Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

black cars

• 18-04-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

whats to best way ploish a 07 astra. i'v wash my mothers about 4 times and it keeps looking dirty. its just not shining well. well not with the sun looking down on it.

its driving me mad

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use a microfibre drying cloth to take the water spots off!
    Don't wash it in bright sunlight also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

And clay the car first too.
    Wash. Don't dry. Clay. Then use the cloth provided to dry the car.
    Then polish/wax.

Example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i had the same problem - using a power hose only leave hose water spots all over the place. one thing that a mate of mine did that i didnt think of atall is to get one of those wider wipers for house cleaning, can pick up one for a tenner and wipe down the entire car with it.
    a leather chamois seemingly is one of the best things on the market for it too, i picked up one for 8e in a garage there last week and man the smell of it ! :)

have you polished it yet ?
    my black car can come out very nice after a polish.
    After a full wash and letting it dry, i rub the wax onto the car, let it dry (and it will come out all white marks) then with a dry cloth buff it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

i used that turtle wax wash and wax in one. black cars are just so hard to keep shinny

samhail wrote: »
    i had the same problem - using a power hose only leave hose water spots all over the place. one thing that a mate of mine did that i didnt think of atall is to get one of those wider wipers for house cleaning, can pick up one for a tenner and wipe down the entire car with it.
    a leather chamois seemingly is one of the best things on the market for it too, i picked up one for 8e in a garage there last week and man the smell of it ! :)

have you polished it yet ?
    my black car can come out very nice after a polish.
    After a full wash and letting it dry, i rub the wax onto the car, let it dry (and it will come out all white marks) then with a dry cloth buff it off.

You talking about cleaning a dog or something, I don't get it sorry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Fully spray down, out of sunlight(not really a difficulty here)
    Carnauba 'Wash & Wax' (2 bucket or rinse sponge prior to ree diping)
    Clay
    Chamois or micro fibre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

what do mean by clay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cena wrote: »
    black cars are just so hard to keep shinny

tell me about it:( I recently bought a black coloured car, and there was me thinking it'll be great for hiding the dirt, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Even when i go for a short spin after i polish the bejayus out of it, its manky again

ah sure you can't win em all i suppose:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wet car completely
    Wash & Rinse
    Wash & Rinse again
    Dry with Chamois or MF towel
    Polish and shine with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish
    Polish and shine with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish again
    Get a tin of Harly Wax
    Apply lightly to complete car and buff off with clean Microfibre cloth
    Re-apply if you wish

That should make you happy as it does me when i do my black car
    then park it in a dusty area or take it for a spin and that will pi$$ you off when you see how dirty it will get :mad:

cena wrote: »
    what do mean by clay

Sorry, see here;

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/ccr/ccr20030401cb.asp

This can be done at each wash or once a month, that's if you want to bother at all..Have fun;)

• Advertisement

or take it for a spin and that will pi$$ you off when you see how dirty it will get :mad:[/QUOTE]

Oh how true!! Nothing worse than a few hours of cleaning, take a spin, come back & see spatters, fresh tar, bonnet/front bumper destroyed after Mass fly murder...& another hour or two putting right:(

alpina wrote: »
    Oh how true!! Nothing worse than a few hours of cleaning, take a spin, come back & see spatters, fresh tar, bonnet/front bumper destroyed after Mass fly murder...& another hour or two putting right:(

Or just park it oustide my house... :eek:

Hasd to be the dustiest road in Ireland and heres me bloody twit bought a Black car :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I find with mine wash it well (two bucket method is best), use a meguirs clay bar kit, meguirs tech wax 2.0 (2 coats work best and comes with it's own applicator cloth - and take it off with a microfibre cloth). I find dressing the tyres makes a world of difference to the look of the car when clean and the best I've used again is a meguirs product - hot shine tyre dressing.

I've used AutoGlym products too which are good but I find the meguirs stuff works best on the colour. Use detailing fluid and a microfibre cloth for a once over then when done.

EPM wrote: »
    I find dressing the tyres makes a world of difference to the look of the car when clean and the best I've used again is a meguirs product - hot shine tyre dressing.

Do you find the tyres go a funny brown color after several applications of that stuff ??
    I tried it on a few cars and they all went the same
    Hence it went in the bin ;)

vectra wrote: »
    Do you find the tyres go a funny brown color after several applications of that stuff ??

That's because tires do get brown, the fact you wash, use a wax product or not, do not change this fact.

mick.fr wrote: »
    That's because tires do get brown, the fact you wash, use a wax product or not, do not change this fact.

Not too sure about that.
    I see cars that have nothing applied to the tyres and they stay black. Albeit a greyish black

Not too sure about that.
    I see cars that have nothing applied to the tyres and they stay black. Albeit a greyish black

Tires contain a product called antiozonant which is part of the tire content.
    This product helps preventing the surface to oxidize, cracking etc.
    More the product makes his way to the surface, more it is exposed to air, sun, then it turns brown.

Now there is some very nice waxes that will give it a "like new look". They will last a few days.
    Meghiars also claim to have products that do fight well against this. I never tried those.

