Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a video of your swing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

^^ man I wish i swung it like you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »
    ^^ man I wish i swung it like you!

^^ man I wish I had your Handicap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well done PARlance - good swing as a beginner and as a golfer.

I'm not a man to talk about the swing (my own is ****) - but, can see contrast in the videos. I was never a fan , or have observed, that guys from a sporting background take to golf easier. But you are a great advert - you can see in first video that your core has given you a freedom to over swing and cause an imbalance - you have pointed out the flaws of your swing in first video - the signs of an experienced range man are obvious in 2nd clip - club on ground - too many waggles ;) next the long putter.

Holding your finish is a thing many pros do - McIlroy - Stension to name two in the news.

You've done very well to shorten your swing so much.

So keep it up - you will be giving lessons on long game soon.

The only thing is, there is no point in trying to reach every par 3 in 1.

Well done PARlance - good swing as a beginner and as a golfer.

I'm not a man to talk about the swing (my own is ****) - but, can see contrast in the videos. I was never a fan , or have observed, that guys from a sporting background take to golf easier. But you are a great advert - you can see in first video that your core has given you a freedom to over swing and cause an imbalance - you have pointed out the flaws of your swing in first video - the signs of an experienced range man are obvious in 2nd clip - club on ground - too many waggles ;) next the long putter.

Holding your finish is a thing many pros do - McIlroy - Stension to name two in the news.

You've done very well to shorten your swing so much.

So keep it up - you will be giving lessons on long game soon.

The only thing is, there is no point in trying to reach every par 3 in 1.

I was christened "Pre-season" for a while in football, banging in hat tricks to beat the band then couldn't score in a b..... when the season started.
    Think there's some link to my range work in golf. I tend to get in a "groove" at the range, finding that on the course isn't as easy for me.
    Ya, it's nice to look back on the changes, I've been trying to shorten the swing and it has tidied itself up a bit.

The waggle is ridiculous, I had no idea it looked like that, ah well, I'm also working on the pot belly ala Duffner. :)

Don't know about laying up on a Par 3, a bit too much like going to a b...... and paying for a chat :)
    Only messing, course management and short game are the focus for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Went to the range tonight and my mate has the new iPhone 5s which has a slow mo video capture mode. Very handy for looking at your swing on the spot.
    Here was the driver and a 7 iron I recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

ForeRight wrote: »
    Went to the range tonight and my mate has the new iPhone 5s which has a slow mo video capture mode. Very handy for looking at your swing on the spot.
    Here was the driver and a 7 iron I recorded.

Pretty good swings. 7 iron looks perfect at the top to my eye but you seem to be slightly out to in on way down

I would guess your username is not by chance as you are also out to in on the driver with what looks like a pretty square club face so I would guess your shot starts pretty much on target and then drifts right ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Pretty good swings. 7 iron looks perfect at the top to my eye but you seem to be slightly out to in on way down

I would guess your username is not by chance as you are also out to in on the driver with what looks like a pretty square club face so I would guess your shot starts pretty much on target and then drifts right ?

My irons all go pretty much straight and I can draw them if I want but you're 100% correct n the driver.
    I've been told by people that I have a slight reverse pivot(whatever that is)

It's not bad but I would tend to always aim down the left hand side of the fairways and hit a good fade. If I drop concentration it always turns into a slice.

Realgolfgeek is sending me that slice fixer tool he has so hopefully if I post my swing in a few weeks I have that out to in fixed.

I've never had a lesson and don't know the mechanics of golf swings and I cannot draw the driver to save my life. I can draw the irons no problem by just feel with the club. No amount of practice is giving me that feel with the driver though.

Fair play spotting that because you are spot on.

My irons all go pretty much straight and I can draw them if I want but you're 100% correct n the driver.
    I've been told by people that I have a slight reverse pivot(whatever that is)

It's not bad but I would tend to always aim down the left hand side of the fairways and hit a good fade. If I drop concentration it always turns into a slice.

Realgolfgeek is sending me that slice fixer tool he has so hopefully if I post my swing in a few weeks I have that out to in fixed.

I've never had a lesson and don't know the mechanics of golf swings and I cannot draw the driver to save my life. I can draw the irons no problem by just feel with the club. No amount of practice is giving me that feel with the driver though.

Fair play spotting that because you are spot on.

Out of interest what is your thought process for drawing the irons ?

Out of interest what is your thought process for drawing the irons ?

I kinda just pull back and swing down through the ball thinking the way I would kick a football if curling in a corner if that makes sense to you?

I'm trying to go through the ball with the club head turning over. As I said I'm not great with how things work I'm very much just self taught and play by feel for every shot wether it's driver or chipping.

