Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Used the amazingribs big bad beef rub. Thermometer on the Weber said 180ish but the meater reckons temp was approx 160 the whole time. After about 2 hours seared it over the coals for bit ( that’s why the temps on the graph are a bit all over the place)and let rest for 25 mins. Thin slices on a bap and it was so good I ate 2. Can barely move now :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Treepole wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of using these:
    https://www.kadai.co.uk/

It doubles as a BBQ / Firepit, with a range of accessories available.
    It looks pretty cool, but my concern would be the lack of a cover would really limit options if you want cook something for a bit longer than just burgers or sausages.

Would be good to hear if anyone has used one?

Have one coming soon , mainly to use as a fire pit, but will be used for some cooking when the kamado Joe/ Weber kettle aren't enough. Love the look of them and think they will be just the job for heat / toasted marshmallows once the food is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was just prepping some beef short ribs and removing the silverskin. Is it of any use at all, perhaps simmer it in water to make a beef stock?

Also in the butchers is it fair to ask for the silverskin to be removed before it is weighed? I ask because two of the short ribs had almost 70% silverskin and when trimmed down they have very little meat on them. Id also prefer the butcher did it, its a pain in the arse.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was just prepping some beef short ribs and removing the silverskin. Is it of any use at all, perhaps simmer it in water to make a beef stock?

Also in the butchers is it fair to ask for the silverskin to be removed before it is weighed? I ask because two of the short ribs had almost 70% silverskin and when trimmed down they have very little meat on them. Id also prefer the butcher did it, its a pain in the arse.

70% silverskin? That's doesn't sound right at all.
    Silverskin is just the membrane on the back side of the ribs, pretty easy to take off with some strong kitchen roll to maintain grub. Can't see a butcher having a problem pulling it off for you either. Don't think there's much alternative cooking use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Guys going to do a beef sirloin roast on the bbq this evening (1.3kg) anyone suggest a marinade for it?

Also going to throw it on at 180 and get the internal temp to around 52 degrees? (Like it medium rare)

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    70% silverskin? That's doesn't sound right at all.
    Silverskin is just the membrane on the back side of the ribs, pretty easy to take off with some strong kitchen roll to maintain grub. Can't see a butcher having a problem pulling it off for you either. Don't think there's much alternative cooking use for it.

sorry not the silverskin, it was fat that was around 70% in a couple of the ribs

sorry not the silverskin, it was fat that was around 70% in a couple of the ribs

Short ribs are fatty by their nature.
    Because they're being cooked low and slow, that fat will render out into the meat.
    Leave it on, fat is flavour...
    Depends on your taste, but for me, a having a bit of fat on the meat when eating smoked short rib is delicious too.

Capture the melted fat in a drip pan and use to baste roast potatoes or make Yorkshire puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Took delivery of the weber master touch premium on Friday having ordered directly from weber on April 12. They were a disaster to deal with and seem completely over extended so I'd stay clear of them from now on.

Put if together on Fri night (the Bilt app is very useful) but the hinge is tricky and will need to look at that again. Fired it up yesterday with a few t bones to christen it! a few locals turned up to see what was going on/pay their respects ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

tonc76 wrote: »
    Took delivery of the weber master touch premium on Friday having ordered directly from weber on April 12. They were a disaster to deal with and seem completely over extended so I'd stay clear of them from now on.

Put if together on Fri night (the Bilt app is very useful) but the hinge is tricky and will need to look at that again. Fired it up yesterday with a few t bones to christen it! a few locals turned up to see what was going on/pay their respects ;)
    I hope you didn't tell them you just cooked their cousin.

fitz wrote: »
    Short ribs are fatty by their nature.
    Because they're being cooked low and slow, that fat will render out into the meat.
    Leave it on, fat is flavour...
    Depends on your taste, but for me, a having a bit of fat on the meat when eating smoked short rib is delicious too.

Capture the melted fat in a drip pan and use to baste roast potatoes or make Yorkshire puddings.

Ok the fat is off now anyway. I was going by the method for beef short ribs on Amazing Ribs which said to remove it as it wont melt. On two of the ribs it was mainly fat and very little meat.
    1) Prep. Begin by removing the fat and the very tough silverskin from the top of the meat. All of it. It will not melt and penetrate. No need to remove the membrane from the exposed side of the bones as you do with pork ribs
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-texas-style-bbq-beef-ribs-recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Guys going to do a beef sirloin roast on the bbq this evening (1.3kg) anyone suggest a marinade for it?

Also going to throw it on at 180 and get the internal temp to around 52 degrees? (Like it medium rare)

I did a 2.5kg sirloin roast yesterday and did a dry rub (. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe ) cooked at 180 (on the Weber lid thermometer) Indirect for about 2 hours then about another 15 mins over coals to char it a bit. Internal was 55 when I took it off to rest and it got to 59int when I cut it.

Had it again for lunch today and it was really tender on a roll with some bbq sauce.

Ok the fat is off now anyway. I was going by the method for beef short ribs on Amazing Ribs which said to remove it as it wont melt. On two of the ribs it was mainly fat and very little meat.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-texas-style-bbq-beef-ribs-recipe

It doesn't melt away, but I think that saying it doesn't melt is a bit misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Try trim as much fat off the top of the beef rib as possible so you can form a bark. If you cook them properly the fat inside will render down and the meat will be juicy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mark1916 wrote: »

You don't need to marinade it. Just dry rub it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14 winrowjones

Got distracted during the sear was probably too hot. Also took the bone off one before cooking for the dog

Wanted it cooked less. The boneless one was a good bit over. Live and learn and next time don’t leave during sear!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 winrowjones

Pictures. Didn’t attach them before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah agree. Let the meat be meat.

