Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars pouches got smaller

• 18-04-2009 1:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For a while there, I was thinking that I was a complete savage because I'd started to get through those Mars pouches faster and faster. But yesterday, I picked up a bag of peanut M&Ms and noticed it felt significantly lighter. I looked at the price tag (in Tesco), which said Peanut M&Ms, 250gms, but on the back of the bag, it was only 175g. Next I looked at Malteasers, described as 200g on the tag, only to see it was only 140g in actuality. Same with Revels. So it turns out the pouches are now significantly smaller, while staying at the same price. Rip off indeed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If they are describing the wrong weight on the tag, thats illegal. Why not drop NCA (National Consumer Agency) a note - they will investigate especially as this seems to be widespread misinformation.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Working_With_You/Submit_a_Consumer_Complaint/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was in the UK and I doubt they'd actually checked the weights. Unless Mars informed them that the weights had been reduced, the staff probably wouldn't have noticed. At least it was the old weight displayed, not a made-up one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    It was in the UK and I doubt they'd actually checked the weights. Unless Mars informed them that the weights had been reduced, the staff probably wouldn't have noticed.
    If it is a legal requirement then I would think the onus is on the staff/shop to make sure it is alright, ignorance is no defence. I have been calculating "price per kilo" since I was a kid, I spot loads of incorrect ones in shops. I do not know what the law is on this topic, I doubt it is illegal since the real price is still correct.

Loads of multipack bars are smaller, I got cadburys caramels and they are only about 45g, which I find is a ideal size. There is always inflation so you are either going to pay more for the same, or the same for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Faith wrote: »
    For a while there, I was thinking that I was a complete savage because I'd started to get through those Mars pouches faster and faster. But yesterday, I picked up a bag of peanut M&Ms and noticed it felt significantly lighter. I looked at the price tag (in Tesco), which said Peanut M&Ms, 250gms, but on the back of the bag, it was only 175g. Next I looked at Malteasers, described as 200g on the tag, only to see it was only 140g in actuality. Same with Revels. So it turns out the pouches are now significantly smaller, while staying at the same price. Rip off indeed!

As a retail manager, (not with TESCO - but with another symbol group) retailers now have the option from buying off Mars Ireland or Mars UK. TESCO used buy off Mars Ireland but i'm guessing they switched like us. The bags to the best of my knowlodge are smaller in the UK than here. The barcode is the same - thats why tesco never changed the label but it just shows that MARS Ireland are not prepared to reduce costs to the Irish retailers in order to keep business.
    Pringles were 200g...then 170g.....now 155g
    rolo went from 12 sweets to 11
    bold washing powder went from 900g to 800g
    Fairy wash up went from 500ml to 450ml
    All the prices remained the same - there is loads more examples. The joys of working in retail!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Haha, conversely I was in my local Scotmid earlier, and they had Revels listed on the tag as 135g, but the bags they were selling were 180g. Guess it's just something to keep an eye on!

I'm relieved I'm not just turning into a savage though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement