Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a video of your swing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭sternpeak

whizbang wrote: »
    Sternpeak, looks like you have a lot of distance as said, but your awful tight on the club, choking down big time.
    got to let it loose! -bring your hands closer together and more to the end of the club, then let the club do the work. "bend the knees" bit will work better also. best of luck.

hey whiz, how do u mean choking down big time ? i seem to play lower down the shaft on the shorter irons / wedges, and up the shaft on 8-3wood.

I dont do any locking grip atall, I feel perfect just normal grip. I think i might retry bending the knees but when i use to do it i sliced a hell of a lot more than i am now. i need to work on bending my righ arm when near the top of my swing as its not bent enough i find to get the full swing, im feeling alot better with a straight left arm (recently changed that) as i use to bend and swing all over the place :P cheers for the help, do reply to my questions thanks.

stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Went for a game with a Pro friend with all the technology. Hers the slow-mo of my swing

Here the driver. A little John Daly-esque :D

Then the three wood

Can a mod edit these to embed? Won't work for me:(

Oh and BTW..I used to post a bit but lurked for ages. New name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Went for a game with a Pro friend with all the technology. Hers the slow-mo of my swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Q6PFTogAs

Then the three wood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGb4vSEEsGY

I'll take a go,:D as I spend a heap of time videoing and analyzing my own swing.

Officially 16 but I know I will be cut once scoring comps come back in as playing alot better at the moment..

Anyway,

Front view:

Actually pretty nice from what I can see. Good balance, great weight transfer (probably too much, hence the right foot slide:)). Like the way you are transitioning into the downswing before you complete your back swing. Spine angle kept back throughout which is good (i.e. no reverse pivot)

Down the line:

A little bit closed on the stance and your downswing is inside the line of your backswing. I'd say you hit a lovely draw but block/hook the ball from time to time.

There is a nice bit of overswing going on there too and your crossing the line at the top.

All in all, its pretty good, quite powerful too, but who am I to say..:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Old video but still good fun.

Happy gilmore strike on a par 3 with friends, stitched for about 2 feet for birdie :)

Practising a few years ago, a good few years ago !

Practice round of Barton cup, forget the course, was a nice 5 wood that set me up for an eagle putt.

Gonna get the old fella to grab a few videos this weekend, keep things fresh. I'd love to compare my swing now to the two above when I was playing off 6, I'm a bit bigger now ( height and width :/ )

Also a great way to nit pick at your swing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

Then the three wood

I'll have a go if you don't mind?

Your set up position in the top video is not bad at all, it the lower pic the ball is a little too far forward in your stance and should be more at the inside of your left foot.

Your takeaway shows the flaw in you swing and it's basically caused by your takeaway being driven by your hands and not by your arms and shoulders. This results in you picking the club up somewhat and is making you lose width in your swing, that is why you can see the club out of your left eye on your backswing at the top and also your hands being very close to your right shoulder. This lack of width cause power loss in the swing and it also makes it difficult for you to return the club on plane and squarely to the ball. Ideally you need your hands far away from your right shoulder at the top of the swing, you should also not be able to see the club out of the corner of your eye. I think you hip work is fairly good, another slight flaw I see is that you lean back a bit at impact, rather than staying over the ball a bit more. You probably have a tendency to hit the ball high on some shots?

Overall, I think your set up is good, with a good powerful driving move starting your down swing by your hips/legs, but you need to take the club away in a more connected way with your arms and shoulders (not the hands) and keep your hands well away from your right shoulder at the top of the swing. If your could stay over the ball a bit more at impact it would help keep your ball flight down a bit too.

With a lesson to get you on the right track I think you could do very well and improve your swing a lot with not too much effort, I think you have the potential to hit the ball a long way!

Best of luck with it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

here's me:

i know im standing too far away form the ball at the moment, i don't know if there's anything i can do about that until i lose some weight but im working on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

i know im standing too far away form the ball at the moment, i don't know if there's anything i can do about that until i lose some weight but im working on it!

Say that one is still flying ... ;)

ive always had a very high launch but those crappy range balls dont help

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

looks like an excellent swing to me,great hands through impact

knees maybe looked a little rigid at address in the first one alright

im no expert anyway,so keep up the good work matt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Nice swing Matt. Greystones Driving Range right?..Don't be blaming the range balls :):) Pinnacle range balls....no better ball in any range in Ireland I'd say!!!

• Advertisement

ha ha they're better than average alright, still like hitting bricks! range is great since new ownership!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Agreed!!.... Nice place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Great looking swing, alot of speed too.

Cheers, having a bit of difficulty leaving things out to the right and being consistant, i think its to do with my left wrist, damaged it a few years ago and have difficulty releasing through the ball sometimes.

