Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Are there any pointers you'd recommend for trying to learn how to Kerp your desired temperature constant or is ot just learn as you go.
    Currently only cooked the basics on the weber kettle but want to start trying longer cooks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Are there any pointers you'd recommend for trying to learn how to Kerp your desired temperature constant or is ot just learn as you go.
    Currently only cooked the basics on the weber kettle but want to start trying longer cooks

keep the lid closed and dont keep looking at the food. If your looking your not cooking. With the added air flowing into the cooker when you lift the lid the temps spike. Learn to control your vent positions they are what manages the air flow into the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Brian? wrote: »
    Sure. Dry brined in salt over night. Injected with beef stock. Rubbed in salt,pepper,mustard powder and garlic powder. On the Weber Smokey Mountain at 250F with lumps of cherry wood. Cooked until 160F internal temp. Put in a roasting pan wrapped in foil with some more beef stock. Cooked until 195F internal. 1 hour rest and slice.

I was watching pitmasterx marinade one in sweet soy sauce a few days ago, have one in the freezer since last year, may try that sweet soy marinade coupled with the semi braise method next weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have a couple of briskets done on the kamado joe since i got it

first was a little dry but that was as a result of a faulty probe on the thermopro, tested later to be measuting 72C in boiling water, it was the grate probe so was cooking way too hot, probably >300 when aiming for 225. meat was very tasty, but drier than it shoud have been due to the higher temp, plus it was a small brisket, which didn;t help

next wekend i went right back at it, using the thermometer in the KJ only and a single probe in the middle of the meat. this brisket was 2x the size of the first, and turned out wayyy better. way juicier.

both were done in a coffee beef rub, which is fast becoming a favourite. probably trying another brisket next weekend, although did some ribs at the weekend and my wife is asking can we do more ribs next weekend, they turned out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

anywhere delivering charcoal within a reasonably quick time frame ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    anywhere delivering charcoal within a reasonably quick time frame ?

Woodfuel.ie? Not sure where you are posting from.

I was in SuperValu in Rathborne (Dublin) yesterday and I saw they had big bags of "restaurant grade" charcoal for a tenner. I can't remember the brand name for the life of me but next time I'm up that way I will pick up a bag and see what it's like. On my last bag of quebracho and not sure if i'll be able to source more until we come out of lockdown. It costs 24 euros a bag anyway!

Aldi have lump and briquettes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

budgemook wrote: »
    Woodfuel.ie? Not sure where you are posting from.

I was in SuperValu in Rathborne (Dublin) yesterday and I saw they had big bags of "restaurant grade" charcoal for a tenner. I can't remember the brand name for the life of me but next time I'm up that way I will pick up a bag and see what it's like. On my last bag of quebracho and not sure if i'll be able to source more until we come out of lockdown. It costs 24 euros a bag anyway!

Out of stock on wood fuel unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Has anyone used ecofuel.ie ot any of the charcoal they provide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tenner in my local Supervalue. "30 litre" bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

The Nal wrote: »
    Tenner in my local Supervalue. "30 litre" bag

I got a bag at the weekend and it sparked like crazy. Massive pieces inside the bag I got (1 piece was about 8”long and about 2” diameter then smaller pieces) and it got to temp quick but didn’t last. Filled a chimney with it and it only just about cooked a few burgers and some salmon before the temp on the bbq dropped to 130c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

heroics wrote: »
    I got a bag at the weekend and it sparked like crazy. Massive pieces inside the bag I got (1 piece was about 8”long and about 2” diameter then smaller pieces) and it got to temp quick but didn’t last. Filled a chimney with it and it only just about cooked a few burgers and some salmon before the temp on the bbq dropped to 130c

Yeah I picked the bag up and it felt very very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

carq wrote: »

I have had brisket, lamb, cheeks, ribs and belly from these and all have been very decent cuts of meat. I would prefer to view normally but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

krissovo wrote: »
    I have had brisket, lamb, cheeks, ribs and belly from these and all have been very decent cuts of meat. I would prefer to view normally but so far so good.

I've got two briskets from palas the first tuned out very well for my first smoke ever. Used a plainer rub for second but couldn't keep the temperature down in the kettle stayed at 140c despite closing down the vents bit by bit. Should have closed them off more but i was busy with other stuff that day. It was still tasty but but was a bit more charred and drier. Didn't get as good a smoke ring either.

