Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is that 'work of art' coming down???

• 18-04-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm fed up of looking at that picutre of the child hanging off the building on the quays.
    When is it coming down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

Because what's left behind when it comes down will be better?

I've always thought that a giant mirror on that side of the river would be a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

boniver wrote: »
    Because what's left behind when it comes down will be better?

I've always thought that a giant mirror on that side of the river would be a good idea!
    Haha! Epic! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Hopefully not until the eyesore behind it is demolished.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

To be honest, I am happy for it to stay up there or something else instead of it until the pile of ****e behind it get torn down. Its a disgrace that all those derelict building are still standing after all this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Aquos76 wrote: »
    To be honest, I am happy for it to stay up there or something else instead of it until the pile of ****e behind it get torn down. Its a disgrace that all those derelict building are still standing after all this time
    well if we did,nt have the issue between iaranroid eirann and the port of waterford company about access at the rail crossing or whatever it was over than it prob would have been torn down ages ago!!!! i,d hate to be living near that place when they start to demolish it with the amount of rats that will scurry out of the place,there,s prob millions of them in the silo,s alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

well if we did,nt have the issue between iaranroid eirann and the port of waterford company about access at the rail crossing or whatever it was over than it prob would have been torn down ages ago!!!! i,d hate to be living near that place when they start to demolish it with the amount of rats that will scurry out of the place,there,s prob millions of them in the silo,s alone

I've got this pipe I play.. I would be willing to lend my services :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

love2swim wrote: »
    I'm fed up of looking at that picutre of the child hanging off the building on the quays.
    When is it coming down?

what way does it affects ya in ? im sure people wud rather see that and it be a talking point with visitors here rather than a bleak ****hole of a buildings concrete view.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

When is it coming down?

I agree with u, think it looks horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I never liked those pictures either and the money they cost was absolutely absurd IMO, Amagine trying to justify paying that money now in the name of art!!
    Oh god be with the days of the Celtic Tiger when you had a bottomless pit of money to thrown at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

j walsh wrote: »
    I never liked those pictures either and the money they cost was absolutely absurd IMO, Amagine trying to justify paying that money now in the name of art!!
    Oh god be with the days of the Celtic Tiger when you had a bottomless pit of money to thrown at things.

The artist is a guy from Clonmel who paid for it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think that picture is the single best addition to the city in the last 10 years!

Love the idea about the mirror but the pic is cheaper.

Has anybody been inside those buildings, are they infested with rats?

I live in Ferrybank and have a massive fear of rats. The docks must have been the only place I didn't go on the 'duck'.

What happened when the grannery or the cow sheds were knocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 love2swim

anplaya wrote: »
    what way does it affects ya in ?

I dunno, it just gives me ire now. The thing that was there before it was grand - something about the tall ships in 2011 I think.

I presume that's still going ahead?! or has the whole thing gone down the recession swanee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I dunno, it just gives me ire now. The thing that was there before it was grand - something about the tall ships in 2011 I think.

The Tall Ships thing was looking increasingly stupid. It was for a campaign to get the Tall Ships back for 2011. That has long since been achieved. It was about 18 months overdue to come down when it finally did. It is almost like if a building-sized election poster was still up 18 months after an election. Which wouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 love2swim

Kahless wrote: »
    The Tall Ships thing was looking increasingly stupid. It was for a campaign to get the Tall Ships back for 2011. That has long since been achieved.

Okay then I'll give you that. But what about a new one then? Anything is better than that mournful child's face.

gobo99 wrote: »
    The artist is a guy from Clonmel who paid for it himself.
    Are you certain cause i heard it cost around 70k, maybe i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What happened to the Tall Ships poster? I much preferred that.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I like it. It's creepy, but it looks cool. :cool:

2896649130_e659d64e52.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think that picture is the single best addition to the city in the last 10 years!

Love the idea about the mirror but the pic is cheaper.

Has anybody been inside those buildings, are they infested with rats?

I live in Ferrybank and have a massive fear of rats. The docks must have been the only place I didn't go on the 'duck'.

What happened when the grannery or the cow sheds were knocked?

I live in Ferrybank too. And they ARE full of rats. It's unreal, massive ones too.

Plenty of feed was left behind, if you have a massive fear of rats, stay well away.

Agree about the pic, it was a good idea and looks well. Everyone's a critic. At least it was a positive step.

Would love to see a public space/civic area on that site, something like's Wexford's quay.

j walsh wrote: »
    Are you certain cause i heard it cost around 70k, maybe i'm wrong.

Not certain, i remember hearing that he'd paid for them himself when they were put up. I looked him up but cant find any thing on who paid for it.
    http://www.helnwein.com/news/update/artikel_3766.html

anyway i think it should be left there, get our moneys worth out of it.
    Mabey we cant afford to take it down:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I wonder if the kid knows her face is plastered in front of the entire city like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

the art was originally comissioned for an art festival last year by
    flash in revolution and a comittee of artists -
    was quiet impressive and i think i like the piece on the north quays -
    ive seen loads of tourists posing and taking pictures of it

id say leave it there -- it creates an interest on the north quays --

hes some press that started in Ireland --- but not its published in loads of international art magazines
    good publicity for Waterford

http://www.helnwein.com/presse/local_press/artikel_3622.html

http://www.helnwein.com/presse/local_press/artikel_3625.html

http://www.helnwein.com/presse/local_press/artikel_3623.html
    http://www.helnwein.com/presse/local_press/artikel_3647.html

http://www.helnwein.com/presse/local_press/artikel_3766.html

and the artist got an international award a few week ago for this art
    and Bob geldof got one as well for his work!!!!
    http://www.helnwein.com/presse/international_press/artikel_3807.html

let the city see more of this type of art!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Daysha wrote: »
    I wonder if the kid knows her face is plastered in front of the entire city like that.

Isn't it supposed to be a local girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

From tramore i think.

http://www.gottfriedhelnwein.ie/presse/international_press/artikel_3722.html
    Sometimes I’ve had the good luck to find models that have an enormous radiance and purity and I’ve worked together with them over several years. I found just such a child here in Waterford. Her name is Molly - she’s the 34-metre high “Waterford Child” on the Mill. I dedicated “The Last Child” project to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cityboi

it is Molly (surname withheld) from Tramore
    she was shortlisted by Gottfried

and he wants hre to go to LA and model for him

a real chance ---

she was at Skyfest chatting to Americans -- getting he photo take with her pic in the background --

have seen loads of tourists taking pictures of it --
    would be a shame to be removed ---

i did hear the organisers were trying to sell it to Dublin Docklands Authority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Typical Waterford attitude. Something done to actually make the city a bit different culture wise and you have people moaning. I really like it, as do quite a lot of people I know that were down visiting. Miles better than that ****ty mill anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

cityboi wrote: »
    it is Molly (surname withheld) from Tramore
    she was shortlisted by Gottfried

and he wants hre to go to LA and model for him

a real chance ---

she was at Skyfest chatting to Americans -- getting he photo take with her pic in the background --

have seen loads of tourists taking pictures of it --
    would be a shame to be removed ---

i did hear the organisers were trying to sell it to Dublin Docklands Authority
    if they sell it, it is a disgrace really unless they put something else up in place of it

Asmodean wrote: »
    Typical Waterford attitude. Something done to actually make the city a bit different culture wise and you have people moaning. I really like it, as do quite a lot of people I know that were down visiting. Miles better than that ****ty mill anyday.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Susan12345678

Please someone take it down, it freaks me out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Please someone take it down, it freaks me out!
    Put more up!!! Keep freaking her out :D

Advertisement