Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Until it starts growing BBQ flavoured Penicillin if you don't use it for a few weeks straight :-)

Fire kills it. Grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The Nal wrote: »
    In the oven a turkey that size is 3hrs 30 tops so 4 1/2 to 5 hours maybe at 125F on the Weber. Just have the termometer ready to take it out at 165f. You can rest if for a couple of hours if you like so would defo recommend doing it earlier in the day rather than later.

Where are you going the F ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

So 2.2 Kgs of sirloin to do on the Weber tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thinking of something like this

https://youtu.be/-oSFgJJL8fo

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Did anyone ordered of weber recently? What is theirs ETA at the moment? Website says anywhere between 8/15 work days seems like a overkill

heroics wrote: »
    So 2.2 Kgs of sirloin to do on the Weber tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thinking of something like this

https://youtu.be/-oSFgJJL8fo

2 zone setup. Rub of salt, pepper and mustard powder. Cook indirectly at 180C until and internal temp of 55C. Use 2 small chunks of oak or hickory. Don't go mad on the wood, high heat smoking can make it taste like a bonfire if you do.

Sear it on the outside at the end for a nice crust directly over the coals.

At a guess, total cooking time will be about 2hr20min. But cook by internal temperature.

The method in the video is a bit overly complicated IMO. Sirloin is a beautiful piece of meat, it doesn't need slow cooking like brisket. Sometimes i think youtubers make things more complicated to make themselves look like experts at something that's really simple.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    2 zone setup. Rub of salt, pepper and mustard powder. Cook indirectly at 180C until and internal temp of 55C. Use 2 small chunks of oak or hickory. Don't go mad on the wood, high heat smoking can make it taste like a bonfire if you do.

At a guess, total cooking time will be about 2hr20min. But cook by internal temperature.

The method in the video is a bit overly complicated IMO. Sirloin is a beautiful piece of meat, it doesn't need slow cooking like brisket. Sometimes i think youtubers make things more complicated to make themselves look like experts at something that's really simple.

Cheers. Was going to use the Weber whiskey wood chips to try.

lisij wrote: »
    Did anyone ordered of weber recently? What is theirs ETA at the moment? Website says anywhere between 8/15 work days seems like a overkill

I ordered charcoal and some wood chips on 26th April and arrived yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

I ordered charcoal and some wood chips on 26th April and arrived yesterday

Thanks mate, will hold of from ordering for now

Cheers. Was going to use the Weber whiskey wood chips to try.

You don't have chunks? The chips burn off pretty quick. If you have chips, wrap them in tinfoil with a load of holes poked in it to slow it down.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I've been using the baskets that came with the master premium touch and Weber charcoal briquettes, use about 30 briquettes but the temp is always over 220c have to leave them burning for a while with the vents closed down a good bit to get them to 180-190 is there a trick I'm missing here to get them to 180 starting off the cook? or maybe using less briquettes in the chimney starter and having some unlit ones in the basket instead?

Have a bag of Weber premium lumpwood that I haven't opened yet as was trying to get used to the temp/fuel set up from briquettes first before I move onto the lumpwood

• Advertisement

glic83 wrote: »
    I've been using the baskets that came with the master premium touch and Weber charcoal briquettes, use about 30 briquettes but the temp is always over 220c have to leave them burning for a while with the vents closed down a good bit to get them to 180-190 is there a trick I'm missing here to get them to 180 starting off the cook? or maybe using less briquettes in the chimney starter and having some unlit ones in the basket instead?

Have a bag of Weber premium lumpwood that I haven't opened yet as was trying to get used to the temp/fuel set up from briquettes first before I move onto the lumpwood

2 ways, start with less charcoal and use the vents to choke off the air flow. I would only start with half a chimney starter full of briquettes and the vents almost closed.

I posted this link earlier, should tell you what you need to know:
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/using-vents-control-temperature

I'd also use a grill thermometer rather than relying on the lide one. They aren't accurate for long.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

2 ways, start with less charcoal and use the vents to choke off the air flow. I would only start with half a chimney starter full of briquettes and the vents almost closed.

