Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment No.9. Double Exposure.

• 18-04-2009 2:51pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The theme is double exposure.

The rules:

All photos must be in by two weeks of starting date. (2nd May close)
    No old photos. All photos to be taken with task in mind.
    Photos must be on given task.
    One photo per post. Post as many posts as you want.
    Discuss in a negative/positive manner but be nice.
    Stretch yourself.
    Next task to be chosen by winner (most thanked) of previous task.
    Laugh more.

For example:

3439083683_d77999e36d.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

In Photoshop?
    Or are we doing this the good ol' fashioned way.. and heading into the darkroom?

-

There is nothing quite like the smell of developer in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'd vote for "non-photoshop", as these are supposed to be a photo challenge, as opposed to a PC challenge?

Or - perhaps two categories, one Trad., one Techno. :D
    (No musical puns intended!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I have no clue how to work with film and neither do i have a film camera right now... So i guess i'll have to figure out how to do it on lightroom (if its even possible)... Or just wait this one out............

It is possible to take a double exposure with a digital camera.
    Google is your "evil" friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

I have no clue how to work with film and neither do i have a film camera right now... So i guess i'll have to figure out how to do it on lightroom (if its even possible)... Or just wait this one out............

Cheat the system.
    Go get a cheap (or borrow someone's) 35mm camera.
    (you might be able to do this with a disposable as well)
    Shoot a roll of film in a "slightly darker than normal" environment.
    Rewind the film and feed it through the camera one more time.
    Shoot the same roll again normally.
    Get it developed normally.

Then just sit back and enjoy the madness that is you.
    ..and the horrified look on the face of the guy who processed your film; when he is standing there trying to explain to you that he does not know how/what happened..:D

Won't get you the best pictures in the world.. but it's a lot of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^That surely does sound like fun!!
    I might try it someday with one of those disposable cameras! Actually i'm not sure if you can rewind the film and insert it back in there in those cameras... Maybe i could just look into those cheap plastic 35mm camera.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ooops. Didn't realise there was a problem with digital as I don't use it myself. However I'd go with any one image overlayed with another. Can that be done?

It is good Af. You wouldn't be able to do it with a disposable though. You'd need a wind on. They're pretty inaffordable and fairly available too.

AFAIK the Nikon D60, D90, D300, D700, D3, D3X, Pentax K10D & K20D all have a multiple exposure mode. I haven't a clue about other makes or models (Nikon Blinkers :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Add D80 to the list.

34E426E41C684140B66D22D0119AA923.jpg

Taken on Fujiiso200 film with a Canon A1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 cash22

my D40 has an image overlay mode. Am I allowed to use that do you think??

cash22 wrote: »
    my D40 has an image overlay mode. Am I allowed to use that do you think??

Sure Cash. I'd take any kind of over-laying of one image over the other as I didn't know the difficulty with digital.
    Sure if you pop it up it would be easier to judge its suitability.

Well, here's my effort with digital (in camera, no processing)

not quite as difficult as humberklog's skillful efforts with film I'm thinking!

3460935048_ee2e72331a_o.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8004713@N07/3460935048/

That's really smart Cash. Nice dizzy feel of mind slipping. Good board by the way.

It does take a bit of skill with film but it's really just practice and memory training.
    When I'm at the sea I usually take a snap before I leave. But I've to remember at what point the horizon is on the view finder and at what angle the view is (level is easiest). Then later when something takes my eye for matching over the image that's on the film (and in the brain) I reposition and shoot back over the exposure. The sea shot was on Saturday afternoon. The overlayed exposure was taken later that night in the city (Brown Thomas window). I had to remember at what level the horizon was at and make sure I was level.
    It's a bit of skill, a bit of luck and a large dollop of making your own luck.

With that shot I would have prefered if the hand bag boxes were between the end of the jetty and at the same place on top as is on the photo and if the middle box was a little better centralised on the jetty too. But thems the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Am new to this . I was out shooting on Sun morning in Dublin and got some nice shots of tourists and the GPO.
    Hope this meets the double ex rule.
    If not let me know if it is any good.

My Camera is a Nikon D60 with 18-55mm

blackandwhitecouplecomp.jpg

Cracking shot Milos. I love the the leaves make freckles on the faces.

Any chance you could open the photo up on thread? There's an easy guide on the FAQ sticky on the top of the forum's page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

humberklog wrote: »
    Cracking shot Milos. I love the the leaves make freckles on the faces.

Any chance you could open the photo up on thread? There's an easy guide on the FAQ sticky on the top of the forum's page.

Trying to do so now but how do i display my picture here without using an attachment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Hey guys, since its double exposure and digital overlays are welcome, am I allowed to use flash painting to give the double exposure effect?

Hey guys, since its double exposure and digital overlays are welcome, am I allowed to use flash painting to give the double exposure effect?
    I don't know what that is.
    But if it is two seperate photographs overlayed then yes. If not then no.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't know what that is.
    But if it is two seperate photographs overlayed then yes. If not then no.

He's probably talking about this make sure to scroll nearly all the way to the bottom to the Group Shot. Interesting reading.

He's probably talking about this make sure to scroll nearly all the way to the bottom to the Group Shot. Interesting reading.
    Cheers Pan'B.

Goodbuy that's smart stuff but doesn't really fit with topic. I see where you're coming from but I also see where it veers off a little.

Could be a good idea for a seperate assignment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

:) Thanks, the specific use of flash painting I was speaking about gives the same effect as a double exposure, for example two ghosts of the same person, but yeah sounds like a possible assignment

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

Statue-tree
    E6FA15AA58684F769C61E28671EF81F3-800.jpg

3486029172_2e1cb3ee6f_o.jpg

Taken with an olympus trip 35. You have to guesstimate how much to wind back. Which is why the frame on the right has remained in single exp.

So milos, you're the winner.....
    Challenge us.....;)

Advertisement