Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamon Dunphy's greatest Rep of Ireland XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I listened to that at the time and laughed so much at the Doyle inclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Whatever about the exclusion of Robbie. That is a f***ing cracking looking midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't think Doyle's inclusion is strange in the slightest. His all-round game is very, very good.

Keeping his fellow pundits happy-not that I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

that's just one of them. What about Lawrenson, Moran or O'Leary ahead of Hurley.

Staunton, Chris Hughton ahead of Tony Dunne.

Up front, Aldridge and probably a few more to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone who listens to Dunphy instead of criticising him would know he rates Doyle very highly and always has.

p.s. Doyle is a better player than Robbie anyway. Goals Robbie has more but Doyles all round play is far better.

thegen wrote: »
    that's just one of them. What about Lawrenson, Moran or O'Leary ahead of Hurley.

Staunton, Chris Hughton ahead of Tony Dunne.

Up front, Aldridge and probably a few more to boot.

Why ?

You do know we did have great players playing for us before the 1980's.

redout wrote: »
    Anyone who listens to Dunphy instead of criticising him would know he rates Doyle very highly and always has.

He is not alone. John Giles reckons he is easily good enough for a top6 (even top 4) club and has printed as much in the Herald on many ocassion.

He is having a weaker end of the season though.

However, taking an average of his two seasons in the prem goalwise is impressive enough. When you see Adebayor stroll around the pitch for Arsenal like he doesn't care I think it is easy to see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Why ?

You do know we did have great players playing for us before the 1980's.

Yes I do know, saw footage of the players mentioned. But after all this forum is about Dunphys choices and questioning them , not to question my choices.

The midfield is superb. Giles is from the 50, 60 and 70's no questioning him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

that's a pretty solid team right there! Good selections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

No Gary Breens?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Robbie Keane in 2002 is better than anything Kevin Doyle will ever amount to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Not including the all-time Irish goalscorer in the all-time Irish XI is bordering on lunacy.

But this is Eamonn Dunphy we're talking about after all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Disappointed there's no Zinedine Kilbane in there tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Kevin Doyle over Robbie Keane = Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Best XI's and Top 10 lists etc. only serve one purpose = debate

Dunphy 1 - 0 Boards

Wow, the Robbie Keane hype is amazing.

When Doyle improves his Ireland goal scoring record over the next few years-his other attributes will push him over the top for me.

Keane can be marked out of a game-Doyle can't.

We can't dismiss Keane just because he has scored 75% of his goals aginst crap opponents-I agree-but surely you all can see the contribution Kevin Doyle has made since becoming a regular-nothing short of outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

noodler wrote: »
    Keane can be marked out of a game-Doyle can't.

Any player can be marked out of a game once the correct marker is on him. Im sure other national managers see Keane as a bigger threat to score goals more than doyler hence why they would pick a player to man mark him.

Either player is a decent pick for me but at the end until Kevin does well in a Major Championship like Robbie did then Keane is in for me.

I am just saying there is a case to be made. I would pick Keane for his overall contribution-I can't pick Doyle based on how much more he WILL achieve but we will see.

I will rephrase though-Keane can be anonymous on the pitch for 90 minutes, Doyle is never out of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A striker can have great all round play but if he does not add the gols then he may as well be a winger or an MC.

Keane >>>>>>> Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Niall Quinn was better than both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well his all round play was quite good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why isn't Clinton Morrison in there? :rolleyes:

Also as good a keeper that Shay Given is I'm a little surprised he didn't go for Bonner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow, that midfield would crush.

A striker can have great all round play but if he does not add the gols then he may as well be a winger or an MC.

Keane >>>>>>> Doyle

That is very naive, especially considering Doyle's Irish performances over the last 3/4 years. The amount of games against superior opposition where he is holding the ball up, /contesting/winning every long ball we pump at him and generally working his socks off to gain us ground. You don't generally see Keane scoring in these games, nevertheless the difference between Keane and Doyle's respective performances in such situations is overwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That he's seen or played with:

-Shay Given

-Dennis Irwin
    -Paul McGrath
    -Charlie Hurley
    -Tony Dunne

-Liam Brady
    -John Giles
    -Roy Keane
    -Ronnie Whelan

-Frank Stapleton
    -Kevin Doyle

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ian-Dempsey-Breakfast-Show/podcastaudio.aspx

Hard to argue with most of the choices but Doyle ahead of Keane :confused:

I find it hilarious that you of all people Denis Irwin have spelled Irwins name as Dennis Irwin...if you catch my drift?:D

...anyway cracking team, but Robbie Keanes exclusion is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Kevin Doyle is a good championship striker, no more no less. To suggest that he's been a better striker over the years than Quinn, Aldridge and Keane is ridiculous imo.

Kevin Doyle is a good championship striker, no more no less. To suggest that he's been a better striker over the years than Quinn, Aldridge and Keane is ridiculous imo.

Eh...yeah...except for when he is scoring goals in the premiership.

This your first season following football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Don't know why people are amazed at keane's exclusion. it's a Dunphy list. Name 9 near guarantee's with one choice to get people kind of talking and then say something so ridiculous it will get you attention. He's a troll

• Advertisement

Yeah, with a relegated team. You from Wexford perchance?

