Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I was looking at the pig on their website earlier, what sort of prep do you need to do to it before you're ready to cook?

I was not planning on too much apart from cleaning up any messy butchery and removing rogue hair etc followed by drying, salting and an oil rub. I think I will have to cook it tied up so it fits in the BBQ and in that case I will lightly stuff the cavity with apple, onion fresh herbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Still awaiting my Weber Mastertouch from The Orchard. Apparently delivered this friday, but we will see....

got an email from the orchard today, sear grate out of stock, so took a cover instead. Said that I should get a tracking number this week. But from what I understand DPD are completely backed up.

So no ideas when it will arrive. Its poor. They admitted that they didn't have the stock when I ordered on the 25th April, hence the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on low and slow on a regular Weber kettle. Should the bottom vent in the pit be left closed or what way to set it.
    Also has anyone come up with a good way of knowing how closed/open it is by the position of the lever. Was thinking maybe a sticker or something denoting 25%, 50%, 75% etc.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on low and slow on a regular Weber kettle. Should the bottom vent in the pit be left closed or what way to set it.
    Also has anyone come up with a good way of knowing how closed/open it is by the position of the lever. Was thinking maybe a sticker or something denoting 25%, 50%, 75% etc.

To one of the legs it's fully closed, mid point is fully open, the other leg "seems" partially open

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

How often to you lads clean your Weber Kettles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ive just discovered the Slow ‘N Sear Deluxe Kamado
    I think Im in love
    Anyone have any experience with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm spending nothing lately so have a few quid, I always wanted a big green egg but I'm thinking a normal bbq be more useful to me. What's the best options for around the 400 mark or should I take the hit and get an egg.

foodaholic wrote: »
    I think Im in love

Not that particular model but a big fan of Kamado Joe and have purchased one- I’ll never by a Weber charcoal BBQ again- ever! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Cooked using the blue bag today, noticed it took longer to get going compared to the stuff I'd bought locally while I was waiting. But also definitely burned hotter and longer I closed all vents yo kill it after 1hr 45 and was still good few big enough coals there.

BTW I got my weber from Dawsons in UK when I couldn't find it here . Came in 3 days from ordering with free sear plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

To one of the legs it's fully closed, mid point is fully open, the other leg "seems" partially open

cheers must check that out. Was it in the instructions like that or just something you figuerd out?
    And should the bottom vent be closed altogether for low and slow or just partially open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bottom vent needs to be open slightly. Your coals need air and if you close it your not letting oxygen into the coals to burn properly

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Jim Stynes wrote: »

Aside from a quick brush of the grates before cooking, never.

cheers must check that out. Was it in the instructions like that or just something you figuerd out?
    And should the bottom vent be closed altogether for low and slow or just partially open?

Honestly, first day before coals in I just looked at the venting positions. I double checked earlier, one leg closed/mid open/ other leg is the tiniest bit closed but fairly open

Closed vents will smother the coals, need to be open slightly to allow oxygen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Anyone any experience of using these:
    https://www.kadai.co.uk/

It doubles as a BBQ / Firepit, with a range of accessories available.
    It looks pretty cool, but my concern would be the lack of a cover would really limit options if you want cook something for a bit longer than just burgers or sausages.

Would be good to hear if anyone has used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Treepole wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of using these:
    https://www.kadai.co.uk/

It doubles as a BBQ / Firepit, with a range of accessories available.
    It looks pretty cool, but my concern would be the lack of a cover would really limit options if you want cook something for a bit longer than just burgers or sausages.

Would be good to hear if anyone has used one?

Never heard of them but they looks like they could survive a nuclear blast. Pricey mind you but they'll certainly do the job.

Speaking of firepits, I really really want this.

star-wars-death-star-fire-pit-3.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would leave the bottom vent fully open always and you can easily regulate with the top vent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Jim Stynes wrote: »

I find lighting a fire inside them does the job. Sometimes I get small flakes on the inside of the lid, I take off anything that looks loose with a wire brush. But I don't scrub at it, just a light rub.

What else would you need?

they/them/theirs

foodaholic wrote: »
    I think Im in love

https://www.snsgrills.com/collections/featured-products/products/slow-n-sear

Looks like it could damage the felt easily.
    Is there an advantage to having the coals so high ?

