Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The Bible coming out again. Hope to invest in a charcoal next year for longer cooks, but still great recipes and tips in this

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Got a new master touch last week. New to all this. Done a direct heat quick cook up yesterday with Weber Lumpwood and all went great. Now gearing up for a longer cook. I’ve only got 2kg of Weber briquettes that came with my chimney so I’m wondering should I stick to buying this brand of briquettes or should I go for a cheaper alternative? If so, what are the alternatives available and where is the best place to pick them up? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Got a new master touch last week. New to all this. Done a direct heat quick cook up yesterday with Weber Lumpwood and all went great. Now gearing up for a longer cook. I’ve only got 2kg of Weber briquettes that came with my chimney so I’m wondering should I stick to buying this brand of briquettes or should I go for a cheaper alternative? If so, what are the alternatives available and where is the best place to pick them up? Thanks!

There’s a good bit of discussion back the last few pages on options and where to purchase. Posters seem fairly clued in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I recently saw a good post on AmazingRibs about how to get to know your grill. There he said to buy one brand of charcoal and stick to it while doing various tests so see how much fuel you need and where to set your vents for certain temperatures. He's also makes the comment that for beginners, briquettes are more constant/consistent than lump. So it's probably worth starting with a good briquette.

Woodfuel.ie is a trusted supplier of charcoal. I called out to him myself a year or two ago and bought a few big bags of lump wood. He also sells Nam-char briquettes, smoking chips and a "long burn briquette" but I don't know the brand. I don't know how Nam-char compares to Weber though but it's cheaper. Quite a lot of people on other forums mention Weber as being good briquette charcoal and "100% natural". I got some in Woodies yesterday. Heat Beads I've seen mentioned on other forums and my local firewood supplier has it. I've never tried it though and slightly more expensive than Weber.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SachaJ wrote: »
    I recently saw a good post on AmazingRibs about how to get to know your grill. There he said to buy one brand of charcoal and stick to it while doing various tests so see how much fuel you need and where to set your vents for certain temperatures. He's also makes the comment that for beginners, briquettes are more constant/consistent than lump. So it's probably worth starting with a good briquette.

Woodfuel.ie is a trusted supplier of charcoal. I called out to him myself a year or two ago and bought a few big bags of lump wood. He also sells Nam-char briquettes, smoking chips and a "long burn briquette" but I don't know the brand. I don't know how Nam-char compares to Weber though but it's cheaper. Quite a lot of people on other forums mention Weber as being good briquette charcoal and "100% natural". I got some in Woodies yesterday. Heat Beads I've seen mentioned on other forums and my local firewood supplier has it. I've never tried it though and slightly more expensive than Weber.

Good shout on the amazing ribs article. It’s exactly what I recommend to people.

The whole lumpwood v briquettes debate is a bit over done. But for a beginner doing long cooks on a Weber kettle, the best option is Weber briquettes. I know this from trial and error.

For the namchar: I got namchar lumpwood from woodfuels a few years ago. It’s unreal for high heat cooking, not at all suitable for long cooks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Almost bought this little fecker but decided to wait and see if Aldi do one again

331185_59.jpg

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/bbq-essentials/grillchef-mini-kamado-ceramic-charcoal-barbecue/p31935

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Lads. I’ve got a Weber Mastertouch. I have only used it for quick cooks as I’ve young kids and I don’t think theyd appreciate Low and slow. However I might try a few things now like pulled pork.

Just wondering if you would recommend some butchers in Dublin (south)? I’d like to get some thick ribeyes (I think Aldi do the best supermarket ones but they are ‘only‘ 8oz), maybe a tomahawk steak, ribs, pork shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

RasTa wrote: »
    Almost bought this little fecker but decided to wait and see if Aldi do one again

331185_59.jpg

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/bbq-essentials/grillchef-mini-kamado-ceramic-charcoal-barbecue/p31935

Haven't seen this in the Irish Aldi or Lidl?

Can imagine they'd be crowds from this thread at the door from the night before! Ha (I'd be there...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah tis UK only, unsold ones might make their way over or up north maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah tis UK only, unsold ones might make their way over or up north maybe

I see they're double the price on ebay!

Always someone there to take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Brian? wrote: »
    Good shout on the amazing ribs article. It’s exactly what I recommend to people.

The whole lumpwood v briquettes debate is a bit over done. But for a beginner doing long cooks on a Weber kettle, the best option is Weber briquettes. I know this from trial and error.

For the namchar: I got namchar lumpwood from woodfuels a few years ago. It’s unreal for high heat cooking, not at all suitable for long cooks.