See below for the details. They are cheap enough, might be worth a try.
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26820&page=2

HTH

Not since I started using the meguirs stuff on them. The armour all stuff would always without fail turn the rear tyres brown within a few days. Tyres do go brown but its a different shade of brown to what this stuff was doing

See below for the details. They are cheap enough, might be worth a try.
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26820&page=2

HTH

Interesting reading there
    time to make room for more products to try :rolleyes::D

Thanks

Keep in mind you have to CLAY the car first, just after the wash, to remove the contaminants etc, before you even start polishing it. Otherwise results won't be the same at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....easiest solution is to............sell the car and buy a .......white one !! :D:D

White is a lot easier to keep than black. Easier to keep than most people think, actually. Same for most bright primary colours, actually.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

plus the primer will be white too so those little scratches dont show through!

Keep in mind you have to CLAY the car first, just after the wash, to remove the contaminants etc, before you even start polishing it. Otherwise results won't be the same at all.

I never did actually bother to try claying the car
    Bare in mind I bought it new last year so paintwork is fresh
    I had thought about getting some Lime Prime or Lime Prime light to use before polishing it.
    you reckon worth it?
    Which type would you reccomend if any?
    EPM wrote: »
    plus the primer will be white too so those little scratches dont show through!

+1 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not too sure about that
    Tires contain a product called antiozonant which is part of the tire content.
    This product helps preventing the surface to oxidize, cracking etc.
    More the product makes his way to the surface, more it is exposed to air, sun, then it turns brown
    I used to always 'dress' the tyres and they always went brown. About 10 years ago I stopped doing it and have never had any problem with 'browning' since then.

Nailbrush and soap from then on! :)

Nailbrush and soap

Thats what I was thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Galvo101 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have a black Audi and was having the same problems. I got my car done by a guy in South Dublin, he detailed the inside and out, did a fantastic job, my car looked new again. He was really reasonable, and whats good is that everytime I washed my car after the detail, it came up the same each time. So worth the money, he even took out scratches for me, saved me a respray and the cost. Can't remember his number, but his website is www.premiercarcare.ie It's so worth it, highly recomment him.....

/shill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Black vehicles are the work of the Devil.......The Devil I tell you!!!!:mad:

I have a black motor as does MrsG, but she doesn't have to clean the feckin' things. I have spent many a Sunday cursing the day we bought black motors........
    . but then they do look great when they are sparkly clean so it's worth it :o

keefg wrote: »
    . but then they do look great when they are sparkly clean so it's worth it :o

Until you take them to the road again on Monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

*sigh*....I feel your pain brother.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't even have to do that. One shower of rain after washing it and the dried in rain beads show up on the paintwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

On the black finish, you simply have to dry the car after washing to avoid water marks. I use those blue micro fibre cloths you get in the Autoglym Aqua Wax packs, you can also buy those cloths (non-branded) separately too. They do a good job. If I have time I normally finish off with a quick spin around the car with the Aqua Wax for that constant "just polished" look.
    I use Dodo Lime Prime & Dodo Hard Candy every two months & it shines nicely.

As for the tyres I use that Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel & I normally only apply it every second week. It keeps the tyres looking black for nearly a fortnight.

I'm no detailing expert but I am happy with how things turn out using these products. I know there is mixed thoughts on carnauba wax products versus synthetic waxes, but I like the finish of the carnauba waxes even if the synthetic lasts longer. I previously used Autoglym Super Resin wax & Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection & they were good but prefer my new route.

Note: Links are only included for reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The water from the tap will spot paint more than rainfall, if it isn't dried off fairly quickly after washing. What I think is even worse is that Sahara type sand you get in the air from time to time in a really warm but windy spell. Reddish brown film of dust everywhere.

A clean car is only a clean car, not a polished and protected one. If you just wash on its own, a car will get just as dirty again in no time, with the state of our roads and weather conditions. And some will feel it is a waste of time. But if you polish and seal as well every so often, aside from looking better and protecting the paint, it will be much easier to wash the next few times around. The look after washing will also be better than had you not polished before at all.

If people want less water spots on their cars, especially in hard water areas, better to wash in the shade or on a cool dry day only. The final rinse should be with an open hose not a jet wash or spray. It leaves far less rinse water on the vehicle. Then dry down the remainder afterwards with a plush microfibre towel. Also better to use products which tend to sheet water that bit better like water based sealants rather than petro based or natural waxes, which bead it alot. Waxes promote water spotting by increasing surface tension and so the volume of beading. If water beads are allowed to sit on a vehicle for long spells, the minerals in hard water or acid rain in rainfall can get baked onto or etched into the paint when the sun comes out. More and more spotting spoiling the appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭roadrunner 1

lads you guys are serious about the conditioning of yer car. i personally just was a panel then rinse then go onto the next until the whole car is washed i do it this way as i found, to my peril, if the soap drys there is nothing but streaks this way works for me. The only thing i cant understand. concidering the car is always parked securally, is the amount of scratches i keep gaining!!! very distressing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....easiest solution is to............sell the car and buy a .......white one !! :D:D

White is a lot easier to keep than black. Easier to keep than most people think, actually. Same for most bright primary colours, actually.

I'm with you there, galwaytt. Washed the white A6 this morning, and boy does she look stunning.

Advertisement