Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hi I am looking for a Gas Grill and after reading the majority of this thread I think I am about to order a Broil King GEM 340, form what I can see is that the difference in it and the 320 is the side burner which I am not pushed about, but looking at it after shipping its only 20 quid more so I think I can stretch to that.

I currently have a very poor quality Texas Franklin Charcoal BBQ from Homebase which I could recommend to no-one as it is a shocking build which falls apart if you move it around a few times and very little air control as it seems to be full of gaps. My only consolation is I got it for €130 as a display model and it has served well for a few major house parties in the last two years. It looks the part but that's where it ends. I plan on keeping it as I do love the charcoal but I want the gas option for quick cooks and to be honest I was very ill informed about gas as well as what can be done with a proper grill.

Anyway am I safe to go with the Broil King GEM 320 / 340 or should I be looking at other options, my budget is €450 so I am at 520 already and not going higher. Any opinions would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

bennyc wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for a GAS Grill and after reading the majority of this thread I think I am about to order a Broil King GEM 340, form what I can see is that the difference in it and the 320 is the side burner which I am not pushed about, but looking at it after shipping its only 20 quid more so I think I can stretch to that.

I currently have a very poor quality Texas Franklin Charcoal BBQ from Homebase which I could recommend to no-one as it is a shocking build which falls apart if you move it around a few times and very little air control as it seems to be full of gaps. My only consolation is I got it for €130 as a display model and it has served well for a few major house parties in the last two years. It looks the part but that's where it ends. I plan on keeping it as I do love the charcoal but I want the gas option for quick cooks and to be honest I was very ill informed about gas as well as what can be done with a proper grill.

Anyway am I safe to go with the Broil King GEM 320 / 340 or should I be looking at other options, my budget is €450 so I am at 520 already and not going higher. Any opinions would be great.

That looks like a good deal, Benny. Where are you ordering it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

OldBean wrote: »
    In case anyone is looking at ordering, I put in my order for charcoal from The Orchard on Monday, got my text from DPD this morning to say it would be here in the next hour. Can't fault that.

Admittedly i am kinda on his route home, but I ordered from A Room Outside Sunday and it was delivered by Liam on Monday. Certainly cant fault that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

glic83 wrote: »
    Let us know what you go for, the inkbird often comes up with a 10% discount code so depending how fast you need it could be worth waiting out another bit?

where abouts do the Inkbird discount codes pop up?
    mjp wrote: »
    Picked it up this morning along with wooden lighters. Queues there were crazy as had patio furniture and gas bbqs for sale. Staff there saying people queing since 6:30 and gardai were there at one stage.

:eek: The Great BBQ riots of 2020.

People are going mad for outdoor stuff at the moment. Id fear to think what the queues for Woodies and B&Q will be like when they re-open, theres a lot of pent up demand out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ordered bbq from the orchard on saturday, am i being overly optimistic that ill have it for the weekend :D

And I’m not... driver on route.. now to decide the first thing to cook on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

And I’m not... driver on route.. now to decide the first thing to cook on it :D

Season it first before a cook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Muahahaha wrote: »
    where abouts do the Inkbird discount codes pop up?

:eek: The Great BBQ riots of 2020.

People are going mad for outdoor stuff at the moment. Id fear to think what the queues for Woodies and B&Q will be like when they re-open, theres a lot of pent up demand out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Wireless-Thermometer-Magnetic/dp/B076QBJVWX/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=inkbird&qid=1588163318&sr=8-10&th=1

MCME6HMP -10% off , only problem is delivery looks like it could be mid May at earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

neris wrote: »
    Season it first before a cook

How do you season it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snowflakes11

Ziegler and brown v Weber ??

Wanted a small portable gas burner and went for the Ziegler over the weber qq2200 as it’s tried and tested for me.
    Anyone had the experience of using both of these for comparison ??

Probably should of asked this question before purchasing the Ziegler!

heroics wrote: »
    How do you season it?

Cooking oil and rub it over the inside of the cook chamber, lid & grates then just light a fire and let it burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

dingbat wrote: »
    TP 08 or TP 20 both fine.

Get a straightforward dual probe setup (one for your meat, one for the actual grate temp) and definitely invest in a decent instant-read thermometer.

Just getting set up myself with a charcoal one and looking at all advice on here. Can I ask why you'd need a probe and an instant read thermometer? Is the probe not to gauge that temp that the thermometer would? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Sidford wrote: »
    Just getting set up myself with a charcoal one and looking at all advice on here. Can I ask why you'd need a probe and an instant read thermometer? Is the probe not to gauge that temp that the thermometer would? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

You leave the probe in the meat for the whole cook. Means you don’t need to open the lid and check the temp every few minutes.

budgemook wrote: »
    You leave the probe in the meat for the whole cook. Means you don’t need to open the lid and check the temp every few minutes.

Thanks mate.

Glad I already apologised for it being a stupid question!

Thanks mate.

Glad I already apologised for it being a stupid question!

No harm having both anyway, if even just for a second opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Rega wrote: »
    That looks like a good deal, Benny. Where are you ordering it from?
    Hopefully from aroomoutside , free shipping on orders over €250, mind you if its DPD thats shipping I might not bother as I am already waiting weeks on a delivery to arrive thats been with them.

Right so I've ordered the master premium, 3 bags of Weber briquettes, a 2 probe thermometer, an instant read thermometer, a charcoal chimney starter and few utensils from Lidl - bloody expensive gig getting started isn't it?!? Good thing the wife is all on board with it

Thanks again for answering all the newbies questions lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

OldBean wrote: »
    In case anyone is looking at ordering, I put in my order for charcoal from The Orchard on Monday, got my text from DPD this morning to say it would be here in the next hour. Can't fault that.

That's very impressive under current circumstances alright, fair play to them!
    Best of luck with it and enjoy! :)
    Actually I got my Weber grill from the very same crowd a couple years back.

Right so I've ordered the master premium, 3 bags of Weber briquettes, a 2 probe thermometer, an instant read thermometer, a charcoal chimney starter and few utensils from Lidl - bloody expensive gig getting started isn't it?!? Good thing the wife is all on board with it

Thanks again for answering all the newbies questions lads!

Now all you need is a 5kb lump of brisket and a case of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Hopefully from aroomoutside , free shipping on orders over €250, mind you if its DPD thats shipping I might not bother as I am already waiting weeks on a delivery to arrive thats been with them.

I got my BBQ from them this week and they delivered it themselves. It was a roomoutside van anyway.

I spoke to them on the phone the day before though and I was led to believe it would be a courier so hard to know.

• Advertisement

And the patience of a saint

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i got a weber genesis ii (pre built) in around 5 days from theoutdoorscene.

cant wait for the weekend!

Ha ha very true but might have to wait until next payday 😂

Ha ha very true but might have to wait until next payday ��

If your only starting out leave brisket for a while and try something like pork shoulder/ribs or even beef ribs as they are longish cooks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My delivery was made by an independent courier - 2 days after I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Cyrus wrote: »
    i got a weber genesis ii (pre built) in around 5 days from theoutdoorscene.

cant wait for the weekend!
    you missed out on the work of putting it together!:D assembled mine yesterday, theirs even an app with cad instructions to build it. pretty impressive so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you missed out on the work of putting it together!:D assembled mine yesterday, theirs even an app with cad instructions to build it. pretty impressive so it is.

ordinarily id be in my element at that but with two small kids around its not worth the hassle at the moment :P

neris wrote: »
    If your only starting out leave brisket for a while and try something like pork shoulder/ribs or even beef ribs as they are longish cooks

Ah yea man I wouldn't be doing any slow cooks for a while, it will be the Irish BBQ staples for first while until I get used to it and the whole different set up than my cheap gas one.
    Once I get the staples down and get more comfortable with temperature control for a longer cook then I'll be feeding the family on nothing but brisket, lamb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Would you get away with leaving a good Webber like the Performer Deluxe outside year round without a cover?

• Advertisement

Would you get away with leaving a good Webber like the Performer Deluxe outside year round without a cover?

Over time no. It will start to rust in parts and other webers like the kettles with 3 legs will have the welds on the leg holders rust away

Advertisement