That said, I'm not adverse to a light rub of garlic, rosemary, butter and salt for a touch of extra flavour.

I like a good amount of seasoning. Not an amount that will overpower the meat, but if I'm doing a good steak I'd regard it as wasted if i don't season it properly. I know some people won't season it at all and if that's their preference they're right to do it that way, but for me some salt and pepper will make the meat taste better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Made some pizza at the weekend - this one had mozzarella, tomato, basil and n'duja. Was very good.

jWaQ7qVl.jpg

I was looking at some videos on YouTube afterwards and I saw people saying that I should be stretching the dough by hand and not using a rolling pin. Next weekends experiment I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

budgemook wrote: »
    I haven't tried anything else but the last two times I did pizza it was great - getting it hit enough was not an issue. The first time I did it I used a pizza stone meant for an oven and it broke in half. The second time I used a granite stepping stone that I bought from woodies and it worked great. I just had to knock the corners off the granite for it to fit into the bbq. I did a bit of a messy job on it actually and might just get another one so it looks a but tidier.

I read somewhere (maybe it was this forum, I can't remember) that you need to be careful about the type of stone/bricks you're using for cooking. Some types can explode.

I can't remember if it applied to concrete only or if granite was included. Anyway - thought I might mention it just in case.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I read somewhere (maybe it was this forum, I can't remember) that you need to be careful about the type of stone/bricks you're using for cooking. Some types can explode.

I can't remember if it applied to concrete only or if granite was included. Anyway - thought I might mention it just in case.

Concrete can have pockets of moisture that explode

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Fired up the Weber mastertouch at the weekend for the first time. Here are my thoughts.....

Very easy to put together, including the hack for the lid. I'm terrible at this sort of thing, but had it fully assembled in like 25 minutes.

So, got out the chimney, loaded in some lump about 2/3rds, sparky stuff, but after 15 minutes, lump was white in the bottom half. Split the lump into the charcoal baskets and we're off. Pushed baskets both to one side to create two zones.

Lid down, vents open fully, temp spikes to (lets talk F here) 550/600.
    Had two nice cowboy steaks of about 800g each (proper thick- the 30% off from Supervalu ones).

Seasoned heavily (S/P) and a little garlic oil and we're ready to go. Hard sear to start, probably should have waited a little longer (for the lump) because there was some flameage, but got a really nice colour on them after about 2/3 minutes each side. Temp probe in (cheap dual probe bluetooth inkbird from amazon) and its 81 degrees. Not sure how you would cook steaks this thick solely on direct heat. So lid down, moved to indirect side and watch and wait. Took about 25 minutes to get the internal temp up to 132 and off they came. 7 minute rest, sliced, chucked on probably too much maldron and voila!

Steaks were unbelievably good. The nature of Ribeye like this is that you have that high fat content (as in big globs in the steak) but it flavours the meat so much, it's necessary. The char/bark (whatever you call it) was truly immense.

I monitored the temp afterward and it went down fairly quickly even after closing the vents pretty much all the way - think I would have to invest in decent briquettes to look at low/slow cooking.

Onward and upward, next up is a pork shoulder.

41pjn3a

blue note wrote: »
    I like a good amount of seasoning. Not an amount that will overpower the meat, but if I'm doing a good steak I'd regard it as wasted if i don't season it properly. I know some people won't season it at all and if that's their preference they're right to do it that way, but for me some salt and pepper will make the meat taste better too.

Seasoning is absolutely necessary. If you mean seasoning in the strict sense: adding salt and pepper. I notice more and more people using "seasoning" when they actually mean flavouring with herbs and spices.

I heavily season my steaks. But I don't use anything else.

they/them/theirs

Yeah it came up here the other day and I think a while back too. I have granite anyway which should be fine. I made a balls of cutting the corners off of it but it does the job all the same.

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah it came up here the other day and I think a while back too. I have granite anyway which should be fine. I made a balls of cutting the corners off of it but it does the job all the same.

You've got me thinking - I'm sure I saw some old cut offs of granite slabs on the building site beside me. I might ask the foreman if I can take one.

Anyone used the big green egg organic charcoal. Is it any use? And is it ridiculously overpriced?

https://thegardenhouse.ie/product/shop/bbqs-at-the-garden-house/premium-100-organic-lump-charcoal/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I've heard it all now.

Organic wood. :rolleyes:

Anyone used the big green egg organic charcoal. Is it any use? And is it ridiculously overpriced?

https://thegardenhouse.ie/product/shop/bbqs-at-the-garden-house/premium-100-organic-lump-charcoal/

Marketing ****e & at 35 quid there goes a decent bag of Weber coals & a good bottle of wine out the window

afatbollix wrote: »
    I've heard it all now.

I'm waiting for recycled charcoal to come along

afatbollix wrote: »
    I've heard it all now.

neris wrote: »
    I'm waiting for recycled charcoal to come along

Note to self: think before you post.

• Advertisement

You've got me thinking - I'm sure I saw some old cut offs of granite slabs on the building site beside me. I might ask the foreman if I can take one.

If that doesn't work out - https://www.woodies.ie/shelbourne-black-granite-flag-400x400x40-1165284

Be careful if you're going to Woodies though. Someone might take a photo of you queueing to get in and post their outrage about it on social media.

Advertisement