Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how to fix this?

Options
  • 18-04-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I fitted a bath screen and realised afterwards that the bath is not level. As a result there is a gap between the bottom of the screen and the bath. This causes the screen not to sit right in place. There is nothing to hold it onto the bath so it veers off of its own accord. Is there anything I can do to hold it in place?

24wrns8.jpg

5ocg0i.jpg

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~livEwirE~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi livewire

Just asking but if you hold the screen against the upright wall without screws in it, does it sit in contact with the bath all the way along?

What im asking is if you let the screen down onto the bath would the seal catch it effectively. It may be just a few new holes.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

obviously you have to tear down the offending wall and reinstate it plumb level and square!
    Have you never watched Holmes on homes? ( and he's not gay as my OH intimates to me!):D

Seriously though remove fixing on top side and insert spacers ( washers) to get the seal to friction fit bathtop, seal to wall with silicone and hopefully won't be too noticeable.;)

oops just looked at pic again you seem not to have any contact with bath, see above post and space the screen out to match bath level
    all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djyay

i dont think even mike holmes could fix that.have you considered selling your house (discount) and emigrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Joe and build have both confirmed the ways of solving the problem - Not being cheeky but this is why I charge 80+ euro to fit bathscreens. Its not in 90% of the time plane sailing.

The two options above can be used ie. 1. Unscrew the bathscreen at the top and bottom and put a spacer in the top screw. Try use a plastic or rubber spacer so it does not rush. Common sense know. you would be surprised.

2. Another solution is to drop the screen down and re drill the holes. However this will kink the seal over time so it will end up needing replacement.

a third option is to go to b&q and buy a generic seal that clips over the glass. These are usually longer so compensate for the differences. Howeverthe generic seals are made of a poor quality plastic and usually need replacing once a year.

Lastly. It is always best to leave the screen agains the wall if you can. this is why i usually try the third option. When a bath o shower screen is fitted the silicone seal is suppose to be fitted outside(Yes it is) as this allows the condensation that builds up in the profiles to flow down and back into the bath.

I have a final bit of information which bathroom suppliers DONT tell you and are not legally oblighed to. I always told my customers cause It make sense. If your bath is very flat.ie if the side is not lippled up, a bathscreen does not work very well. This is why a bathroom supplier like me has a shower curtin - cause it works very welkk when incorporated with a shower wall.

If you want any more info just ask. We all seem to have a good grip on the problem.

Thanks

PS: If you use the spacers you will have to pack the top of the shower screen profile with silicone. You will have no choice which ridicules my theory on the condensation - Just use a bathroom silicone and masking tape and you will be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Should be quite easy to fix.

Usually these screens have compensating profiles for out of true walls/baths.

Just redrill holes in the profile ensuring the seal sits on the bath squarely.

Yeah I forgot this one - my apologies. But it does not always work. Believe me the walls on the houses in meakstown are bad.

Lovely house though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Should be quite easy to fix.

Usually these screens have compensating profiles for out of true walls/baths.

Just redrill holes in the profile ensuring the seal sits on the bath squarely.

at last the right solution. .

profiles are the adjustment on bath screens.

Baths are normally not level to give them a bit more fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the recommendations, will give them a try:D

~livEwirE~

Advertisement