Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News/Sport Presenters

• 18-04-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Who do you think are the best news presenters are in the radio industry and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I've grown fond of Michael McMullen.

Initially the silly accent was distracting, but over the last few years on Premiership live, he's proven himself a most able host and inquisitor, remaining impartial in even the most heated Roy Keane/Ireland , Liverpool/United or Celtic/Rangers debates, but eloquently & politely putting morons in their place when they're clearly wrong.

Back when I listened to Ray D'arcy, his McMullen's morning bulletins were informative & concise with no palsy-walsy banter, just a full report on the sport of the day combined with a clear friendly explanation for the common man where required. (On one bulletin , he explained the rules of Cricket for Ray (and therefore for me) in one clear, non-condescending conversation. Sky couldn't do that in 2 years. )

It's obvious from his broadcasts that he's genuinely enthusiastic about football, and sport in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

+1 for Moykal.
    I love when he stands in for Paul Collins on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show. He just gets on with it, no waffle or stupid accents. I've also mentioned elsewhere that he always seems to make on effort get the correct pronunciations of foreign football teams and players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There isn't one sport desk jockey who doesn't make me chew my fists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I like Eoin McDevitt on Newtalk. I think he does a good job.
    Moykal is good but I just can't get beyond that godawful dortspeak accent of his. It's a shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Dortspeak does it for me with Michael McMullen I'm afraid. Much as I hate to say it, what with his blinding knowledge and excellent interview skills, his accent grates on my senses.

I like Conor Lynch on i105-107 - a sports reporter with a great knowledge and excellent sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Michael McMullen excellent(even though you want to smash the radio on occasions with the accent!), as is Eoin on Newstalk..

Worst by a country mile - Gerry O'Sullivan!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shortymac

Michael Mc Mullen for me - Is straight to the point and ask's the questions you would ask yourself. I certainly do not mind his accent as long as the content is good to listen to. Particularly like the phone in on Sat eve. when he is out on his own in putting some idiots in their boxes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Moykal - heh.

He's good though.

Who's the guy on 98 who tries so hard to have a personality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Moykal - heh.

He's good though.

Who's the guy on 98 who tries so hard to have a personality?

It is probably Johnny Lyons,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

I have to say that I like Michael McMullen. His voice isn't too bad, and he knows his stuff.

Johnny Lyons voice is incredibly irritating, I actually can't listen to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Michael McMullen excellent(even though you want to smash the radio on occasions with the accent!), as is Eoin on Newstalk..

Worst by a country mile - Gerry O'Sullivan!

Brgds
    Johnny

Is that Jurry O'Sullivan:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Moichel Mc Mollen gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Brendan in 98 is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Has to be Eoin "Fat Boy" McDevitt

and

Ken "Ginger" Early for me

Those guys craic me up sometimes:D