Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.

Looking for some advice on what people think is the best way to go for a new BBQ. Would be budgeting somewhere in the €300-€400 range.

All opinions welcome

I need to hibernate

512126.jpg
    512125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Ordered the Weber 5775 premium from theorchard on the 27th April.

Not a dickiebird out of them in relation to delivery times or anything. The product is now not available on their website.

Have had no luck getting hold of them either on phone or by email.

Anyone else having similar issues? I've no problem waiting, its no biggie, but just would appreciate some kind of update.

Ordered mine the 26th April along with the Weber chimney starter pack and the free Weber cover.
    BBQ arrived Thursday the 30th April via DPD
    Chimney starter pack on Sat 2nd of May not an official DPD van seemed to be a sub contractor.
    Put the BBQ together on Monday 4th as had been working, few chips on paint work on the kettle base on inside near one touch cleaning system,(photos a few posts back) took photos and sent email immediately.
    Got a response back Wednesday 6th of May, asking for my number & someone would be in contact.
    7th of May missed phone call at 17.50 but they left a voicemail so I've replied via email as no one answered when I rang back, it was after 7 so no issue there .

I'm still waiting on my cover although I suspect DPD may be the issue, overall been happy with the service and contact from the Orchard, message them via customerservice@theorchard.ie OP they will get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Genius2013 wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.

Looking for some advice on what people think is the best way to go for a new BBQ. Would be budgeting somewhere in the €300-€400 range.

All opinions welcome

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bump!

Weber kettle type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Bump!

There's a lot of advice about 10 pages back. With that sort of budget a Weber is probably the go to for a charcoal and a premium touch would be 370ish depending where you buy it.
    Garden centre in Goatstown still had some Weber's left and delivers fairly quickly outside of that suppose depends where you're based.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Weber mastertouch - €320

Anyone do peppers and onions on grill? Have some of the foil trays and was going to cook them in that with some oil and seasoning? Assume that would be alright. Just going for a quick tex mex / fajita.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sidford wrote: »
    Anyone do peppers and onions on grill? Have some of the foil trays and was going to cook them in that with some oil and seasoning? Assume that would be alright. Just going for a quick tex mex / fajita.

I don't know the science behind it, but for whatever reason, throwing some chopped/sliced red onions on the hot plate for a few seconds and then a little bit of pineapple juice and giving them a toss creates the tastiest onions you'll ever have.

I did mushrooms and onions last night, with that steak, and all worked out well.

Did peppers and onions 2 weeks back for fajitas.

• Advertisement

I did mushrooms and onions last night, with that steak, and all worked out well.

Did peppers and onions 2 weeks back for fajitas.

In a foil tray or just on the actual grill itself??

Btw mushrooms are the food of the devil but that's for another thread :0)

The Nal wrote: »
    I don't know the science behind it, but for whatever reason, throwing some chopped/sliced red onions on the hot plate for a few seconds and then a little bit of pineapple juice and giving them a toss creates the tastiest onions you'll ever have.

Must try that alright when I pick up a hot plate for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I recently built what I thought was a pretty cool BBQ using a load of square concrete paving slabs that I wanted rid of. If I say so myself it looked the dog's b****x. I put the charcoals directly down on one slab as a cooking plate if you will with the grill suspended above it. It worked a dream. Best BBQ ever. Then someone warned me that I was risking life and limb by setting it up that way. I now know that concrete paving slabs are known to explode when heated and cause serious injury.

So I thought I better adapt my design. I took the sheetmetal back off of an old tumble dryer I wanted rid of (no I don't own a scrapyard!) cut it and bent it to form a BBQ tray. Much safer apparently but hopeless to cook on. On two occasions the charcoal failed to get a coating of ash. This was the same charcoal (Lidl - red bag) that worked perfectly when placed directly on the slab. It generated so little heat that I could actually pick up the metal tray while it was "lit".

