Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I bought a rack of ribs and I need advice. Here is the plan, so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong or what I should be doing instead.

1. Cut the ribs in half and apply olive oil and dry rub all over both sides of the ribs.
    2. leave in the fridge overnight.
    3. Get the weber kettle up to about 220 degrees and put the ribs on it for an hour.
    4. Apply more rub and basting sauce at this stage.
    5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 another 2 hours later.
    6. After 3 hours apply the sauce and leave on for 30 mins. (I'm going to make 2 different sauces, one spicy and one more sticky and sweet)
    7. Let the ribs rest for 30 mins.

Has anyone used Frank's hot sauce for ribs? Do I need to cover in tin foil at any stage when cooking?

I haven't a clue what I am doing so it's all experimenting at the minute. Any advice would be welcome. 

Theres no right or wrong way, well, to a degree. My go to is a brush of Heinz or Frenchs mustard, then a dry rub of paprika, brown sugar, garlic, onion, pepper, cayenne and then 2-2-1.

2 hours cooked uncovered, 2 hours cooked in foil, 1 hour cooked in sauce. Or 90 mins, 90 mins, 45 mins. Depending on the size. As long as they're falling off the bone you're in business.

Something like this.

Theres no right or wrong way. That said, don't use Franks hot sauce!

And make sure to get that membrane off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Speaking of ribs, anyone know where to get good spare ribs in Dublin? I find that they don’t have much meat here compared to what you see on YouTube videos from the US. I have asked butchers before about ribs with extra meat but they always think I mean belly on ribs and it’s difficult to get beyond that - unfortunately I still don’t have a relationship with a butcher for things like that and am actually on the look out for a new butcher after a few recent disappointments.

budgemook wrote: »
    Speaking of ribs, anyone know where to get good spare ribs in Dublin? I find that they don’t have much meat here compared to what you see on YouTube videos from the US. I have asked butchers before about ribs with extra meat but they always think I mean belly on ribs and it’s difficult to get beyond that - unfortunately I still don’t have a relationship with a butcher for things like that and am actually on the look out for a new butcher after a few recent disappointments.

Yeah the fattier ribs are from the belly but not the way theyre cut here. We basically have babybacks or pork belly. What you (and I) are essentially after are spareribs from the pork belly but cut St. Louis style. I havent found a butcher yet that will do it but I may just try it myself.

From top to bottom: St. Louis-style, baby back, spareribs. The St. Louis-style ribs at the top are just spareribs cut and trimmed.

Basically-Ribs-Ingredients.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Anyone have a bit of trouble with the hinge lid on the master touch premium? Think I've got it right now but was surprised how finicky it is and seems a little unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Where in Dublin are you? I get ribs from OMahonys in Coolock or Higgins in Sutton and both are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Sidford wrote: »
    Anyone have a bit of trouble with the hinge lid on the master touch premium? Think I've got it right now but was surprised how finicky it is and seems a little unnecessary

Yep found it a pain to get sealed. Followed the YouTube video earlier in this thread and that helped. Noticed today after a week that it’s not sealing again. Presume I just need to readjust and make sure I tighten it properly next time.

BBQ instant meat thermometers - any recommendations? Looking for a GOOD simple instant temp probe right now as opposed to anything bluetooth etc

Any recommendations welcome. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got another piece of brisket put a rub on it for tomorrow. Cut off a 550g piece and minced it to have burgers this evening. I must say I love cooking them on the charcoal they get a lovely colour on the bbq you don't get on the pan never mind the extra flavour. Made plain baps instead of brioche bit less work and nearly as good.

Cooked some tandoori chicken breast as well that will be used for butter chicken curry. Amazing how much you can cook with half a starter chimney of briquettes with a proper well sealed kettle with good vent control. Lot less wasteful on charcoal too as it quickly goes out when I close them. I've been able to reuse a good amount of charcoal after every cook I've done so far.

IMG_20200505_193404.jpg
    IMG_20200505_200424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

just make sure those temps are F and not C.

85334414.jpg
    Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I bought a rack of ribs and I need advice. Here is the plan, so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong or what I should be doing instead.

1. Cut the ribs in half and apply olive oil and dry rub all over both sides of the ribs.
    2. leave in the fridge overnight.
    3. Get the weber kettle up to about 220 degrees and put the ribs on it for an hour.
    4. Apply more rub and basting sauce at this stage.
    5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 another 2 hours later.
    6. After 3 hours apply the sauce and leave on for 30 mins. (I'm going to make 2 different sauces, one spicy and one more sticky and sweet)
    7. Let the ribs rest for 30 mins.

Has anyone used Frank's hot sauce for ribs? Do I need to cover in tin foil at any stage when cooking?

I haven't a clue what I am doing so it's all experimenting at the minute. Any advice would be welcome. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Sidford wrote: »
    heroics wrote: »
    Yep found it a pain to get sealed. Followed the YouTube video earlier in this thread and that helped. Noticed today after a week that it’s not sealing again. Presume I just need to readjust and make sure I tighten it properly next time.

Have one on the way..

Is this the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nothing quite says BBQ like a big thick bone in steak. So the good news is from tomorrow 7 May until 13th May at the butchers counter in Supervalue Cowboy steaks are back with 25% off, down from 17.49/kg to 12.49/kg. Fill yer boots.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meat-poultry-steaks-rib-cowboy-steak-serve-over-counter/p-1370873001

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah the fattier ribs are from the belly but not the way theyre cut here. We basically have babybacks or pork belly. What you (and I) are essentially after are spareribs from the pork belly but cut St. Louis style. I havent found a butcher yet that will do it but I may just try it myself.