I have tried the same type of swing with my driver but always make a complete mess of it. Generally a huge push.

Lovely swings ForeRight. I'm the same with the drivers and irons.
    Straight ish with irons but can draw if I need to.
    Driver.... Forget about a draw.

Seeing that drive fly out there in slow mo is class.

• Advertisement

I kinda just pull back and swing down through the ball thinking the way I would kick a football if curling in a corner if that makes sense to you?

I'm trying to go through the ball with the club head turning over. As I said I'm not great with how things work I'm very much just self taught and play by feel for every shot wether it's driver or chipping.

I have tried the same type of swing with my driver but always make a complete mess of it. Generally a huge push.

Yes it makes perfect sense. A push occurs when your face and path match up. So basically your face is open at impact and your path is in to out but there is no (or not enough) differential between them.

So the good news is that your path when trying to draw driver seems somewhat in to out. Now you need to focus on face control. Or the other option is to increase the path to be more in to out. I too struggle with this on driver. Driver is always least forgiving due to loft.

The other option is to start playing intentional fades. So get an out to in path and start to control starting and ending point. You'd be surprised how much control this can give you as opposed to fading when you just do it as natural shot. In this case a slice is just this way overdone but in my (albeit only recent) experience a slice is less likely when playing an intentional fade than when it just happens as part of a natural attempt to play straight

Great advice Alex.

As I said I've pretty good control over the driver and my slices come when I just stop thinking about what I'm doing. Usually when I'm not playing well obviously.

I don't think I'll try a draw the driver at the moment. I can fade that driver all day long with control and I get it on average about 250-270 or so which is grand.

Of course it would be great to be able to work the ball both ways but I just don't have the time to practice for stuff like that. I do be just delighted to get out and play every now and again.

Great swing - all one plane - very compact - not much can go wrong.

Great advice Alex.

As I said I've pretty good control over the driver and my slices come when I just stop thinking about what I'm doing. Usually when I'm not playing well obviously.

I don't think I'll try a draw the driver at the moment. I can fade that driver all day long with control and I get it on average about 250-270 or so which is grand.

Of course it would be great to be able to work the ball both ways but I just don't have the time to practice for stuff like that. I do be just delighted to get out and play every now and again.

Scratch all of the above. If you can play a controllable fade that goes 250-270 then go with it. IMHO you'll never need to learn to draw the ball.

Your swing admirer Mr Parlance is pretty similar in that he hits a long fade. I'd take that any day of the week.

Great swing - all one plane - very compact - not much can go wrong.

Come play a round with me and you will see ALL that can go wrong ha

Come play a round with me and you will see ALL that can go wrong ha

yes because it is all one plane - I'd say when you try get into it a bit - you could go a bit OTT on driver - this cause ForeRight - been there done that.

But excellent - reminds me of a swing on tour - haven't got it yet - was think like Snedker. But -no, havent got it yet.

yes because it is all one plane - I'd say when you try get into it a bit - you could go a bit OTT on driver - this cause ForeRight - been there done that.

But excellent - reminds me of a swing on tour - haven't got it yet - was think like Snedker. But -no, havent got it yet.

I wish fixy.
    But thanks anyway :)

I wish fixy.
    But thanks anyway :)

Fixy...The two of ye are getting ridiculous at this stage ;)

Scratch all of the above. If you can play a controllable fade that goes 250-270 then go with it. IMHO you'll never need to learn to draw the ball.

Your swing admirer Mr Parlance is pretty similar in that he hits a long fade. I'd take that any day of the week.

Cheers Alx, "pretty similar" is your nice way of saying mine isn't controllable is it???
    Only messing, I finally embraced my fade after that day in the Heritage with you.
    Chr**t, that's something like ForePlay and Fixy would say ;)

• Advertisement

It's very cosy in here tonight ;)

PARlance wrote: »
    Cheers Alx, "pretty similar" is your nice way of saying mine isn't controllable is it???
    Only messing, I finally embraced my fade after that day in the Heritage with you.
    Chr**t, that's something like ForePlay and Fixy would say ;)

Don't be so sensitive Parry (:D)....I haven't seen your swing in slo mo on video so I don't want to commit :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I recorded my swing when i was down at the range earlier this week, am ashamed to post it!!

Am gone back to me pre lesson stance, 3/4 backswing and not following through. Ball is going where I want it and reasonable distance but didn't think i had drifted back into my old swing. No mirrors in the range close to me so am going back to the old one where there are mirrors everywhere to keep an eye on myself!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Might as well post some up. First is me in august this year, pre lesson

Then me after last lesson. Taken today. Narrowed stance, ball back further in stance & weight more centered.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Very big difference between the two Space, well done on the changes.

If you want my two cents worth, there are two changes I would make.

Work on alignment, you seem to be quite open or maybe that's just the camera angle.

Address position, I would have the club at a more forward shaft lean. It will help hit down more on the ball, you seem to be slightly scooping the ball.

Very big difference between the two Space, well done on the changes.

If you want my two cents worth, there are two changes I would make.

Work on alignment, you seem to be quite open or maybe that's just the camera angle.

Address position, I would have the club at a more forward shaft lean. It will help hit down more on the ball, you seem to be slightly scooping the ball.

Cheers thanks for that. Was actually aiming at a target on the left so was pointing that way which maybe makes it look more open.

And yes, I will be looking at shaft lean & working on a more downward strike. I do tend to pick the ball up fairly clean with my irons, not too much in tthe way of divots.

Going one step at a time. First step was getting the balance of my set up right. At least 3 more lessons planned for winter months so hopefully will be in the right place by next spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Cheers thanks for that. Was actually aiming at a target on the left so was pointing that way which maybe makes it look more open.

And yes, I will be looking at shaft lean & working on a more downward strike. I do tend to pick the ball up fairly clean with my irons, not too much in tthe way of divots.

Going one step at a time. First step was getting the balance of my set up right. At least 3 more lessons planned for winter months so hopefully will be in the right place by next spring.

absolutely, keep making changes like that and you'll be laughing.

it's nice to see befores and afters to see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

8i

Its been almost two weeks since I was out and found I have this hitch at the end of the swing,its much more pronounced in the driver aswell so the brother said he'd record it. I step back after I hit it aswell which is only recent,losing me distance with the driver.

Anyhow,at least I can look back on it when I'm golfing a year etc to see how far I've come.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

This is my swing at the moment, i was working on my follow thru and staying connected and ended up going well with clearing my hips so i decided to keep going and this is the vid,
    1st shot was pulled a bit but 2nd shot landed around 5-8ft....
    Could have been in one of those moments where every shot seems to work...

Any info appreciated :D

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/Gixxer2010/IMG_0703_zpsb6b3c9e3.mp4

dan_ep82 wrote: »

8i

Its been almost two weeks since I was out and found I have this hitch at the end of the swing,its much more pronounced in the driver aswell so the brother said he'd record it. I step back after I hit it aswell which is only recent,losing me distance with the driver.

Anyhow,at least I can look back on it when I'm golfing a year etc to see how far I've come.

Good stuff Dan, impressive for a guy that has only taken up the game a few months ago.

There are plenty better golfers on here than me, but if I was to give you somethings to look a,t it would be your shoulder turn and your left arm in the back swing.
    You aren't rotating the left shoulder enough and as a result you are cheating your back swing by having to bend your left arm to get the club to the top.

A simple drill for strengthening the left arm is to just practice one arm back-swings out in the back garden, or even gripping a club and holding it up as you sit on the couch, anything to strengthening the left arm and getting it used to/built up when keeping it straight.
    A few days or weeks of that every night and you'll really notice the difference.

For the shoulder turn, your shoulders are very horizontal throughout the swing at present, this might not be the best video out there but it will be useful, you could do with getting some rotation into them.
    Hopefully you'll see what I mean from the vid, I'm prob not explaining it that well.

Just my 2c, hope it's not too far off the mark, but as I said at the start, there are others out there that might differ.

You've a great foundation to build on for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Good stuff Dan, impressive for a guy that has only taken up the game a few months ago.

There are plenty better golfers on here than me, but if I was to give you somethings to look a,t it would be your shoulder turn and your left arm in the back swing.
    You aren't rotating the left shoulder enough and as a result you are cheating your back swing by having to bend your left arm to get the club to the top.

A simple drill for strengthening the left arm is to just practice one arm back-swings out in the back garden, or even gripping a club and holding it up as you sit on the couch, anything to strengthening the left arm and getting it used to/built up when keeping it straight.
    A few days or weeks of that every night and you'll really notice the difference.

For the shoulder turn, your shoulders are very horizontal throughout the swing at present, this might not be the best video out there but it will be useful, you could do with getting some rotation into them.
    Hopefully you'll see what I mean from the vid, I'm prob not explaining it that well.

Just my 2c, hope it's not too far off the mark, but as I said at the start, there are others out there that might differ.

You've a great foundation to build on for a beginner.

Thanks, I didn't feel I was hitting great or really bad,more average so its probably a true representation of my current swing.

I noticed the left arm getting bent on the backswing watching it on the way home, what effect do you think it has on the shot, accuracy,power or both?

Honestly I seem to be dropping a club every month or so, I think I've gained a bout 30yds on all my irons since I started.hopefully I'll hit the wall soon enough.

