Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent speed tests

Options
  • 18-04-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I requested a speed increase on my Smart Telecom line. I was told my line max was 14mbps, though a couple of months ago it was, apparently, 20 Mbps. So I asked for the max ( 24 Mbps ) to test it over the weekend. speedtest.net gave me average 6.8 Mbps, about twice the previous mark of yesterday, which was odd, because my Heanet Ubuntu download goes exactly four times as fast as yesterday. So I tried irishisptest.com and I get 16 Mbps, which sounds about right.
    Why the discrepancy? Both are set for megabits, not megabytes, by the way.

J

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Speedtests aren't very reliable especially if you've got a good connection. Downloading something off heanet (like you did) is the best way to judge your connection speed.

Advertisement