Cheers, having a bit of difficulty leaving things out to the right and being consistant, i think its to do with my left wrist, damaged it a few years ago and have difficulty releasing through the ball sometimes.

My problem was the miss right too Matt. I changed my grip to a strong left hand grip with more knuckles showing and it has worked for me in eliminating alot of the right misses. It feels awful and very tight up the left forearm at first but it has straightened me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    My problem was the miss right too Matt. I changed my grip to a strong left hand grip with more knuckles showing and it has worked for me in eliminating alot of the right misses. It feels awful and very tight up the left forearm at first but it has straightened me out.

Would you not fix your plane instead? How many knuckles 'from and to' have you gone to?

Do you ever hook the ball?

Whyner wrote: »
    Would you not fix your plane instead? How many knuckles 'from and to' have you gone to?

I didn't mess too much with trying to groove a new swing plane, I am after all a recreational golfer and don't have alot of time to practice.
    I do bring it back on the inside a little more than before and along with the strong left hand grip I have success and hit it straighter than before. I now have 3 knuckles on the left hand visible at address.
    Whyner wrote: »
    Do you ever hook the ball?

No hooks but occasional pulls to the right.

changing the sing plane would only help a left to right flight pattern not a push out to the right i think.

leafing the ball out right generally means poor release throught the ball from my swing thinkings so a slightly stronger group should help.

i know what ill be trying this weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Been meaning to throw a couple of vids up. Few here from Arklow at the end of Feb. Excuse the pants, any other abuse welcome :D

First up, an 8 iron to 3 feet. Video cut off a little abruptly so you miss all the cheering and fist-pumping.

Second was a wild push out to the right. Sliding hips, most hated flaw in my swing. Suggestions welcome.

Finally, driver off 18. Right out of the heel, started left, finished perfect. A safe shot but sadly, not one I can repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Been meaning to throw a couple of vids up. Few here from Arklow at the end of Feb. Excuse the pants, any other abuse welcome :D

First up, an 8 iron to 3 feet. Video cut off a little abruptly so you miss all the cheering and fist-pumping.

Second was a wild push out to the right. Sliding hips, most hated flaw in my swing. Suggestions welcome.

Finally, driver off 18. Right out of the heel, started left, finished perfect. A safe shot but sadly, not one I can repeat.

Ur friend is comical, "some pose tha" , "little slider but she'l woork" :)

• Advertisement

What handicap are you Benicetomonty..? Making's of a class swing there, you working on anything .?

k.p.h wrote: »
    What handicap are you Benicetomonty..? Making's of a class swing there, you working on anything .?
    Thanks kph. Im off 3 right now but was off 1 a couple of years ago so going the wrong way unfortunately. Short game has been the main problem, so Im always working on that. Swing-wise, I got a lesson a while ago that showed me how flat I was at impact and through the ball. sounds complicated but made a lot of sense to me, it was well explained. That hip slide is also vexing-a bad habit Ive had for a long time and have always struggled to shake it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks kph. Im off 3 right now but was off 1 a couple of years ago so going the wrong way unfortunately. Short game has been the main problem, so Im always working on that. Swing-wise, I got a lesson a while ago that showed me how flat I was at impact and through the ball. sounds complicated but made a lot of sense to me, it was well explained. That hip slide is also vexing-a bad habit Ive had for a long time and have always struggled to shake it!

Nice looking solid swing. You appear to line up your driver a long way behind the ball (a good 6 inches). Any particular reason for that or is it the natural low point of your swing with the driver?

Yeah, I've gotten questioned on that before! Have done it for a few years now after I saw Harrington do something similar with his driver once. I've exaggerated it a little since I started doing it but has become habit now. Something to do with visualsing a long, wide take away, keeping the club close to the ground. It's only on camera that I can see how strange it looks, but feels fine when I'm over it. I very rarely sky or top a drive so might be worth a try if you struggle with either of those shots with the driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

To me it looks like your right leg is straightening up quite a lot on the backswing. This means that your hips are allowed to move or sway, as you've pointed out. It also means your hips have to sway back in the opposite direction in order for you to get square to the ball. It's very apparent in the 3rd video. If you don't keep your right knee bent, you cannot maintain the body position you need. The very first movement in your swing is for your hips to move backwards - this is even before you start moving your hands/shoulders.

Try keeping the weight on the inside of your right foot on the backswing. Practice by putting a door wedge or something bigger like a golf ball under the outside of your right foot and take your swing just to get a feel for it. You need to keep the weight on the inside with your leg almost as bent as it was at address or your body (hips in your case) will sway you won't get square at impact.

Thought you would be low enough alright, you bad habits are obvious enough in the sense that the first thing I noticed was the starting the back swing with the hip slide, but then I just played the video a few more times and and realized everything else was absolutely ace. Can't really say much about your swing because I would be delighted if I had a swing as good, but ... if you managed to get the back swing started with your shoulders instead of your hips (and still ended up in the same place at the top and fire through in the same manner) your swing would be almost indistinguishable from a lot of the pro's.

Not sure if you would want to do that as one of the other threads about "looking good vs being good" discussed. Might not be worth the change as it's going so good for you as it stands and it's obviously not an issue.

Anyway great swing, lovely tempo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I've been trying to combat a large overswing and slow down for more consistency. Been reading a lot about a one-plane swing to achieve both of these. I don't think I'm anywhere near yet - but improving I hope!

Any advice welcome.....

I've been trying to combat a large overswing and slow down for more consistency. Been reading a lot about a one-plane swing to achieve both of these. I don't think I'm anywhere near yet - but improving I hope!

Any advice welcome.....

Like most amateurs including me, your posture is changing on your downswing (your standing up so to speak).

Your pushing your hips towards the ball instead of towards the target.

If you put a line on your butt and right knee, you can see them moving towards the ball on your downswing. This leads to inconsistant contact (believe me)

It requires alot of practise and flexibility to rectify this. Practise swing at home with your butt just touching a wall, complete a swing all the way to follow through and your butt should still be touching the wall at finish.

Heres a video to hopefully explain what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Like most amateurs including me, your posture is changing on your downswing (your standing up so to speak).

Your pushing your hips towards the ball instead of towards the target.

If you put a line on your butt and right knee, you can see them moving towards the ball on your downswing. This leads to inconsistant contact (believe me)

It requires alot of practise and flexibility to rectify this. Practise swing at home with your butt just touching a wall, complete a swing all the way to follow through and your butt should still be touching the wall at finish.

Heres a video to hopefully explain what I mean.

That's very, very helpful - thank you. I also find Mark Crossfield to be an excellent online tutor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Went to the range to fix the oul swing today. After about a month solid of hitting 1 or 2 fairways a round with the driver I thought it was time to see what the problem was.

Last ball of the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Niall09 wrote: »
    Went to the range to fix the oul swing today. After about a month solid of hitting 1 or 2 fairways a round with the driver I thought it was time to see what the problem was.

Last ball of the evening

Looks great to me, what is your swing speed ?

I have no idea. Haven't had a lesson in nearly 3 years.

Is there a way of figuring it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Here sure what the hell, I enjoyed looking at others so here's me hitting a six iron

Any feedback welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoxjbuDmwJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Niall,

that swing

*drools*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

golfnut1 wrote: »
    Here sure what the hell, I enjoyed looking at others so here's me hitting a six iron

Any feedback welcome.

Do you fall over a lot when you play?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Ha.

Yeah when I saw the clip I was surprised how close together my feet were. Feet a bit further apart now.
    It's great to see your swing every now again even though I cringe when I see it its great for picking up things you never normally get to see.

golfnut1 wrote: »

Any feedback welcome.

Turn the camera 90 degree and retake. ive a pain in my neck from looking at it:D

Last ball of the evening

Agree, swing looks pretty good to me too. What are you bad shots/misses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Last ball of the evening

Your shoulders are very open on address compared to your feet, knees and hips.
    Other than that it's a nice swing.

Agree, swing looks pretty good to me too. What are you bad shots/misses?

My bad shots with the driver are big push slices which go wayyyyyyyy right. I know what's causing it though, there's a bit of an overswing there and it's also very flat at the top causing me to come down from the inside. So when my hands don't rotate through the ball, it just goes miles right.

• Advertisement

My bad shots with the driver are big push slices which go wayyyyyyyy right. I know what's causing it though, there's a bit of an overswing there and it's also very flat at the top causing me to come down from the inside. So when my hands don't rotate through the ball, it just goes miles right.

Cant really see the overswing from that video but it does look like the club crosses the line at abt 2 sec in the vid if you look closely enough.

The rest you seem to already know whats going on so it just sounds like timing.

I wouldnt consider it flat either at the top for a driver. Not much difference between you and McIlroy in this position.

clipimage002pb.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last ball of the evening

Ahh...a young man's swing! (And a nice one at that).

I notice that your head drops a bit towards the top of your back swing (if you notice, your head is above the level of the ditch at the end of the range at the start but falls (briefly) to the same level towards the top of your backswing).

Probably nothing and I wouldn't be in a position to say what this would cause or anything, perhaps some of the better golfers here would comment.

If you're throwing out this swing though, please PM ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Loire wrote: »
    Ahh...a young man's swing! (And a nice one at that).

I notice that your head drops a bit towards the top of your back swing (if you notice, your head is above the level of the ditch at the end of the range at the start but falls (briefly) to the same level towards the top of your backswing).

Probably nothing and I wouldn't be in a position to say what this would cause or anything, perhaps some of the better golfers here would comment.

