Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal scene in Limerick..

• 18-04-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey im just wondering about the metal scene in Lim,is it good?Are there any or many bars like Fibbers in the city?..Im thinking of going there for college so im pretty curious..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is not that good at all to be honest.

Dolans (music venue) gets some good bands every now and then plus a lot of cover bands. A few other places have rock/indie nights where some metal gets played.

Costellos bar near the city centre is probably the only place that has metal/indie/rock on a fairly regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pooh-bah wrote: »
    Hey im just wondering about the metal scene in Lim,is it good?Are there any or many bars like Fibbers in the city?..Im thinking of going there for college so im pretty curious..
    Get yourself on the back of a Motorbike and come along to some of the many limerick based MCC & MC Bike rallies, live bands etc. :)

Bikers Bible gives you a rough guide. http://www.irishbikersbible.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I'm an old limerick city raver. Have to agree with the above posts, not much of a sence but I love Costellos - simple fact you can let loose - no posers like other nightclubs. Deffo check out the IRISHBIKERS, they'll point you in the rith direction.

Seek and you shall find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

It's not great to be honest. Baker's place does hold gigs sometimes but I dont know what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

Cool,thanks for all the info!..I know plenty metalers there so well just have to make our own fun id say!..ill check out those links too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Bring back the high stool!

The high stool?..

High Stool was a pub that had a good range of metal played in it. Once upon a time

Well in that case,bring back the high stool!!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

ah the high stool!! now there is a blast from the past. had a decent jukebox back in the day too. There used to be decent rock/metal gigs in the boat clubhouse back in the day too. Had some mad nights in der. And termites.............this is turning into a nostalgia trip for me..............must go to lobster pot!!

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    ah the high stool!! now there is a blast from the past. had a decent jukebox back in the day too. There used to be decent rock/metal gigs in the boat clubhouse back in the day too. Had some mad nights in der. And termites.............this is turning into a nostalgia trip for me..............must go to lobster pot!![/QUOTE]

Now those two names just fit together. I have great memories of staggering from Termites after a night of music I love plus booze, and heading to the lobster pot for a garlic chip and cheese with some battered suasages. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Were you there around 2000?

remember Club Heresy?? ( It was down the back of the pub!!)

well I have loads of photos posted of the good old days

check here and see if you can find yourself from back
    when you still had hair!:D

http://picasaweb.google.com/ericorpaddy/ClubHeresyAtTheHighStoolLimerick

Coyote1.

sweet zombie jesus!!

I feel like i have stepped back in time. Just looking at those pics is weird..........................The tortured goth kids, the lesbian goth chicks, the hairy rockers, the boozers and the rest of us. Recognise a few faces in there too esp my own on pic no5. There was some crazy nites in there for sure.........................

Thanks for the nostalgoa trip CCSL

Do you mind if i send this link to a few mates as they wold love to see some of these old pics

Pass it on all you like.
    I will leave it up on picassaweb.

It was myself and Garry Jackson and the Girls that used to run the
    Heresy Nights there.

Ahh the Memories the fuzzy fuzzy vague drunken memories.....:P

Burn those pics, I am in one of them!!!!

Spotted a lot of familiar faces in there. If you use Boards.ie Giz, then you were an uglier barsteward before you grew your face fungus. :)

Colin AKA the GIZZ winner of Limericks happiest little mettler 2000 2001 and 2002.

Got sponsorship from Pantene in 2003 for his flowing locks and has disapeared to obscurity ever since.

The Gizz in all his gizziness

:D

CCSL

Are you freakin kidding me!!

Thts me, second from left!!

feelin a bit dizzy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

nice memories. why did it close again?! anyone remember when electric eel shock played there. that was some gig. naked drummer and all.
    they had some fine birds serving there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Wow, some flashback memories there!
    Little before my time though, I would have started going there in 2001.
    Good good times though.

Wasnt the end reason for it closing something to do with tax avoidance?
    I remember the owner lost his 'club' licence for a while too.

I wasn't living in Limerick when it actually shut down though, so I don't know the details of it.

Has to be said ..that jukebox was just the best.

CCSL wrote: »
    Colin AKA the GIZZ winner of Limericks happiest little mettler 2000 2001 and 2002.

Got sponsorship from Pantene in 2003 for his flowing locks and has disapeared to obscurity ever since.

The Gizz in all his gizziness

CCSL

Lat time I saw him he was working nights in the Maxol on the Dublin road. Drove in to get some munchies and there he was staring across the counter at me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

metal scene in Limerick is quite strong at the moment.

Zealot Cult are getting loads of support slots with international acts, next one is Atheist in September I think.

dark_matter got Hot press band of the fortnight in one of the April issues.

Shardborne have just released an EP that people are raving about.

Three Hour Ceasefire are gigging all over the place too.

And The Siege of Limerick attracted 420 punters form all over the country last month.

happy days!

I'd tell ye about next Tuesday's metal gig in Cobblestone Joe's, but then I'd get done for spamming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Story Martin,

Not to nitpick but that Atheist gig is in June, not September..

Sound Aaron, I should've checked that before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Not trying to be a prick but you should probably start a new thread if ya want to talk about metal in Limerick as I'm sure the mods will lock this one since the last post was in 2009!

You're not being a prick, just dogmatic :)

Do yourself a favour and try not internalise the rigid, anally retentive thinking that characterises this site's moderation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Ha trust me I dont really care for the strict moderation, just saying that its usually what happens around here.

Advertisement