Were hoping to add a second patio area down the bottom of the garden so I'm half looking for a new BBQ to go on it.
    have a kamado and a gas one up on the big patio already so want something different.
    New patio will have a pizza oven eventually too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any views on whether it’s worthwhile to pay the extra €70 or so for the Weber premium over the master touch?

The lid hinge seems to be more of a nice to have and there are downsides to it too it seems.

Also I’m not sure if the deflector is of benefit. I’ve seen a review saying it is limiting in the amount of charcoal you can use and will likely need to lift off grate etc to add mid cook.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Brian? wrote: »
    I find lighting a fire inside them does the job. Sometimes I get small flakes on the inside of the lid, I take off anything that looks loose with a wire brush. But I don't scrub at it, just a light rub.

What else would you need?

I find I need to give it a bit of a clean from time to time as you get a build up of grease etc. around the inside which can go a bit gross over the winter if it's not being used much..

But maybe if it never has significant downtime that buildup doesn't become an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Scrunched up tin foil and rub it over the inside of the lid & the cook chamber to loosen of grease and flakes and dirt then brush it out. Either burn off and scrape the grates or every once one a while a degreaser and a good scrub. Ash left in for a while can lead to rusting

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I find I need to give it a bit of a clean from time to time as you get a build up of grease etc. around the inside which can go a bit gross over the winter if it's not being used much..

But maybe if it never has significant downtime that buildup doesn't become an issue.

Mine gets way too much use for any build up.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Making pizza on the KJ this weekend. That'll clean it. I'll have to replace the gasket someday and will give it a deeper clean then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Anyone use a fish spatula on the grill? (for everything, not just for fish).
    They come highly recommended.

fdim18390_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

budgemook wrote: »
    Making pizza on the KJ this weekend. That'll clean it. I'll have to replace the gasket someday and will give it a deeper clean then.

How does it turn out on KJ compared to Ooni or other wood fired ovens?

I did a pizza on the kettle before and it was dreadful. Nowhere near hot enough on the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Any views on whether it’s worthwhile to pay the extra €70 or so for the Weber premium over the master touch?

The lid hinge seems to be more of a nice to have and there are downsides to it too it seems.

Also I’m not sure if the deflector is of benefit. I’ve seen a review saying it is limiting in the amount of charcoal you can use and will likely need to lift off grate etc to add mid cook.

I got a master touch premium a couple of weeks ago. I tried pulled pork and there was enough coals under the deflector that’s after I had the pork on for 6 1/2 hours at 200f there was still enough left that I opened the vents and cooked sausages and fish for the dinner. I reckon there was enough coals left that I could have kept it at 200-225 for about 8 hours. It would have been a pain to add more coals after that though.

Does the premium not include the sear plate as well?

Haven’t owned one without the hinge but it is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

heroics wrote: »
    I got a master touch premium a couple of weeks ago. I tried pulled pork and there was enough coals under the deflector that’s after I had the pork on for 6 1/2 hours at 200f there was still enough left that I opened the vents and cooked sausages and fish for the dinner. I reckon there was enough coals left that I could have kept it at 200-225 for about 8 hours. It would have been a pain to add more coals after that though.

Does the premium not include the sear plate as well?

Haven’t owned one without the hinge but it is handy

Yeah the sear plate comes with the premium which I would definitely use.

I can get the master touch for €330 with free cover. Add seat grate and that’s €390 which isn’t bad. The premium is €399

Any trouble with the lid leaking etc?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

How does it turn out on KJ compared to Ooni or other wood fired ovens?

I did a pizza on the kettle before and it was dreadful. Nowhere near hot enough on the stone.

Pizza on my KJ has always turned out fantastic.
    Get it ripping hot, up over 600F, only takes about 5 minutes to cook each pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I can get the master touch for €330 with free cover. Add seat grate and that’s €390 which isn’t bad. The premium is €399

I got the deal in the orchard where the premium was 385 with the free cover.

Did the fix mentioned above and had no problem with lid leaking so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

I didnt bother with the lid leaking fix, put it on best I could. Leaked a bit for a few weeks but its sealed itself up now with smoke/soot residue. Pretty normal for new bbqs to leak smoke. Most seal up after a few weeks use.

Advertisement