Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just took delivery of some charcoal from woodfuel.ie

3 x 12Kg bags of restaurant grade charcoal

Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Ordered my charcoal with aroomoutside on Tuesday and it arrived today. Happy days.

Attempted my first brisket earlier this week, wasn't great. Fell victim to being guided by internal temp only rather than going by probing for tenderness. It was tasty but not what I was hoping for.... However the leftovers have made a fantastic smokey flavoured chili. Every cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Sorry double post

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Hello again, so after reading everything here I like a couple of other newbies on here opted for the mastertouch premium with the sear plate.
    I've ordered the chimney as well and I belive it comes with 2 char baskets.
    The one thing I'm still admittedly a bit confused on is the choice of fuel, any recommendations of where to start, I read the history of charcoal that someone posted but am none the wiser.
    Do I need to just buy and experiment? Do I avoid aldi lidl charcoals?
    Not even sure how much I would need to order
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Just took delivery of some charcoal from woodfuel.ie

3 x 12Kg bags of restaurant grade charcoal

Highly recommend

How much did that set you back? Doesn't qoute price on website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Hello again, so after reading everything here I like a couple of other newbies on here opted for the mastertouch premium with the sear plate.
    I've ordered the chimney as well and I belive it comes with 2 char baskets.
    The one thing I'm still admittedly a bit confused on is the choice of fuel, any recommendations of where to start, I read the history of charcoal that someone posted but am none the wiser.
    Do I need to just buy and experiment? Do I avoid aldi lidl charcoals?
    Not even sure how much I would need to order
    Thanks

Im one of the charcoal newbies too but from reading here and other places best to start off with charcoal and briquettes seem the easiest to start with. I've ordered 3 X 8kg of Weber briquettes from the orchard.
    In relation to likes of Aldi ones from what I've read if you are doing the BBQ staples and don't need a long burn then they are ok but can be harder to regulate temperature with them. Like a lot of things it's you get what you pay for.
    There's a lot of advice re chimney stack online and how full you need it depending on what you're cooking and for how many people. Be worth having a read of that.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

BBQ arrived from the Orchard Thursday, Chimney starter pack arrived just now, cover still hasn't arrived DPD seem to be overwhelmed at the min as it was a sub contractor who delivered the starter pack. Managed to get charcoal from aroomoutside yesterday a bag of Weber 8kg briquettes and a bag of 10kg Weber lumpwood, got an instant thermometer too, so have everything now to get me started on Monday all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Hi all, would anyone know any stores where to buy wood for smoking in west part of Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Friday night steak & spuds. Reverse seared and slightly over done

20200501-214923.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Got mine Wednesday. Did burgers sausages and fish Thursday. Pizza last night and trying slow cooked pork today.

Wife is wondering if we are going to cook inside again!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Not even watching that but guilty as charged! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

T-bones seared 2 mins each side and finished over indirect to a nice medium.

This Weber master touch is getting plenty of use. Love the sear grate.

I have to say I was amazed at how easy it was to keep the master touch at 200-225F today. Kept it there for about 6 hours with no big fuss.

Had filled the smoker ring with coals and after 6 hours removed the smoker plate opened the vents and still had enough to cook sausages and salmon while the meat was resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know when adding unlit coals in on top of white ashed ones already in the pit of a kettle is it best to put the lid on or off to get them to ignite quickly? Had the lid on tonight after topping up and it seemed to take an age for them to catch. Maybe it doesnt matter at all about the lid but was just wondering how others have found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks on a gas barbecue if you are only cooking a small amt say a few burgers should you only use one burner or should you always have 3 on to keep temps up ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know when adding unlit coals in on top of white ashed ones already in the pit of a kettle is it best to put the lid on or off to get them to ignite quickly? Had the lid on tonight after topping up and it seemed to take an age for them to catch. Maybe it doesnt matter at all about the lid but was just wondering how others have found it.

If you keep the lid on make sure all vents are open

Sidford wrote: »
    How much did that set you back? Doesn't qoute price on website.

60 quid for the 3 bags

Anyone know what delivery times are from Weber at the moment? Ordered charcoal and wood chips last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

https://twitter.com/TStarknova/status/1256707675867484167?s=19

Kinda messed up a bit tonight :( but worked out good in other ways. Got a rib-eye roast from my farmer brother from his own cow :) he doesn't care he woulnt know the difference between mince and ribeye....(dairy farmer!) it's just meat to him :(

Anyway split the rib roast into two massive ribeye steaks and decided to reverse sear them. Put them in the oven at 125c for an hour. But my f**k up I was in YouTube and mistook 125F for 125C. Disaster!! Bloody roasted them.

Decided nothing to loose, they are well done now so let's sear them anyway on the auld Weber and I got some serious sear and crust on them. See pic attached. Threw some chimmichuri over them and they were great. If I had had done them to the correct temp I think it would have been off the chart :)

Lesson learned

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Decided nothing to loose, they are well done now so let's sear them anyway on the auld Weber and I got some serious sear and crust on them. See pic attached. Threw some chimmichuri over them and they were great. If I had had done them to the correct temp I think it would have been off the chart :)

Lesson learned

An unfortunate mistake for such a beautiful cut of beef- I hope you weren't charged retail prices for that :D

I'm curious to know why you put them in an oven first. I can understand putting them on a low deflected heat on a charcoal BBQ to smoke them first and then sear, but what does a low oven do? Does it start to melt the fat making searing easier?

What i tend to do for a 2 rib rib-eye is get to room temp, sear on both sides for about 4-5 mins each side, then into the oven at 180 for about a further 15 mins- medium rare.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks on a gas barbecue if you are only cooking a small amt say a few burgers should you only use one burner or should you always have 3 on to keep temps up ?

Just in case you and others didn't know, there's a dedicated Gas BBQ thread here
    :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058003922

I've a 2 burner Gas BBQ and I put both on for burgers but after heating up the BBQ on max power, after i place the burgers on the grill i turn both burners down to 1/2 power- so burgers still sear, but they just take a little longer, but don't shrivel and dry up. Having both burners on gives a consistent heat distribution (obviously I close the lid throughout cooking time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

An unfortunate mistake for such a beautiful cut of beef- I hope you weren't charged retail prices for that :D

I'm curious to know why you put them in an oven first. I can understand putting them on a low deflected heat on a charcoal BBQ to smoke them first and then sear, but what does a low oven do? Does it start to melt the fat making searing easier?

What i tend to do for a 2 rib rib-eye is get to room temp, sear on both sides for about 4-5 mins each side, then into the oven at 180 for about a further 15 mins- medium rare.

Theory was to put in the oven to get it up to med rare temp internally (130f or 57c) my mistake was putting in at 130c.... It's called reverse searing. Normally people do it on their grills with very low temps but I just have a basic Weber grill and couldn't be bothered watching the or trying to get my grill to maintain 57deg the oven seemed a better more controlled option.

Bloody Americans and their backwards units....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

heroics wrote: »
    Anyone know what delivery times are from Weber at the moment? Ordered charcoal and wood chips last Saturday.

I finally got my order from them last week. Took 3 weeks from time of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Chicken going on,
    chicken.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you keep the lid on make sure all vents are open

yeah I had the fully vents open on the lid and in the pit but the new coals seemed to take an age to ignite off the ones already burning white ash. Its probably my charcoal, Im trying to get through a bag of B&Qs own brand stuff which is god awful. But was just wondering is it best to leave the lid off or on to get them to ignite the quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Finished product
    finished-chicken.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Sorry terrible photo but it tasted damn good. Normally double check my photos but was to hungry to wait! They weren't even the greatest striplions but still one of the tastiest steaks I've cooked. Done over charcoal with a cup of weber american blend hardwood pellets thrown in for smoke before putting the steaks on.

Served with roasted veg, aubergine and sweet potato fries.
    IMG_20200503_174351.jpg

• Advertisement

A very tasty easy to make rub for pork & just as good on chicken. Very good site with recipes aswell

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

Advertisement