Did their beef short ribs too they were excellent.

The brisket is particularly good value for a 4kg piece. Used some for minced for burgers and diced for chilli. It really can be made go a long way.

Will probably get a pork butt next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My next adventure this weekend is a sucking pig from Pallas, it will probably end up an exercise in butchery but I have always fancied cooking my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I was looking at the pig on their website earlier, what sort of prep do you need to do to it before you're ready to cook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Just took delivery of some charcoal from woodfuel.ie

3 x 12Kg bags of restaurant grade charcoal

Highly recommend

I emailed to order earlier yesterday evening. I couldn't order from the site which i find unusual. It has Visa/Mastercard/PayPal signs on the site.
    Someone called Pamela emailed back and says she needs address and phone number so she can contact me tomorrow to get my credit card details.
    Is that how you paid?
    I don't like giving credit card details over the phone to someone I haven't done business with before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    I emailed to order earlier yesterday evening. I couldn't order from the site which i find unusual. It has Visa/Mastercard/PayPal signs on the site.
    Someone called Pamela emailed back and says she needs address and phone number so she can contact me tomorrow to get my credit card details.
    Is that how you paid?
    I don't like giving credit card details over the phone to someone I haven't done business with before.

I buy firewood off them throughout the winter and always pay over the phone. I’ve done it more than 10 times now I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Is that how you paid?

There sound.
    Got a load of charcoal last Friday from them

see pamela below.
    https://woodfuel.ie/contact-us/

If they ring from the numbers above thats another assurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

deckie27 wrote: »
    There sound.

see pamela below.

What price is the blue bag lump wood please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Pkiernan wrote: »

To be honest I don't know exactly
    2 blue heavy Restaurant grade
    2 brown bag lighter but perfect for grilling for an hour or 2 (got last 2 bags)
    6 namchar briquettes
    delivery (meath)
    100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Has anyone used Big K lumpwood? I found two bags in the shed but not sure its up to much?

https://bigkproducts.co.uk/products/lumpwood-charcoal/

Still awaiting my Weber Mastertouch from The Orchard. Apparently delivered this friday, but we will see....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Anyone used the briquettes or lumpwood available in Musgrave's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

glic83 wrote: »
    go back the last few pages people had mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

To be honest I don't know exactly
    2 blue heavy Restaurant grade
    2 brown bag lighter but perfect for grilling for an hour or 2 (got last 2 bags)
    6 namchar briquettes
    delivery (meath)
    100 euro

Thanks for the reply.

I used to get the 12kg restaurant grade for €12.50 a bag years ago. Love it. Still have one bag left after 6 years.

A surprisingly close second is the BnQ lumpwood in the white and red bags. Burns very hot and lasts longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

glic83 wrote: »

Barbequik brand? Lumps grand if a bit small briquettes are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

budgemook wrote: »
    I buy firewood off them throughout the winter and always pay over the phone. I’ve done it more than 10 times now I’d say.
    There sound.

see pamela below.

Thanks guys. I poke with Pamela and ordered 2 bags from her. She was very nice. She said they'd be delivered tomorrow which seems ultra fast seeing as i only spoke with her at 5pm!!
    Pkiernan wrote: »

For delivery of 2 bags, i was charged 45 euro.
    Bags are 12kg each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

neris wrote: »
    Barbequik brand? Lumps grand if a bit small briquettes are ****e

Cheers thought as much, using Weber briquettes and have Weber lumpwood there to get through, was just in Musgraves yesterday and spotted they had the Barbequik brand.

• Advertisement

No pictures, because it was honestly too tasty to bother waiting.

Marinated lamb leg steaks, with rice and naan bread.
    I don't do too much direct heat cooks but this will most definitely be done again.
    Marinated the lamb for about 18 hours in a Lemon base (Juice/Zest), Oil, Dried Oregano, Garlic, Salt, Chopped tomato, Fresh Rosemary/Thyme/Lemon mint from the garden.

First turns over a hot sector, then to medium heat area until finished. Took less than 10 minutes and it's the best thing that I've done on the grill!

Advertisement