Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

porting to another network

• 18-04-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

on the o2 site it says this:
    Q. My phone is locked to the O2 network. How do I unlock it?
    A. Please call Customer Care if you would like your phone unlocked.

Some things to note before you call us; O2 Speak easy customers must have topped up a minimum of €150 in total before we can unlock the phone. Exceptions to this are if you are porting to another network or if you are roaming in another country with which O2 has no agreement.

what exactly is porting to another network? It isn't too clear from google-ing it. I was going to just ring up and say I was doing that (want to know what it is first) to get a free unlock code (only had the phone around 3 months).

thanks,

D500B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Porting is when you keep your number and move to another network.

It's been pointed out before but it is worth mentioning again i guess. It's basically a workaround for the min top up that o2 generally refuse to accept.

It's false and misleading one way or another but o2 don't seem to care when i've brought it up with them numerous times go numerous ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

If you're on another network but want to buy a phone from O2 (because it's cheaper than buying it from your own network) how do you buy the phone from them without actually having to sign up to O2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

well you can buy it sim-free but that'll cost you a fortune, you can buy prepay phones and then register and ring up customer care and they'll probably say you need to spend €X amount of credit before we can unlock it for you but then you say its urgent as you need to go to you bro/sis wedding or something in India, singapore, japan, china etc and they'll send you the code through text with the instructions on how to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Devil5434 wrote: »
    well you can buy it sim-free but that'll cost you a fortune, you can buy prepay phones and then register and ring up customer care and they'll probably say you need to spend €X amount of credit before we can unlock it for you but then you say its urgent as you need to go to you bro/sis wedding or something in India, singapore, japan, china etc and they'll send you the code through text with the instructions on how to use it
    thanks - I think I'll try that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Devil5434 wrote: »
    well you can buy it sim-free but that'll cost you a fortune

well thats not really true these days. you can walk into a shop and they'll sell you an unlocked E51 for about 300e but the price they have is intentionally high to make it easier for them to have you sign up with some network and the shop will in turn get money back from the network for signing up a customer.

if you look on ebay or other interweb sites you'll be able to get a brand new factory unlocked phone for just slightly more than it would cost to buy a locked / crippled version.

of course if you're sure you can unlock the phone and remove all the branding then its still a good idea to go for the one in the shop.

buying a phone on contract is basically a glorified version of hire purchase. you'll be paying back for your 'cheap' phone in the form of slightly overpriced minutes over the next 12 months or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yes, "surely". Try it and see please. If you push them long enough I don't see how they can refuse, but some companys really don't even seem to follow their own policys and proceures.

Let us know what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement