Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting a loan

Options
  • 18-04-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice on what to bring/wear when getting a loan.

I need about 3-5k to get my life together.

I've been in college for 5 years (undergrad hons degree and postgrad qualification). My finances haven't been great but nothing terrible.

I've never applied for a loan before and none of my friends know for definite.

I'm with Boi but I might try the credit union as well or see how it goes.

When I go in to enquire will I be brought to talk to some one?

I'm a journalist, so my income would be part-time job supported by freelance work. Should I bring my portfolio, references, typical rate card?

whats the norm?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd advise you make an appointment to sit down with a customer advisor to go through the application. You could try the credit union, but AFAIK they'll generally only lend to you if you've got savings there, so if you don't there might not be much point applying.

I don't think the branch will really be interested in seeing your portfolio, they'll more likely be looking for some sort of backup to prove that you've got the earning capacity to repay the loan. Have you got a part time job at the moment? If so, it might be a good idea to bring you contract from work. What they'll more likely be looking at is how you have managed your accounts in the past. If you apply with BOI they'll be able to look back through your account and see. If you decide to apply elsewhere, my advice would be bring bank statements for the last 6 months with you when you apply. They'll most likely get back to you asking for these anyway so it'll save time if you have them at the time of the application.

As regards what to wear, it doesn't really matter TBH (especially considering you can apply over the phone or online nowdays) but I'd say wear something smart/casual.

Advertisement