Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Did a 1kg Cote de Boeuf yesterday on the Masterbuilt Kamado. Reversed seared at 160°C until an internal temp of 45°C and then finished on the flame.

VN2IBlnl.jpg?2
    cujFT7Wl.jpg
    wRxJf0Ll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just took a brisket off, currently resting, im hopeing and praying ive succeeded

Put on at 3 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Put together the Weber Master Touch premium, however there is some paint chipped on the bottom of the kettle on the inside, it's where the one touch cleaning system meets the weld of the leg, anything that needs to be addressed? I've checked the the fins and the seem ok and not lifting any more paint off than the original chips.

iwPYP7ps.jpg
      5nWOeRys.jpg
      tLwFffJs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Did a chicken yesterday
      With a lot of what I learned here in the last few day’s

For a first time used my food thermometer I got from China a few years ago

At the last minute I decided not to mount the chicken on the holder and left it on the grill

Turned out better than previous attempts

Went this rub
      https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beer-can-chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Osborne wrote: »
      Did a 1kg Cote de Boeuf yesterday on the Masterbuilt Kamado. Reversed seared at 160°C until an internal temp of 45°C and then finished on the flame.

VN2IBlnl.jpg?2
      cujFT7Wl.jpg
      wRxJf0Ll.jpg

Looks great. How do you find the Masterbuilt Kamado? I’m thinking of getting one sooner rather than later so would love to hear your about your experience with it. Where did you buy it from?

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Home made vortex from a €2 dog bowl. Woof.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any recommendations on where to get the pizza stone for the weber master touch GBS? Is there a knock off version that is just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Jim Stynes wrote: »
      Any recommendations on where to get the pizza stone for the weber master touch GBS? Is there a knock off version that is just as good?

There were pizza stone in Lidl last week. I doubt they have any or many left if you check your local

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Looks great. How do you find the Masterbuilt Kamado? I’m thinking of getting one sooner rather than later so would love to hear your about your experience with it. Where did you buy it from?

I got it from aroomoutside last week. They were very helpful and were able to give plenty advise on set up, accessories and cooking options etc.

This is my first Kamado so I don't necessarily have anything to compare it to, like for like but completely blows anything I have had before away. I am finding it very easy to use and adjusting temperatures very straight forward.

So far it seems like a good purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi all,

To try and avoid confusion, I've renamed this thread to add the word Charcoal.

Hope you're all enjoying your new purchases! :D

The Gloomster!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Holy Diver wrote: »
      Hi all,

I’m looking at retiring my gas bbq and going charcoal.

From doing a bit of research I’ve been drawn to the Weber 57cm premium at a little under €400. It just seems extremely versatile and the idea of the different gbs inserts looks pretty appealing.

Any recommendations for good alternatives to consider? I aim to do a mix of grilling and low and slow

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Anyone??

This is discussed pretty frequently on here and it always ends the same way - get a Weber :)

I have a Kamado Joe myself and I love it but they are very expensive. When I bought it I didn't really know you could do most of the same things on a Weber and maybe I would have gotten a Weber if I did, but I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever - the Joe is a fantastic BBQ. The Kamado Joe 1, which is what I have, seems to be retired now and re-branded as the Mastertouch Kamado for less money. The Kamado Joe 2 and 3 are more expensive that the Kamado Joe 1 ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weber is very versatile, well made and easily able to do both low & slow or direct grilling. Good choice of accessories aswell for various cooks

With the good weather I've been doing a bit of grilling. Just small cooks for myself and my wife really as it doesn't make sense to cook large pieces of meat when I can't invite people over to eat!

The onions and peppers on the cast iron plate were particularly good when I made steak fajitas. If only I could keep that thing rust free. Would be interested in hearing any tips for (a) removing rust from cast iron and (b) keeping it off. I have seasoned it and I never put water near it but it still gets rusty - I blame our climate. Right now I am sanding some rust off the griddle side and will re-season when I am done.

Fajitas
      UQcBGtzl.jpg

dkdqKy9l.jpg

Spatchcock Chicken
      qfHLSj3l.jpg

Cheeseburger
      BtqqCJel.jpg

All delicious but I think after seeing the ribeye pics above it will be ribeye for me next weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

budgemook wrote: »
      This is discussed pretty frequently on here and it always ends the same way - get a Weber :)

I have a Kamado Joe myself and I love it but they are very expensive. When I bought it I didn't really know you could do most of the same things on a Weber and maybe I would have gotten a Weber if I did, but I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever - the Joe is a fantastic BBQ. The Kamado Joe 1, which is what I have, seems to be retired now and re-branded as the Mastertouch Kamado for less money. The Kamado Joe 2 and 3 are more expensive that the Kamado Joe 1 ever was.

I saw the rebranded Kamado Joe 1 mentioned previously alright. Is the smaller grill limiting? It’s 45cm vs the 57cm for the Weber right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some pics from over the weekend

saturday was low and slow pork with bbw beans and corn on the cob, sunday was peri peri chicken, monday was a lovely lump of sirloin done in coffee rub

beef was a little overdone, used the weber lumpwood and it's so small and charcoal like it burns way hotter than the bluebag or the KJ XL red bag stuff. temp got a way from me a bit while i took the kids for a walk so it was hotter than planned. still very nice though

AvhQoM0l.jpg

uqM7eoLl.jpg

toXJdRil.jpg

tC67goUl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Yea based on research and a lot of advice on here I ordered a touch premium on Wednesday night with outdoor scene and took delivery of it a few minutes ago.