Yeah, with a relegated team. You from Wexford perchance?

Ahahaha

What about the season before that?

This is my main problem with the fairweather Irish supporters. Keane's goalscoring record can't really be knocked but then someone posts a Keane Vs Doyle comparison and of course some people simply can't recognise the other qualities in Doyle's performances besides goals.

Theres no need to try and completely downtalk Doyle just because you feel Keane should be in the best XI.

Ahahaha

What about the season before that?

This is my main problem with the fairweather Irish supporters. Keane's goalscoring record can't really be knocked but then someone posts a Keane Vs Doyle comparison and of course some people simply can't recognise the other qualities in Doyle's performances besides goals.

Nobody's saying he's useless but strikers need more than hard work. Plenty of premier league managers were unwilling to splash the cash after all.

Kevin Doyle is a good championship striker, no more no less.

That is a ridiculous assertion.

That is a ridiculous assertion.

I repeat good championship striker, average premier league striker. Robbie Keane has been a good premier league striker for virtually his entire career.

Forget about Keane, your above statement is the problem.

Doyle is clearly better than the level he is playing at.

• Advertisement

He's clearly doing well with a decent championship team but you could have said the same about David Nugent to be fair.

Doyle got 13 in the prem in his first shot.

Nugent....ehh......

Yeah exactly.

The stuff he does for Ireland when we are under the kosh is amazing-I worry that you haven't noticed it.

Fair play, Doyle works hard but that doesn't mean he should be in Ireland's greatest team ever.

By the way, he got 6 goals in 36 games in the second season.

In an average Reading team.

Keane has like 8 this season? Does that make him crap?

Work hard is hardly doing what he does for the team justice. He has consistently been better for Ireland than Keane since he came on the scene.

Anyway Keane is actually, despite what I posted here, irrelevant to the discussion you and myself are having about Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Keane is so overrated....sure he's got a 1:2 goal ratio for Ireland, is our top goalscorer of all time, has a shedload of assists and has scored numerous crucial goals for us but when is the last time he scored a hat-trick of overhead kicks from the half way line or did one of those Ronaldo free kicks with the funny ball flight or beat 7 players before putting it through the goalkeepers legs.....:rolleyes:

Honestly cant believe people are comparing Doyle to Keane. It makes me sad that Keane is so under appreciated by a lot of Ireland fans. He works so hard for the team and does a lot of stuff that goes completely unnoticed by those just waiting for him to make his next mistake so they can cry about how he does nothing for Ireland and should be dropped:rolleyes:

PS. I really like and rate Doyle btw but we're talking different levels(at the moment).....to say he belongs in an Ireland 11 based on both players careers to date is laughable.

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    Keane is so overrated....sure he's got a 1:2 goal ratio for Ireland, is our top goalscorer of all time, has a shedload of assists and has scored numerous crucial goals for us but when is the last time he scored a hat-trick of overhead kicks from the half way line or did one of those Ronaldo free kicks with the funny ball flight or beat 7 players before putting it through the goalkeepers legs.....:rolleyes:

Honestly cant believe people are comparing Doyle to Keane. It makes me sad that Keane is so under appreciated by a lot of Ireland fans. He works so hard for the team and does a lot of stuff that goes completely unnoticed by those just waiting for him to make his next mistake so they can cry about how he does nothing for Ireland and should be dropped:rolleyes:

PS. I really Doyle btw but we're talking different levels(at the moment).....to say he belongs in an Ireland 11 based on both players careers to date is laughable.

I worry for the state of Irish football. Doyle has been better for Ireland than Keane since he showed up.

Far too many rollie-eyes by the way.

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think he deserves to be in Ireland's greatest ever team and you're not going to change my mind!

I haven't mentioned Keane for my last two posts by the way!

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think he deserves to be in Ireland's greatest ever team and you're not going to change my mind!

I haven't mentioned Keane for my last two posts by the way!

Unbelievable.

If you had read the thread you would see where I have Keane ahead of Doyle in any such team.

Our argument is based on Doyle alone-unfortunately you keep trying to pretend it is not.

Unbelievable.

If you had read the thread you would see where I have Keane ahead of Doyle in any such team.

Our argument is based on Doyle alone-unfortunately you keep trying to pretend it is not.

Ok apologies, I wasn't taking notes, the tone of your comments suggested otherwise to me.

Okay we can end on that.

You rate Doyle as a good Championship striker and nothing more. I rate him a fair bit higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I honestly think Doyle could do a decent job in a good premsiership side, let alone a yo-yo team.

Good to see Stapo in. Can't believe people rate Robbie over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Aldridge and Quinn head of Doyle .I think Keane is class and is a far better player than Kuyt or Doyle tbh.

Id go for Duff upfront with Stapo. His performances at the world cup in 2002 was world class.

Given is the best Irish keeper in the last 20 years by far.

Nunu wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that you of all people Denis Irwin have spelled Irwins name as Dennis Irwin...if you catch my drift?:D

...anyway cracking team, but Robbie Keanes exclusion is laughable.

:o

Of all the names it had to be :D

Advertisement