Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a video of your swing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

another note ricky, your head seems very high up at address, because your head is facing forward and your looking down with your eyes I think this may restrict your backswing possibly causing that lunge on takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

played today and made a very conscious effort to make sure i wasnt dipping my head on take away. I launched it!

if we ever meet up, I must throw you a few euros for the tip ;)

ha..happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

again, not looking for any tips or thoughts. I won't listen :D

Just posting a couple of videos I took recently and to revive this thread :)

1st one is Hole 14 in Athlone - 5 Wood.

2nd one is Hole 15 in Athlone - 5 Wood.

Massive mistake suprised no one else noticed it, your not using driver ??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

levitronix wrote: »
    Massive mistake suprised no one else noticed it, your not using driver ??????

I'm so long, I don't need to ;)

There's about 6 or 7 holes in Athlone where I don't use driver off the tee. It's far better to have good position then be long and in the drink/trees ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm so long, I don't need to ;)

There's about 6 or 7 holes in Athlone where I don't use driver off the tee. It's far better to have good position then be long and in the drink/trees ;)

Jaysus Ricky, if you were an ice cream you'd lick yourself

another note ricky, your head seems very high up at address, because your head is facing forward and your looking down with your eyes I think this may restrict your backswing possibly causing that lunge on takeaway

sorry, tried this and it led to all sorts of problems.

no euros for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You look like you are looking at something across the field just before your take off Ricky???

ForeRight wrote: »
    You look like you are looking at something across the field just before your take off Ricky???

I think he was just aware aware that the camera was on him and he wanted to disguise the double chin ?

I think he was just aware aware that the camera was on him and he wanted to disguise the double chin ?

Hahaha

RickyLakelovesuall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Got bored a few weeks ago hitting balls at the range standing up so i decided to peg a few like this... http://youtu.be/bEyXGXIJoKU

jamok wrote: »
    Got bored a few weeks ago hitting balls at the range standing up so i decided to peg a few like this... http://youtu.be/bEyXGXIJoKU

Clearly this is what you should be doing all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Furyk eat your heart out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Furyk eat your heart out

..with a Dustin Johnson-esque finish I might add! Looks like a very effective, repeatable swing.

Captured a few swings on my phone at my last visit to the range... this is a 3 Wood off the deck. It looks a bit standy-uppy at impact, having a chicken-wing issue with my left arm after impact... tendency to block right too. Kinda look like I'm a bit far away from the ball too...

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    ..with a Dustin Johnson-esque finish I might add! Looks like a very effective, repeatable swing.

Captured a few swings on my phone at my last visit to the range... this is a 3 Wood off the deck. It looks a bit standy-uppy at impact, having a chicken-wing issue with my left arm after impact... tendency to block right too. Kinda look like I'm a bit far away from the ball too...

Nice swing.
    Hope you don't mind me making one comment on it.

You're left wrist at the top of the backswing is bowed quite alot,
    maybe try flatening it out a little ?

and maybe one other thing,
    notice on your backswing how much your body moves upwards.

It's always easy spotting blemishes on someone elses swing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

and maybe one other thing,
    notice on your backswing how much your body moves upwards.

It's always easy spotting blemishes on someone elses swing :D

Cheers for the feedback - yes - those are two things that struck me when I looked back at it, standing up a bit and the club/wrist at the top. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into what is causing me to do that. Never been one for breaking my wrists at the top of my swing. Last couple of lessons the Pro highlighted that I should be, more work to do!

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback - yes - those are two things that struck me when I looked back at it, standing up a bit and the club/wrist at the top. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into what is causing me to do that. Never been one for breaking my wrists at the top of my swing. Last couple of lessons the Pro highlighted that I should be, more work to do!
    maybe worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Me on the 7th tee at Swords Open. I measured it at 293 yards. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Fine swing there Mag !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hi folks, just getting back into golf after about 16 years and I'm looking for a bit of feedback. Hitting my irons fine but the driver is slicing on me nearly every time. Anyone see anything glaringly bad here? Sorry about the **** quality I had to record the screen as the original on my phone was sideways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

zuutroy wrote: »
    Hi folks, just getting back into golf after about 16 years and I'm looking for a bit of feedback. Hitting my irons fine but the driver is slicing on me nearly every time. Anyone see anything glaringly bad here? Sorry about the **** quality I had to record the screen as the original on my phone was sideways!

