Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD - worth it or wait?

Options
  • 18-04-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

My SO is going to Japan so I was wondering if it is worth getting her to pick up a SSD?
    The reviews and reports seem to be almost completely contradictory regarding real world usage after a short period of use rather than straight out of the box.

I was going to get a 60G or so drive just for my OS.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

would u buy a 60gig hard drive?....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

not unless it was really fast and was going to be used exclusively as an OS partition!
    my current OS partition uses 43G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Apparently, using Diskeeper (with it's HyperFast ability) with a SSD boosts performance of the drives considerably. SSD's are still very expensive but if you have the money to spare I suppose then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Supposedly the #1 benefit from an SSD is response time - no more sitting about like a lemon while something like Firefox arses about opening, with the caveat that only OCZ's Vertex and Intel drives are really worth it as the others either slow down too quick or jitter.

Madshrimps put up a couple of YouTube videos showing the real-world difference in startup times.

Advertisement