Coming to the end of a very long cool pork neck with namchar briquettes got from woodfuel a couple of weeks ago.
    Temp was a bit low during the night but that was my fault for having 3 lumps in the snake not 4
    Lasting very well. You'd get 12 hours with out adding anything

It's running out of steam now. Pork is at 94c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Lads. I’ve got a Weber Mastertouch. I have only used it for quick cooks as I’ve young kids and I don’t think theyd appreciate Low and slow. However I might try a few things now like pulled pork.

Just wondering if you would recommend some butchers in Dublin (south)? I’d like to get some thick ribeyes (I think Aldi do the best supermarket ones but they are ‘only‘ 8oz), maybe a tomahawk steak, ribs, pork shoulder.

Any butcher will cut you whatever thickness you want and never assume what's presented is all they have. I always get my butcher to cut steaks in front of me to the thickness I want as the precut are always too thin for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

deckie27 wrote: »
    Coming to the end of a very long cool pork neck with namchar briquettes got from woodfuel a couple of weeks ago.
    Temp was a bit low during the night but that was my fault for having 3 lumps in the snake not 4

Interesting as they are half the price of the Weber briquettes I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14 winrowjones

First proper attempt at brisket today. Cook was a bit quicker than amazingribs and still getting used to controlling the temp

Could be moister, but delicious all the same

SachaJ wrote: »
    Interesting as they are half the price of the Weber briquettes I think

Yip

I generally use lumpwood but I never did low and slow until a couple of weeks ago.
    This is why I bought the namchar briquettes. I had them before and they are very pure
    I found the namchar lump wood very small and could be a pain

The likes of Aldi briquettes would cut the eyes out of until there properly lit.

PS. I never used Weber charcoal so I can not make a comparison

That's briquettes, I said Namchar lumpwood.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    That's briquettes, I said Namchar lumpwood.

Apologies. Quoted the wrong post

Apologies. Quoted the wrong post

No worries.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have always found the Village Butcher in Ranelagh excellent, have specified burger mixes there and he had no problems making it up to the spec I wanted. He also ages his own beef in the shop so there is some fine cuts there. They'll take your order via email and then you can just pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have always found the Village Butcher in Ranelagh excellent

Really good yeah. Also FXBs in Nutgrove and Wilsons in Rathfarnham, James Whelans in the Swan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chicken and Turkey kebabs

20200524-192328.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The Nal wrote: »
    Really good yeah. Also FXBs in Nutgrove and Wilsons in Rathfarnham, James Whelans in the Swan.

Any recommendations for Northside?

Zak Flaps wrote: »

Omahony meats in coolock (malahide rd industrial estate) or Higgins in Sutton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

neris wrote: »
    Omahony meats in coolock (malahide rd industrial estate) or Higgins in Sutton

Great. Thank a million.
    I've also just seen Brady's in Fairview and Kerrigans in Malahide recommended online.

Kerrigans tend to be pre pack type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Thanks for the advice here. Think I'll try the Weber Briquettes to begin with at least. Checked the prices online and Weber website seems to be the best priced with 3x8kg bags for 52 delivered. However delivery is slow so gonna pop by my local hardware instead.

Waiting on a temp probe before I start my a slow cook. Bought an Inkbird 2 probe.

Was considering trying some pulled pork to begin with. Out of curiosity, my butcher said he has pork shoulder regularly, been told today by someone that pork shoulder and pork butt are two different cuts but close to each other? Is this true? I'm half afraid to ask my butcher in fear of sounding like a complete tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Thanks for the advice here. Think I'll try the Weber Briquettes to begin with at least. Checked the prices online and Weber website seems to be the best priced with 3x8kg bags for 52 delivered. However delivery is slow so gonna pop by my local hardware instead.

Waiting on a temp probe before I start my a slow cook. Bought an Inkbird 2 probe.

Was considering trying some pulled pork to begin with. Out of curiosity, my butcher said he has pork shoulder regularly, been told today by someone that pork shoulder and pork butt are two different cuts but close to each other? Is this true? I'm half afraid to ask my butcher in fear of sounding like a complete tool.

You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between shoulder and butt

Have a look here
    https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/product-category/pork/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the butt is not where you think it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Zak Flaps wrote: »

For my money (and they take enough of my money) Higgins in sutton is the best butchers I have ever set foot in for beef. Phenomenal steaks and great great customer service - guys very passionate about their craft.
    It is not cheap though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

someone was asking about the kadai fire bowls. got it on friday and gave it a first run yesterday. did a big lump of striploin on the kamado joe (with some smoked spuds) and did some BBQ beans and wrapped spuds on the kadai. have to say was hugely impressed, cooked everything beautifuly, and once done we stripped off the cooking gear and sat in front of the toasty firepit till late in the evening, gave off super heat.

aD4EDHSl.jpg

LHSPZJ0l.jpg

Lg6FdgCl.jpg

whoever was considering it, i highly recommend it

Advertisement