I posted this link earlier, should tell you what you need to know:
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/using-vents-control-temperature

I'd also use a grill thermometer rather than relying on the lide one. They aren't accurate for long.

Yeah have the inkbird 4xs used it for the first time yesterday and noticed a big difference between the lid thermometer and the inkbird.

What I had been doing was using the chimney starter, 30 briquettes, when they were up to temp put them into the baskets, top and bottom vent full open for around 10-15mins and then clean off the grill ,then close down the top vent to half way and the bottom one half way and wait for it to come down in temp

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Got some nice chunky pork ribs rubbed up and ready to go

How do you guys add fuel to long burns (if required), without smoke filling the chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

People asked about the egg style bbqs.

I absolutely love my one, but keep in mind it's not quick.

If you have 45 mins to fire it up, it's all you'll ever want.

I am spoiled as I got my 24 incher on a 75% off sale and picked it up for $300 when I was in the States. Shipped it back still in the box with other belongings.

How do you guys add fuel to long burns (if required), without smoke filling the chamber?

There are few different ways. The minion method and the snake method being the most popular. Both are basically adding a small amount of lit coals to unlit coals.

I don't understand the question about smoke. Smoke isn't a bad thing.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,231 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I ordered on Wednesday lunchtime and got an email yesterday afternoon to say the order was shipped. A lot quicker than I was expecting.

You don't have chunks? The chips burn off pretty quick. If you have chips, wrap them in tinfoil with a load of holes poked in it to slow it down.

Thanks.
    No chunks left when I ordered from Weber.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 winrowjones

Got these tomahawks from Pallas. Look good

Any recommendations?

Also this monster brisket. I’ll save that one for another day. Certain to make a balls of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Any recommendations?

They look incredible. Made an absolute balls of it last time I tried. Pitmaster X on youtube has some good tips for tomahawk steak

Any recommendations?

Cook them high and fast until medium rare. Eat.

they/them/theirs

Cook them high and fast until medium rare. Eat.

No reverse sear?

No reverse sear?

Sure, why not.

Same comments as on the sirloin question earlier. I don’t like to complicate it with good meat. I cook steaks hot and fast, a good crust and nice and pink. No fancy rubs, no fancy methods.

I think the texture difference isn’t really worth it. Have you ever had a tough ribeye cooked directly on high heat? I haven’t.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ordered on the 30th and still no sign only got my invoice today. So assuming it’s been shipped so another 4 or 5 days I’d say. Order elsewhere if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I placed a order on 05/05 and haven't received a invoice yet. I would say avoid Weber directly at the moment if you can. Also my order was only for hardwood and one touch cleaning system (accessories) so not a big order

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sure, why not.

Same comments as on the sirloin question earlier. I don’t like to complicate it with good meat. I cook steaks hot and fast, a good crust and nice and pink. No fancy rubs, no fancy methods.

I think the texture difference isn’t really worth it. Have you ever had a tough ribeye cooked directly on high heat? I haven’t.

Yeah agree. Let the meat be meat.

That said, I'm not adverse to a light rub of garlic, rosemary, butter and salt for a touch of extra flavour.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah agree. Let the meat be meat.

That said, I'm not adverse to a light rub of garlic, rosemary, butter and salt for a touch of extra flavour.

That sounds pretty good to me.

I am also happy with simply salt and pepper.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thanks mate, will hold of from ordering for now

Lat week I ordered charcoal from woodfuel.ie and it arrived on the following day.
    They have smoking wood chips for sale so you might get them quickly also.
    I've no idea what the wood chips are like though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Brisket 10 hours and lots of beer watching the smoke

[IMG][/img]9.jpg
    image 1 png[IMG][/img]8.jpg
    image 1 png[IMG][/img]7.jpg
    image 1 png

Advertisement