Anyhow, to make a long story even longer and more boring, I took a chance and reverted to my dangerous original method and again it worked fantastically. Does anyone know the science behind this because I don't. I'll be risking death again this evening grilling lamb steaks with olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

pawdee wrote: »
    I recently built what I thought was a pretty cool BBQ using a load of square concrete paving slabs that I wanted rid of. If I say so myself it looked the dog's b****x. I put the charcoals directly down on one slab as a cooking plate if you will with the grill suspended above it. It worked a dream. Best BBQ ever. Then someone warned me that I was risking life and limb by setting it up that way. I now know that concrete paving slabs are known to explode when heated and cause serious injury.

So I thought I better adapt my design. I took the sheetmetal back off of an old tumble dryer I wanted rid of (no I don't own a scrapyard!) cut it and bent it to form a BBQ tray. Much safer apparently but hopeless to cook on. On two occasions the charcoal failed to get a coating of ash. This was the same charcoal (Lidl - red bag) that worked perfectly when placed directly on the slab. It generated so little heat that I could actually pick up the metal tray while it was "lit".

Anyhow, to make a long story even longer and more boring, I took a chance and reverted to my dangerous original method and again it worked fantastically. Does anyone know the science behind this because I don't. I'll be risking death again this evening grilling lamb steaks with olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Cheers!

My charcoal chimney exploded last year and set the lawn on fire!
    Was resting on concrete at the time and took a chunk out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

carq wrote: »
    My charcoal chimney exploded last year and set the lawn on fire!
    Was resting on concrete at the time and took a chunk out of it.

Sounds like the concrete exploded and not the charcoal chimney! I'm only starting to research this now so I'm no expert but apparently it's something to do with pockets of moisture within concrete expanding when heated and then......Kaboom!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Yup concrete does explode. Never ever leave a chimney for example down on concrete or there will be a nice hole there when you return plus chance of flying debris

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pawdee sounds like you need fire bricks which are designed for high heat, people use them in the building of pizza ovens. They can be found inside salvaged storage heaters if you want the DIY route or are available for sale from builders merchants and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I use a slab of granite I got in Woodies for pizza. It's meant as a garden stepping stone or something - I hope it doesn't explode.

Peppers and onions off a cast iron grill on the BBQ are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Get a few of these - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/baskets-and-pans/6677.html - Cook anything flimsy in them that might fall through the grill like onions etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

budgemook wrote: »
    I use a slab of granite I got in Woodies for pizza. It's meant as a garden stepping stone or something - I hope it doesn't explode.

Peppers and onions off a cast iron grill on the BBQ are unreal.

Granite won’t explode.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just been cleaning coals out after my last cook and this was in the bottom of the coal basket with the ash

20200508-191839.jpg

davegilly wrote: »
    Get a few of these - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/baskets-and-pans/6677.html - Cook anything flimsy in them that might fall through the grill like onions etc

Great cheers that'd be well handy to cook some veg on that alright.
    I have foil trays from Aldi or Lidl that I'll use tomorrow for the veg, should be good enough for first try.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

Probably going to buy a Weber touch premium .. going to go the whole hog and get the accessories etc.. where is the best place to get it.. living in the south of the country..no crèche fees at moment so going to splash out 😂😂

Foil tray punctured a few times, with a large knife.

Sauté, stirfry, fry, pasta, in a pepper sauce.
    Mushrooms are food of champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Chop up courgette into chunky chip size batons. Coat with olive oil, salt/pepper. Amazing side with a slight texture of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

neris wrote: »
    Just been cleaning coals out after my last cook and this was in the bottom of the coal basket with the ash

20200508-191839.jpg

Diamond? :eek:

Looks like a small bit of Quartz

Did this dry rub on a steak to make burritos and did onions and peppers on a foil tray from Aldi. First time working on a charcoal BBQ and happy how it.turned out. Few tweaks needed alright but would highly recommend the dry rub - cracking taste off it with a bit of lime juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Pork shoulder rubbed with Big Bob Gibson and smoked for 10hrs over apple wood and weber briquettes in my WSM. Longest cook I've done and the stall seemed to take forever but taken off eventually when it hit 88C . Rested for an hour,got the bear claws into it and sauced with Stubbs bbq sauce. Served in brioche buns,mmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Hey guys, were do you get your smoke wood?

Advertisement