I had a massive problem with moving with the club instead of rotating,its something I'm still working on but I try to only bring out a few ideas per round,its one I'll get back on top of.

I think the shoulder plane is due to posture? It looks like my back is too straight or not bent from the hips enough?

Another thing I'm looking for is a drill for follow through,
    Mainly it happens with the driver where my swing power seems to stop about 2ft past impact and kind of hit at the ball instead of swinging through.
    Current thing I try to do is keep my right elbow close,in to out (closed face) and aim to have the club follow through to the back swing

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Then me after last lesson. Taken today. Narrowed stance, ball back further in stance & weight more centered.

In the first swing of the post-lesson sequence you start off with a good pre-shot routine with your feet together and then you plant your feet. However you then shuffle back into an open stance and bring your front foot backwards thus effectively putting the ball forward. Work on this and notice if you are shuffling your feet.

stockdam wrote: »
    In the first swing of the post-lesson sequence you start off with a good pre-shot routine with your feet together and then you plant your feet. However you then shuffle back into an open stance and bring your front foot backwards thus effectively putting the ball forward. Work on this and notice if you are shuffling your feet.

Cheers thanks, will keep an eye on that as I'm definitely a shuffler, usually shifting my alignment slightly but see what you mean in terms of it moving the ball position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Cheers thanks, will keep an eye on that as I'm definitely a shuffler, usually shifting my alignment slightly but see what you mean in terms of it moving the ball position

Your new position looks better but try not to shuffle back to what you feel is comfortable. You need to try to groove a set sequence (take your alignment, feet together, small step with your left foot, medium step with your right foot, take your grip, look at the target, waggle and fire).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Dossy wrote: »
    This is my swing at the moment, i was working on my follow thru and staying connected and ended up going well with clearing my hips so i decided to keep going and this is the vid,
    1st shot was pulled a bit but 2nd shot landed around 5-8ft....
    Could have been in one of those moments where every shot seems to work...

Any info appreciated :D

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/Gixxer2010/IMG_0703_zpsb6b3c9e3.mp4

I put it up on Youtube!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dosulli8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

In your practice swing, you had a great on plane swing, with a fab follow through, The real thing was pulled inside after impact, so probably had a bit of a slice.

Hit it with your practice swing ;)

maybe try to delay the contact with the club - give your body time to get setup ahead of the ball before impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

dosulli8 wrote: »

Looks pretty good. Stand a little taller maybe.

dosulli8 wrote: »

Were you trying to draw a 3 wood from the rough.

Unless it is angle - but your feet look like they are aiming right compared to shoulders ?

Just because!

Just because!

Nice, can see a lot of familiar steps I've used over time working on swing after lessons...arms out straight, tilt forward to get the set up position right, keep the chin out so it doesn't block off your turn.

Used to do the tilt forward on the course for a while too until I got comfortable I was in the right position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Just because!

Your left leg "spins" towards the target on impact, I only point it out because it was pointed out to me during a lesson. Symptomatic of coming up out of the swing too early according to my pro...
    Seriously nice rhythm to your swing btw....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is your weight on you heels a bit too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Nice swing Rikand....wana swap? !!!

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Your left leg "spins" towards the target on impact, I only point it out because it was pointed out to me during a lesson. Symptomatic of coming up out of the swing too early according to my pro...
    Seriously nice rhythm to your swing btw....

Thats an interesting thought - but no, I'm more than happy with how I'm striking it. There's no coming out of anything too early at the moment :D
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Is your weight on you heels a bit too much?

I think it's more that it looks like that on video rather than what it actually is. I feel like everything is pretty much spot on right now :)

But thanks for the thought :D
    Loire wrote: »
    Nice swing Rikand....wana swap? !!!

I haven't seen your swing but....no, I don't :D

hopefully this works......

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Watch out Carlow, lovely strike with the driver CharlieIRL

Nice one Charlie! That swing is looking much better than it did at Esker. You've been working on it! :D

Nice one Charlie! That swing is looking much better than it did at Esker. You've been working on it! :D

Yupp nice bit of work done in the last while alright, this crack of it taking me 7 holes to get a drive away was killing me. Hopefully I can bring it to the course now!

Is that glance backwards a trigger now Charlie?

Your playing partners will be paranoid if you keep looking back at them
    ;)

Swing looking great.

• Advertisement

Is that glance backwards a trigger now Charlie?

Your playing partners will be paranoid if you keep looking back at them
    ;)

Swing looking great.

Cheers.
    No, looking at a mirror behing me to check posture. Still bedding in the higher more upright stance so was just double checking it.

I must post a video of my swing a month ago, I was hanging over the ball like a hunchback!!

Advertisement