Christ where to start ;) , try tucking your right elbow in at impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

david-k wrote: »
    Christ where to start ;) , try tucking your right elbow in at impact.

Why don't you post a vid of your swing? Show us all how its done.....

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Why don't you post a vid of your swing? Show us all how its done.....

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

david-k wrote: »
    ?

Think Benny missed your joke there David, sure that can happen us all ;)

Zuu, you are so open at contact it's unreal.
    I'm a High HC but I might be qualified to give a bit of advice because I struggled big time with a slice for my first few years. Only cured it this year and it took a lot of pain.

You're way too open at address, I used to be too. The feeling that helped me get out of this was to pick a point about 2 feet behind the ball and try to keep your chest pointed towards this at impact. Open them shoulders after you hit the ball, not before.

Best of luck with it by the way

Milliseconds after impact, try keeping the shoulders a lot more closed than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Good , if you are just getting back after 16 years, definitiley stuff to work with.

You have a one plane swing, your posture is decent, (aiming maybe not, seems open?) you have the club on plane at the top of the backswing,, and you hold spine tilt after impact

Balance is bad after impact, left foot shouldn't be moving towards target.

The downswing is actually getting steeper though, it should get flatter (under the plane), this eliminate over the top swing, and the resulting slice

So try tuck your elbow right on your rib cage, and start the downsing with the hips, feeling the right elbow attached to the ribcage move with the hips, all the weight should be on your left foot

This drops the club down flatter ( 'In the slot' as they call it) then fire with whatever is your preference (shoudlers and the arms, or body as one passive hands etc)

I'd recommend reading Jim Hardy for your swing, could help get it sorted in your head (I'm not saying it's gospel). Look at some ben Hogan videos too on youtube for the transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Your posture is pretty poor. This can lead to the "over the top" motion in your swing. Just work on that for a start. There's loads of vids on YouTube to sort it.

What the f do I know anyway.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Think Benny missed your joke there David, sure that can happen us all ;)

Zuu, you are so open at contact it's unreal.
    I'm a High HC but I might be qualified to give a bit of advice because I struggled big time with a slice for my first few years. Only cured it this year and it took a lot of pain.

You're way too open at address, I used to be too. The feeling that helped me get out of this was to pick a point about 2 feet behind the ball and try to keep your chest pointed towards this at impact. Open them shoulders after you hit the ball, not before.

Best of luck with it by the way
    Cheers AJ.
    It might be the camera angle but to me it all looks pretty square (which is good), and there's a lot of other good stuff going on in his swing, although the club is fairly flat on the backswing and leads to an over the top move which is a cause of the slice.
    I understand the advice you give worked for you but in effect it's swapping one set of problems for another.
    The best thing to do is go for a lesson, and let a pro explain in a clearer and better manner than anyone here could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Your posture is pretty poor. Just work on that for a start. There's loads of vids on YouTube to sort it.

It's hardly poor, his spine doesn't have to be straight exactly, and his weight looks to be just around or forward of his ankles, which is where it should be.

• Advertisement

It's hardly poor, his spine doesn't have to be straight exactly, and his weight looks to be just around or forward of his ankles, which is where it should be.

C-shaped posture. His stance is also way to narrow for a driver

Bet you're sorry you asked now zuutroy :)

Go and get a lesson and don't be wasting your time asking us.

Cheers for all the replies. Have been getting lessons and have improved everything but the driver. Noticed myself that posture is a bit hunched. The joys of being 6'5"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Milliseconds after impact, try keeping the shoulders a lot more closed than this

Shoulders look fine to me, I wouldnt say they are open, they have just turned, which they should do. This wouldnt cause a slice itself, the clubface would have to be open, so something else is the problem.
    inil05_johnnymiller.jpg

Cant really see your grip OP, maybe a front on shot would help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nice swing ,

Dont like left foot bouncing around. Looks like left foot is too closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Mrs roadrunner decided to come to the driving range with me recently and I got her to video me while she was there. V interesting to finally see my swing. Can anyone spot a reason why a high percentage of my drives are sent badly right, with an occasional snaphook thrown in every so often? It's killing my game.

http://youtu.be/BuPXGFQY5EI
    http://youtu.be/AD6OnJnRmyY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Mrs roadrunner decided to come to the driving range with me recently and I got her to video me while she was there. V interesting to finally see my swing. Can anyone spot a reason why a high percentage of my drives are sent badly right, with an occasional snaphook thrown in every so often? It's killing my game.