They have a very good reputation and are meant to be perfect for all type of BBQ enthusiasts.

A little friendly warning though is that a lot people recommend some other purchases such as a 2 probe thermometer, an instant thermometer, charcoal starter chimney etc so might need to factor in some additional expense if getting one.

have had webers for 20 years and would never give out about them (it's only webers plural from moving apartments in the US and then moving back to ireland that meant it was more than 1. looked after they would last a lifetime).

the kettles are bombproof, and as said you can do most things on them

still have my weber sat beside my KJ Classic 3 and would not get rid of it. but the KJ's are jsut another level, certainly one you pay for, but very much worth it.

to the op, if the budget stretches to a weber, buy with confidence, they are a cracking BBQ and serve you for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Anyone have a good Charcoal supplier in Ireland ?

Have mixed results with Weber lumpwood where the chunks can be quite small and slip through the grates.

carq wrote: »
      Anyone have a good Charcoal supplier in Ireland ?

Have mixed results with Weber lumpwood where the chunks can be quite small and slip through the grates.

aroomoutside do the blue bags, as do woodfuel but i've never used them. the blue bag stuff is much bigger, and i find much better than the weber lumpwood which is very small as you say.

• Advertisement

I saw the rebranded Kamado Joe 1 mentioned previously alright. Is the smaller grill limiting? It’s 45cm vs the 57cm for the Weber right?

18 inches is fine for me anyway - largest thing I've ever cooked is probably a turkey. I posted some pictures today and I see mossym just posted some pics of his 18inch Kamado too. Depends how much you want to cook I suppose.

Charcoal - woodfuel.ie and some guy on the Facebook BBQ Ireland group delivers charcoal to me when I need it (I muted that group a long time ago but it was good to have found the guy with the charcoal).

We should probably update post 1 on this thread with charcoal, meat and bbq recommendations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

We should probably update post 1 on this thread with charcoal, meat and bbq recommendations :D

and links to handy websites/recipes & Youtubers

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Hate any site that says call us for price
      Unfortunately a room outside are sold out of blue bags
      Has anyone ordered from woodfuel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The onions and peppers on the cast iron plate were particularly good when I made steak fajitas. If only I could keep that thing rust free. Would be interested in hearing any tips for (a) removing rust from cast iron and (b) keeping it off. I have seasoned it and I never put water near it but it still gets rusty - I blame our climate. Right now I am sanding some rust off the griddle side and will re-season when I am done.

Oil.
      Oil your cast iron before and after use. If you keep them oiled they won't rust.
      I just brush with oil and put the lid on while it's cooling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

18 inches is fine for me anyway - largest thing I've ever cooked is probably a turkey. I posted some pictures today and I see mossym just posted some pics of his 18inch Kamado too. Depends how much you want to cook I suppose.

Charcoal - woodfuel.ie and some guy on the Facebook BBQ Ireland group delivers charcoal to me when I need it (I muted that group a long time ago but it was good to have found the guy with the charcoal).

Am I right in thinking that the kamado uses a heat deflector? So all of the cooking surface is available to cook something indirect. Whereas with the weber kettle you'll have an area for coals and therefore won't have the full 57cm for your food.

Where I suspect the weber size is better is if you're cooking over coals for a good few people. You'll simply have more room with it. I cooked for 60 one day last summer on a kettle. The size was useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hate any site that says call us for price
      Unfortunately a room outside are sold out of blue bags
      Has anyone ordered from woodfuel

Yip

Been getting charcoal from them for years

Just ordered from them today (for delivery) very helpful and obliging
      give John a call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Anyone here use a mixture of sous vide (anova) cooking and finishing on BBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone here use a mixture of sous vide (anova) cooking and finishing on BBQ?

These are your friend. Also just great to get a couple of more years from an older BBQ with worn grates.

If you want to get funky you can chuck a few wood pellets into the "gullys".

https://www.grillgrate.com/science-of-grillgrates/

Oil.
      Oil your cast iron before and after use. If you keep them oiled they won't rust.
      I just brush with oil and put the lid on while it's cooling down.
      Oh you oil it every time? Interesting - I will try that when I get my cast iron restored.
      blue note wrote: »
      Am I right in thinking that the kamado uses a heat deflector? So all of the cooking surface is available to cook something indirect. Whereas with the weber kettle you'll have an area for coals and therefore won't have the full 57cm for your food.

Where I suspect the weber size is better is if you're cooking over coals for a good few people. You'll simply have more room with it. I cooked for 60 one day last summer on a kettle. The size was useful.

Kamado Joe comes with 2 half moon heat deflectors so you can configure it for fully indirect, half indirect half direct or fully direct.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I bought a rack of ribs and I need advice. Here is the plan, so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong or what I should be doing instead.

1. Cut the ribs in half and apply olive oil and dry rub all over both sides of the ribs.
      2. leave in the fridge overnight.
      3. Get the weber kettle up to about 220 degrees and put the ribs on it for an hour.
      4. Apply more rub and basting sauce at this stage.
      5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 another 2 hours later.
      6. After 3 hours apply the sauce and leave on for 30 mins. (I'm going to make 2 different sauces, one spicy and one more sticky and sweet)
      7. Let the ribs rest for 30 mins.

Has anyone used Frank's hot sauce for ribs? Do I need to cover in tin foil at any stage when cooking?

I haven't a clue what I am doing so it's all experimenting at the minute. Any advice would be welcome. 

Advertisement