From top to bottom: St. Louis-style, baby back, spareribs. The St. Louis-style ribs at the top are just spareribs cut and trimmed.
    Yeah that's it. When you say you might try it yourself what are you planning? Is it buying the belly with the ribs attached and cutting the ribs off?
    neris wrote: »
    Where in Dublin are you? I get ribs from OMahonys in Coolock or Higgins in Sutton and both are good

I am in the the Navan Road area so Coolock wouldn't be out of the question if the ribs were going to be good. Are they the American style as mentioned in the post from The Nal?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

oleras wrote: »
    just make sure those temps are F and not C.

85334414.jpg

Wow thats cremated :) You'll only make that mistake once

BBQ instant meat thermometers - any recommendations? Looking for a GOOD simple instant temp probe right now as opposed to anything bluetooth etc

Any recommendations welcome. thanks.

This is perfect and great value. Use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPELEK-Thermometer-Digital-Cooking-Instant/dp/B07ZKXXTQS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=topelek+cooking+digital+thermometer&qid=1588770879&s=kitchen&sr=1-3
    Yeah that's it. When you say you might try it yourself what are you planning? Is it buying the belly with the ribs attached and cutting the ribs off?

Basically yeah.

Doesnt seem to difficult. He describes them as "USA ribs".

deckie27 wrote: »
    Have one on the way..

Is this the video?

Yes that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

budgemook wrote:
    I am in the the Navan Road area so Coolock wouldn't be out of the question if the ribs were going to be good. Are they the American style as mentioned in the post from The Nal?

I used to use ethersons butchers in Cabra when i worked in the area always found them very accomadating.

This is perfect and great value. Use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPELEK-Thermometer-Digital-Cooking-Instant/dp/B07ZKXXTQS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=topelek+cooking+digital+thermometer&qid=1588770879&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

Basically yeah.

Doesnt seem to difficult. He describes them as "USA ribs".

Thank you! A project for the weekend.

Thank you! A project for the weekend.

Yeah and for me! Getting the smoker on anyway and Ive a couple of sharp knives here that need a run out

Yeah and for me! Getting the smoker on anyway and Ive a couple of sharp knives here that need a run out

Just watched it there. So he is calling the rack of ribs the USA ribs and what is left he's calling spare ribs. Are there bones in his "spare ribs"?

I'm more confused now than I was before :D

Just watched it there. So he is calling the rack of ribs the USA ribs and what is left he's calling spare ribs. Are there bones in his "spare ribs"?

I'm more confused now than I was before :D

Yeah it changes from country to country!

To clarify. Hes calling the pork belly ribs "spare ribs".

Americans call his USA ribs "spare ribs".

Either way, the St Louis cut that you see on the American BBQ shows are his "USA ribs". ie, the ribs (on the bone) from the belly.

This explains it aswell

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-baby-back-ribs-and-st-louis-ribs-meat-basics-219386

• Advertisement

Spares & baby backs arent particualarly fat on top its the meat between the bones your after. Pork belly has bone in it but its normally taken out for supermarket pork belly slices and bigger pieces.

Okay so those belly ribs the guy slices up in the end all have a bone in them yeah?

Okay so those belly ribs the guy slices up in the end all have a bone in them yeah?

No, well maybe tiny bits. The ribs he slices up at the end are these ones you would see in the butchers.

AB7AFC5B-F305-4481-B4B0-D8264EA4108D.jpeg

ah yeah I was thinking that. See I would call belly ribs those ribs you get with the belly on the bone. So many differences from country to country!

I might get a belly so this weekend and cut the ribs off and make some ribs. I'll keep the belly itself whole and make bacon or something.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ordered the Weber 5775 premium from theorchard on the 27th April.

Not a dickiebird out of them in relation to delivery times or anything. The product is now not available on their website.

Have had no luck getting hold of them either on phone or by email.

Anyone else having similar issues? I've no problem waiting, its no biggie, but just would appreciate some kind of update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Not a dickiebird out of them in relation to delivery times or anything. The product is now not available on their website.

Anyone else having similar issues? I've no problem waiting, its no biggie, but just would appreciate some kind of update.

been waiting on a response from them for over a week now, not a BBQ but an expensive item. had some initial email, then got a "everything you need is on our webpage" call, asked a specific question about installation (which wasn't on their webpage) which was the last thing before ordering (and told them that). no reply to that email, sent another, got a promise of a call, and now waiting on that.

i get that it is tough times, but outdoors.ie and aroomoutside have both been superb with their respones. given the cost of the item i'm worried about ordering with the orchard and i'm looking at UK suppliers who might ship here

ah yeah I was thinking that. See I would call belly ribs those ribs you get with the belly on the bone. So many differences from country to country!

I might get a belly so this weekend and cut the ribs off and make some ribs. I'll keep the belly itself whole and make bacon or something.

Cheers!

Our local chinese does belly rib cuts for their bbq spare ribs, salt & chilli ribs and honey ribs. After them as a starter youd nearly be full for the main course. But if you want very meaty ribs Beef ribs are the way to go

I ordered same bbq on the 25th and got delivery on the 29th. I emailed them on the 27th about delivery charges and got a call back within 30 mins.

Emailed them about the cover missing and they rang me back the following day.

Have had no issues with the comms from them however I couldn’t get them on the phone. Never seem to answer it always goes to voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no issues here ordered a gas weber on the 25th and was delivered on the 30th, rang to say that my cover would be delivered separately, have you tried dropping a message through the webform when you view your order?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

end of april was when i was getting responses too. it's the last week things have dried up. anyone heard from them in may?

Advertisement