Could be loads of things and hard to see from video but one thing jumping out at me is that your shoulder plan is very flat.

Try turning your shoulders so that if you put a club across it they would be be pointing at or inside the ball to exaggerate it.

Flat shoulder plane or turn describes the angle of the shoulders as the golfer turns to the top of the backswing. When the golfer addresses the ball the spine is tilted due to the forward bend of the hips to allow you to get into the correct setup position. The ideal swing requires the shoulders to move perpendicular to the tilt of the spine on the backswing. A flat shoulder plane is when the shoulders turn on a more horizontal plane than the axis of the original spine angle. This causes the club to be out of position on the backswing and changes the original spine angles on the downswing reducing efficiency of the motion. As a result the golfer usually compensates by on the downswing with the body or hands to square the club face. This can also cause a loss of power in the swing as well as inconsistent ball striking.

Moved it here as this one has been around for a while.

• Advertisement

http://youtu.be/AD6OnJnRmyY[/QUOTE]

My two cents.

Your shoulders seem quite open, and your grip seems to strong.
    I would work on your alignment/setup, and try to weaken your grip.

Like I said, my 2 cents, a pro would obviously go through it with you in slow motion and give you some drills to work on.

Thanks for the input. re: both point about my shoulders. Does this just mean that at address my shoulders should be pointing at a straight line to the target but mine are pointing left of the target. Also I'll try loosen my grip a touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

The very first visible movement in the back swing, is the right elbow kicking out.

A great tip is to imagine yourself with a big pair of <mod edit>; squeeze them up with your arms by keeping your elbows in:)
    Along with a looser grip, this will give you that loose club feeling.

On the downswing, try to get the hips a bit in front of the ball, before you release.

whizbang wrote: »
    imagine yourself with a big pair of <mod edit>; squeeze them up with your arms

Interesting tip. Hopefully mrs roadrunner can help me with that again :pac:

Your club is coming back very flat. Try to imagine rotating your left shoulder down towards your right toe a little more, rather than just straight around. I think the club should be more above your right shoulder than behind it. This should also help with your left heel coming up off the ground.
    Obv take this with the necessary pound of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

The very first visible movement in the back swing, is the right elbow kicking out.

A great tip is to imagine yourself with a big pair of <mod edit>; squeeze them up with your arms by keeping your elbows in:)

On the downswing, try to get the hips a bit in front of the ball, before you release.

Not quite as interesting a tip for this is to put your driver head cover between your right arm and body and keep it there for the whole swing. Will keep the elbow close to the body.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Not quite as interesting a tip for this is to put your driver head cover between your right arm and body and keep it there for the whole swing. Will keep the elbow close to the body.

thanks will try that too, obviously after the boobies thing though

Lets try to remember that we are not in the pub with our mates thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newuser12345

Started back this summer, and trying to build a consistent swing

Link below

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIoRCmEbYg&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Recommend an App called "Ubersense" for checking out your swing in super slow-mo. I imagined I had a good swing until I look at it's results :o

PARlance wrote: »
    Lessons commenced last week.
    I've booked 4 between now and next Feb.
    Going to try to put as much "good practice" in as possible between now and then.

Playing of 19 (society) at present, have only started to really play to 19 over the last 3-months with rounds averaging somewhere in the 30-34 region.

Big hopes for next year...don't we all.

He's a video of my current swing.
    The first things I'm working on for the next month are (not working on any of the following below, it's my swing pre lesson)
    1. Too much weight on left leg throughout
    2. Left leg too far forward in alignment
    3. Trying to straighten up and get the left shoulder coming under my chin.

Appreciate any feedback, I'm going to try to stick to working solely on what the pro says but appreciate any other feedback that will mess with my head :)

One year on, feel a lot happier and more comfortable with my swing.
    First year of club golf and it's was a struggle getting used to going from yellows to blues.
    Hitting a bit of form and consistency over the last month or so.
    Still time for another cut ;) Off 17 now.
    Short game is the main focus of the winter lessons this year.
    Have 3 lessons booked again over the next few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement