Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

neris wrote: »
    Just been cleaning coals out after my last cook and this was in the bottom of the coal basket with the ash

20200508-191839.jpg

Its quartz. Is it within the pebbledash on the house? These bits are always falling off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I didn't order a pork belly in the end and just asked a local butcher for some spare ribs instead. I'm pretty sure he gave me baby back ribs but they turned out great anyway. I've decided for next time I'm going to give Peter from the Whole Hoggs a shout and ask him to send me up the belly, ribs and loin un-butchered and see how I go from there. His pork is incredible - no surprise really, I saw him on TV a few weeks ago and the black pigs he raises are running around in a huge open area with big happy heads on them. Since the market in Glasnevin shut up shop he has been taking orders online. Probably won't be for a few weeks though as my wife won't let me order in all that pork until there are other people around to help eat it.

To go with the ribs I made some tandoori chicken fillets, sausages and vegetable skewers. Everything tasted great and the lovely weather yesterday made it a very enjoyable days cooking.

BGYzn0Sl.jpg

eLNzZdkl.jpg

yl7Yj08l.jpg

budgemook wrote: »
    I didn't order a pork belly in the end and just asked a local butcher for some spare ribs instead. I'm pretty sure he gave me baby back ribs but they turned out great anyway. I've decided for next time I'm going to give Peter from the Whole Hoggs a shout and ask him to send me up the belly, ribs and loin un-butchered and see how I go from there. His pork is incredible - no surprise really, I saw him on TV a few weeks ago and the black pigs he raises are running around in a huge open area with big happy heads on them. Since the market in Glasnevin shut up shop he has been taking orders online. Probably won't be for a few weeks though as my wife won't let me order in all that pork until there are other people around to help eat it.

To go with the ribs I made some tandoori chicken fillets, sausages and vegetable skewers. Everything tasted great and the lovely weather yesterday made it a very enjoyable days cooking.

BGYzn0Sl.jpg

eLNzZdkl.jpg

yl7Yj08l.jpg

Did you foil the ribs? How long did they cook for?

Did you foil the ribs? How long did they cook for?

I didn't foil them during the cook, no. I did them at 250F for about 2.5 - 3 hours but then when I put a glaze on them towards the end the coals got a bit hotter than I wanted (due to open lid while glazing I suppose) causing the temp to rise to about 300F for the last half hour. I caught them just in time I think - I wouldn't say they were dry but they were a bit barky :) They were very good anyway.

Wrapped them in foil for about an hour to rest while I got everything else ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 winrowjones

I bought a beef brisket from James Whelan yesterday and what I have isn't what I see in US TV programmes. It looks more like a traditional roast cut....any ideas?

• Advertisement

I didn't foil them during the cook, no. I did them at 250F for about 2.5 - 3 hours but then when I put a glaze on them towards the end the coals got a bit hotter than I wanted (due to open lid while glazing I suppose) causing the temp to rise to about 300F for the last half hour. I caught them just in time I think - I wouldn't say they were dry but they were a bit barky :) They were very good anyway.

Wrapped them in foil for about an hour to rest while I got everything else ready.

Nice one! How did you do the tandoori chicken? Looks really good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I bought a beef brisket from James Whelan yesterday and what I have isn't what I see in US TV programmes. It looks more like a traditional roast cut....any ideas?

Probably rolled. Does it look like this?

Longhorn-Brisket.jpg

You can unroll it and cook it low and slow but you'll need to be very careful with the internal temperature as it'll likely be very flat once unrolled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nal wrote: »
    Probably rolled. Does it look like this?

Longhorn-Brisket.jpg

You can unroll it and cook it low and slow but you'll need to be very careful with the internal temperature as it'll likely be very flat once unrolled.

You can smoke it like that and then finish by braising in beer or wine with pearl onions

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Nice one! How did you do the tandoori chicken? Looks really good too!

Ha, that recipe is nearly a family tradition now even though it came from the back of a packet of curry powder years ago :D

The marinade is one tablespoon each of tandoori curry powder, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and Greek yoghurt. I make little criss cross incisions in the chicken and marinate it for as long as possible. Then just grilled it over hot coals before finishing over indirect heat.

That’s lunch today actually, had no chance of getting through it all yesterday.

Thanks for the replies looked exactly like that. I should have unrolled it, makes absolute sense. I smoked it as was, it’s fallen apart a bit but it smells amazing

Internal temp to 178f - that sound right?

• Advertisement

They say 203 for brisket but I was given a rolled one before like you and it was a bit dry by the time it hit 203 - I did unroll it mind you and the damn thing was in two pieces. If it is tender when probed with a skewer and tastes good then go with it!

Not sure I would get that again like that. It’s fallen apart quite a bit and is pretty messy. A tad tough as well. I’m putting it back in conventional oven at a low temp to continue cooking through

Tastes grand enough

Also burnt my finger on an internal probe!

Anyone recommend anywhere to get American style brisket? They had beef short ribs at Whelans, I’d likely get those next time

Anyone recommend anywhere to get American style brisket? They had beef short ribs at Whelans, I’d likely get those next time

You won't get American style brisket. The whole packer briskets you see online are from animals that are finished in Angel dust and corn, which is perfectly legal in the US. They are massive.

As any decent butcher and he'll give you a brisket. If you're anywhere near Celbridge go in to Conways on the main street.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Just put first half leg of lamb on now. Giving the meater it’s first run out as well.

Did baby back ribs on it yesterday and was pretty happy with them. 3 hours at 225 and then brush on bbq sce and about another 30 mins. Typical was so hungry I forgot to take a pic at the end.
    Used the recipe for cola bbq ribs from the Weber cookbook.

Praise Allah, I've successfully cooked a brisket. Juicy, well smoked, tender but not falling apart. I've climbed my bbq Everest and poured sauce all over it.

I've made plenty of briskets but I've never nailed it before.

It could be my last. Back to beef ribs.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

[Hung 5 racks of ribs yesterday in a drum type smoker and the temp just ran away with itself. Nothing I did got it under 280. All vents closed and the thing was still roaring away like a furnace. needless to say they werent great but edible

Before they went on.
    20200509-145607.jpg
    20200509-134422.jpg

[Hung 5 racks of ribs yesterday in a drum type smoker and the temp just ran away with itself. Nothing I did got it under 280. All vents closed and the thing was still roaring away like a furnace. needless to say they werent great but edible

Before they went on.
    20200509-145607.jpg
    20200509-134422.jpg

Happens on very hot days like yesterday. All you can do is start removing fuel until the temp drops. My WSM was at 50 degrees F internal one day last summer before I even started!

Happens on very hot days like yesterday. All you can do is start removing fuel until the temp drops. My WSM was at 50 degrees F internal one day last summer before I even started!

Do you ever use the WSM without the water pan? I have a ProQ and the water pan is huge in it so cooked without it yesterday but in the party when I've used it I find it kills the heat a good bit

This is the only place I've seen anyone use F over C. It's weird

• Advertisement

Do you ever use the WSM without the water pan? I have a ProQ and the water pan is huge in it so cooked without it yesterday but in the party when I've used it I find it kills the heat a good bit

I always do my ribs at around 275-290. The key is to smoker them for an hour and then wrap with apply juice. Works great

they/them/theirs

This is the only place I've seen anyone use F over C. It's weird

Real BBQ is from the American south. It's hard to avoid talking in F.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I always do my ribs at around 275-290. The key is to smoker them for an hour and then wrap with apply juice. Works great

Done ribs loads of times before & other cuts and never wrapped sms never had problems just yesterday and went tits up for some reason

Real BBQ is from the American south. It's hard to avoid talking in F.

May as well be talking in washing machines

26z8et6if1g31.jpg

heroics wrote: »
    Just put first half leg of lamb on now. Giving the meater it’s first run out as well.

Did baby back ribs on it yesterday and was pretty happy with them. 3 hours at 225 and then brush on bbq sce and about another 30 mins. Typical was so hungry I forgot to take a pic at the end.
    Used the recipe for cola bbq ribs from the Weber cookbook.

Lamb done and don’t think I’ll cook lamb in the oven again. Was smashing and the gravy from the drip tray was one of the best I’ve had.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Praise Allah, I've successfully cooked a brisket. Juicy, well smoked, tender but not falling apart. I've climbed my bbq Everest and poured sauce all over it.

I've made plenty of briskets but I've never nailed it before.

It could be my last. Back to beef ribs.

Well come on man, dont hold back what did you do?

I did a brisket last week that i felt was close but left it in the cooler to long and had dried in the center

It was the best brisket ive done thus far, but still not THE brisket

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Lamb done and don’t think I’ll cook lamb in the oven again. Was smashing and the gravy from the drip tray was one of the best I’ve had.

Looks good. this is my favourite lamb recipe for the bbq
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2014695/Jamie-Oliver-recipe-BBQ-leg-lamb-herbs.html

Regarding brisket - as Brian? says, you won't get the American style one (point and flat) here but you'll still get a good size one perfect for barbecuing. I would try stay away from the rolled up one though - it's just two think when rolled out and as I was saying earlier the one I got even came in two pieces. I got a deadly one in Gleeson's in Blanch shopping centre a while back. I didn't get to cook it right though, I had a house full of hungry people from about 5 o clock and at half 8 I just gave up and took it off :D

Yeah the Fahrenheit thing is weird at first but all the American recipe's use that unit so you just end up switching over. I have the grillstock book on my iPad and that uses Celsius - it drives me mad!

Just ate loads of left over barbecue chicken and ribs there today. Almost as good on day two, you just can't beat it.

How did the meater go? Still haven't used mine. Does it take long to set up? Do the temperature reads seem accurate?

Regarding brisket - as Brian? says, you won't get the American style one (point and flat) here but you'll still get a good size one perfect for barbecuing. I would try stay away from the rolled up one though - it's just two think when rolled out and as I was saying earlier the one I got even came in two pieces. I got a deadly one in Gleeson's in Blanch shopping centre a while back. I didn't get to cook it right though, I had a house full of hungry people from about 5 o clock and at half 8 I just gave up and took it off :D

Yeah the Fahrenheit thing is weird at first but all the American recipe's use that unit so you just end up switching over. I have the grillstock book on my iPad and that uses Celsius - it drives me mad!

Just ate loads of left over barbecue chicken and ribs there today. Almost as good on day two, you just can't beat it.

How did the meater go? Still haven't used mine. Does it take long to set up? Do the temperature reads seem accurate?

Honestly took about 10 mins to setup. Create an account etc.

Range from inside the kettle was not great though so had to leave the repeater outside but once I did that I could check from pretty much anywhere in the house.

Seems accurate enough and the timings it recommended were pretty accurate.

I attached the read from the lamb.

• Advertisement

Well come on man, dont hold back what did you do?

I did a brisket last week that i felt was close but left it in the cooler to long and had dried in the center

It was the best brisket ive done thus far, but still not THE brisket

Sure. Dry brined in salt over night. Injected with beef stock. Rubbed in salt,pepper,mustard powder and garlic powder. On the Weber Smokey Mountain at 250F with lumps of cherry wood. Cooked until 160F internal temp. Put in a roasting pan wrapped in foil with some more beef stock. Cooked until 195F internal. 1 hour rest and slice.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement