bring my flash, any other advice for a sports novice (photography wise :-) ) ?

http://pix.ie/thebaz/album/340851

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

thebaz wrote: »
    I rarely post sports or from pix.ie , so I have probably made a FEW ERRORS
    BTW Barry, if you want to embed the photos here, click on the large photo which will take you to the sizes page where you will find the Forum embed code which can be copied and pasted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks Marcus

D92126C4792B438AADAD57DE36B128A5-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Some lovely shots up there Barry.
    I especially like this one

C3207DDFDCD1438A9FA90063BEA6503E-500.jpg

Thanks Marcus
    Barry it looks like you copied the first code which is the HTML version (and the above image contains a broken link). Take a look at the second box, that contains the Forums embed code, ready to use on this forum. (You won't need to manually edit it...)

cheers Marcus - changed above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Hi Baz

What sort of lense were you using? I would have liked a bit less depth of focus in the action shot of the two boys in the ring.

I feel it's essential to capture a boxers facial expression which you did nicely. In terms catching a punch; you'll learn to feel
    when there is going to be one thrown & landed. Occasionally I like to lengthen the exposure length to achieve motion blur.
    But that comes down to personal aesthetic

Again I don't know what you are shooting; but I prefer to switch off auto focus and manually fix it to cover most of the ring,
    as it often cost me the shot while it struggles to refocus in low light conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Burnt wrote: »
    Hi Baz

What sort of lense were you using? I would have liked a bit less depth of focus in the action shot of the two boys in the ring.

I feel it's essential to capture a boxers facial expression which you did nicely. In terms catching a punch; you'll learn to feel
    when there is going to be one thrown & landed. Occasionally I like to lengthen the exposure length to achieve motion blur.
    But that comes down to personal aesthetic

Again I don't know what you are shooting; but I prefer to switch off auto focus and manually fix it to cover most of the ring,
    as it often cost me the shot while it struggles to refocus in low light conditions

Never shot boxing before but surely if you have a good camera and a good quaility lens it should have no trouble focusing in a boxing arena(?)

I have a D40x it struggles with the lighting conditions in many of the clubs I have attended; never shot in the national stadium

Burnt wrote: »
    I have a D40x it struggles with the lighting conditions in many of the clubs I have attended; never shot in the national stadium

Thanks Burnt, this is only second boxing event I covered, but hopefully many more :-)

I usded a 50 mm , with app set at 1.6 , iso between 800 and 1600 - as said I had no flash, next time I'll bring the flash

Thanks Burnt, this is only second boxing event I covered, but hopefully many more :-)

I usded a 50 mm , with app set at 1.6 , iso between 800 and 1600 - as said I had no flash, next time I'll bring the flash

Would you be allowed to shot flash? I'd say that might distract the contestants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

iampixie wrote: »
    Would you be allowed to shot flash? I'd say that might distract the contestants...

I share you're thoughts iampixie ????

To be honest when you fighting you barely see the referee never mind anything else; unless
    the contestant got hit with the flash straight in the face i doubt they would notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Nice pics, Barry. Might throw a bit more contrast onto the portrait shots though, could do it wonders - especially the one of the freckled child.

iampixie wrote: »

the other snapper, who was a veteran of boxing , was flashing away (in the proper sense !!!)

Advertisement