Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card recommendation for Compaq Evo

Options
  • 18-04-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I just bought a Compaq Evo D510 series AFF, P4 2Ghz, and want to get a cheap graphics card on Ebay for general use and a few strategy games, Civ 4, Medieval TW and such , nothing too demanding. What could anyone recommend?

I also upgraded the ram to 1 Gb, the next step would be 1.5 Gb (two slots in total). Will it make much difference, or will it only be noticeable if I go for 2 Gb?

Finally, I added a second HD, it has Linux installed. Is there any way I can access them alternatively, on log on, without having to open the case and unplug the master HD?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Hmm it depends how old is the PC?
    It's using a Pentium 4 at 2Ghz so I'd say it has an old motherboard.
    What slot does it have for a graphics card AGP or PCI-E?

Can you not just access your boot menu after turning on the PC and select the other Hard Drive to boot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

http://cgi.ebay.ie/256MB-XFX-7600GT-PCI-E-GRAPHICS-HD-VIDEO-CARD-7600-GT_W0QQitemZ200334374851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW?hash=item200334374851&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This card here is PCI-E very cheap at €40 (I paid €150 for one 2/3 years ago) and will run games like Half-Life 2 and Far Cry no prblem at 1280x1024 resolution so I'd say it'll handle strategy games no problem. The RAM would be useful if your doing lots at once, and it's cheap nowadays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its agp, the above cards won't work.

Joanamo wrote: »
    I just bought a Compaq Evo D510 series AFF, P4 2Ghz, and want to get a cheap graphics card on Ebay for general use and a few strategy games, Civ 4, Medieval TW and such , nothing too demanding. What could anyone recommend?

Nothing its not worth upgrading. I would check adverts here for a AGP card, but they are rare now days as its dead tech

I also upgraded the ram to 1 Gb, the next step would be 1.5 Gb (two slots in total). Will it make much difference, or will it only be noticeable if I go for 2 Gb?

With XP, you won't notice much of a difference. Still a waste of money unless your getting the ram for a pittance.
    Finally, I added a second HD, it has Linux installed. Is there any way I can access them alternatively, on log on, without having to open the case and unplug the master HD?

Thanks

J

Grub boot loader.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Thanks, Cuddlesworth. Yes, it is AGP. Is it a problem that it's small form factor? I found a 128 mb card for under E50 in Maplin. Since I paid so little for the pc, it's worth an upgrade, I just want to make sure it fits.

J

• Advertisement

Doubt it would be worth it. Low profile cards are hard to get and any card which is agp and low profile is really worth about 5 quid at most.

Advertisement