If you're throwing out this swing though, please PM ;):D

Actually - here is an observation, take it as such please as there is nothing worse for a swing as badly informed advice. You have a very early wrist break, caused by picking the club up with your wrists. It leads to a flat takeaway, and consequently a flat return to square and difficulty squaring the club, and wild slices as an occasional consequence unless your timing is spot on. To fix, your wrists should hinge naturally at the top of your backswing, not too early - there is a tee drill you can do to promote a slightly longer, straighter takeaway, but I find people react best to simply focusing on keeping your wrists still through at least the first two feet of your takeaway - they should naturally break at the top. Hope this helps.

*edit - aimed at Niall09 obviously, not Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

[QUOTE=coddlesangers;78834085]*edit - aimed at Niall09 obviously, not Loire.[/QUOTE]

LOL! If I had a swing like that I'd be posting it with a title like "Na na nana na"!!!! AND I'd hit a 5 iron off every tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lessons commenced last week.
    I've booked 4 between now and next Feb.
    Going to try to put as much "good practice" in as possible between now and then.

Playing of 19 (society) at present, have only started to really play to 19 over the last 3-months with rounds averaging somewhere in the 30-34 region.

Big hopes for next year...don't we all.

He's a video of my current swing.
    The first things I'm working on for the next month are (not working on any of the following below, it's my swing pre lesson)
    1. Too much weight on left leg throughout
    2. Left leg too far forward in alignment
    3. Trying to straighten up and get the left shoulder coming under my chin.

Appreciate any feedback, I'm going to try to stick to working solely on what the pro says but appreciate any other feedback that will mess with my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Going to try to put as much "good practice" in as possible between now and then.

Playing of 19 (society) at present, have only started to really play to 19 over the last 3-months with rounds averaging somewhere in the 30-34 region.

The first things I'm working on for the next month are (not working on any of the following below, it's my swing pre lesson)

Appreciate any feedback, I'm going to try to stick to working solely on what the pro says but appreciate any other feedback that will mess with my head :)

Looks good to me.
    I would agree that you have a closed stance...are your bad shots hooks or big pushes right?

Personally I wouldnt worry about weight on the left leg, I dont shift my weight back from my front foot in my swing (based on feedback from my prod) and it doesnt cause any problems and actually helps striking down on the irons (for me).
    /edit
    Actually in slo-mo your left foot comes off the ground, so I doubt you are keeping much weight on it to be honest!
    Do you keep your stats when you play? Your full swing is easily good enough for 12, might have to start wearing a sombrero! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

;)

Nice swing aj

Looks like a bandit off 19 to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GreeBo wrote: »
    Looks good to me.
    I would agree that you have a closed stance...are your bad shots hooks or big pushes right?

Personally I wouldnt worry about weight on the left leg, I dont shift my weight back from my front foot in my swing (based on feedback from my prod) and it doesnt cause any problems and actually helps striking down on the irons (for me).
    /edit
    Actually in slo-mo your left foot comes off the ground, so I doubt you are keeping much weight on it to be honest!
    Do you keep your stats when you play? Your full swing is easily good enough for 12, might have to start wearing a sombrero! :P

Most bad shots are slices Greebo and they generally come with my Driver (3 wood to lesser extent).
    I'm also prone to the odd S***k with my irons, Pro said it was due to too much weight on left, left foot causing closed stance which forces my body trying to to try to get out of the way...if that makes sense.

I started out with an out to in swing but I seem to have gotten it more on plane over the summer with irons but haven't brought the change to the longer clubs swing.

I think I see what you do with my left leg, it does appear to come up a bit, but even though it does that just means that I am applying more pressure on the smaller area of my left foot.
    I've been conscience of it since the lesson, and I'd say the weight balance on my left floats between 60-70% throughout the swing.
    My left knee and leg are very loaded/(coiled?) throughout swing.

Not too concerned with getting the chin up as I do it more often than not, that video was ball no.97 of 100 (too much I know) so it was a fairly tired one.

Realistically I was playing to 24 at start of year (was fooling myself thinking I was 18), I'm steady at 19 now, think I could push on from. I haven't paid any attention to sort game really, it's all been about getting comfortable with a good swing.

Short game work and a little improvement with swing could get me to 12, but I haven't seen a trough in a while so I could be due one!

Happy enough with it to be honest (sure I wouldn't post if not :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

At address your shoulders are parallel or slightly open to target, your hips are slightly closed and your feet are more closed, the feet don't matter overall as much as the hips and shoulders, make sure the hips and shoulders are in sync at address, I'd recomend parallel or slightly open.
    Also I disagree with a previous poster who says your swing at present is good enough for a 12 handicapper, I'd say more like a 7 or 8, finally one more thing to remember is to let the swing happen naturally, you seem to have a tendency to force the swing through impact, just trust it and let it happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement