Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

mossym wrote: »
    someone was asking about the kadai fire bowls. got it on friday and gave it a first run yesterday. did a big lump of striploin on the kamado joe (with some smoked spuds) and did some BBQ beans and wrapped spuds on the kadai. have to say was hugely impressed, cooked everything beautifuly, and once done we stripped off the cooking gear and sat in front of the toasty firepit till late in the evening, gave off super heat.
    whoever was considering it, i highly recommend it

That was me. Looks good.
    A few questions:
    What size did you go for?
    Did you just pour the beans into the swinging bowl? Can you just drop it lower to the heat?
    Did it take a lot of fuel to keep up the heat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that's the middle size. 70cm. i wouldn't go smaller

the beans is a recipe i use, fry up some onions, add garlic, chilli, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, worchestire sauce, passata, kidney beans. was all done in the pot, frying the onions the toughest bit, hit was a little low for that, but once eerything in it cooked away beautifully. going to try some indian dishes in it next .

the pic shows it at it's lowest, you could raise it more ( might be useful for when the food cooked.

i cooked over a mix of briquettes/lumpwood with some dried firewood added after a while and then switched to pure firewood for burning later. if you don't want a lot of smoke you want dry wood, and dry wood burns quickly. you'll go through wood fast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

neris wrote: »
    Chicken and Turkey kebabs

Nice skewers!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 47.
    What thermometer should I get for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Meater in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was reverse searing a steak tonight and trying to use the vents on the Weber kettle to control the temps, wanted to get to 130c or so. Used briquettes from Aldi as its all I can get atm. Just filled the chimney half way and when ashed set up the two zones. Had the intake half open and exhaust the same and poked a probe in after 10 mins and it was 190c, the probe wasnt even a wire one so that temp was just about four or five inches below the lid, it was likely even hotter at grate level. Closed vents to just 25% open and tested again after a few mins and it was still knocking 190 then closed them up even further to only very slightly open but it only lowered to 180c.

So wondering about other variables I might be missing to get it down to 130ish. I couldnt close the vents any further so perhaps only use a quarter chimney of briquettes? Or might a water pan help to reduce temps or does that only increase humidity? Its a weird one as its not a low and slow cook, I just wanted to maintain 130 for about 30-35 minutes until the steak got to 55c internal and then sear it on the direct zone. So the snake/minion method not really useful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

the beans is a recipe i use, fry up some onions, add garlic, chilli, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, worchestire sauce, passata, kidney beans. was all done in the pot, frying the onions the toughest bit, hit was a little low for that, but once eerything in it cooked away beautifully. going to try some indian dishes in it next .

the pic shows it at it's lowest, you could raise it more ( might be useful for when the food cooked.

i cooked over a mix of briquettes/lumpwood with some dried firewood added after a while and then switched to pure firewood for burning later. if you don't want a lot of smoke you want dry wood, and dry wood burns quickly. you'll go through wood fast.

Kadai looks great. Where did you order it from and how much was it?

Clonmel garden centre. Cracking service from them .

Only 2 stockists in Ireland I think

All the pricing is on the webpage. You add all the bits you want

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Great info thanks.
    Did you get the high and low stands or just the low stand?

Treepole wrote: »
    Great info thanks.
    Did you get the high and low stands or just the low stand?

The set I bought had both. I think the low is more useful. Unless you are going to cook an awful lot on it. I had no issues cooking on the low though.

I'll use the high one as well though.be cool for parties It's like fondue for giants:)

The low is certainly the right one as a fire pit though which was my main reason for getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

Hey,

Does someone know where to buy a Vortex (or equivalent) for a weber kettle here in Ireland? Or is it not a good idea?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was reverse searing a steak tonight and trying to use the vents on the Weber kettle to control the temps, wanted to get to 130c or so. Used briquettes from Aldi as its all I can get atm. Just filled the chimney half way and when ashed set up the two zones. Had the intake half open and exhaust the same and poked a probe in after 10 mins and it was 190c, the probe wasnt even a wire one so that temp was just about four or five inches below the lid, it was likely even hotter at grate level. Closed vents to just 25% open and tested again after a few mins and it was still knocking 190 then closed them up even further to only very slightly open but it only lowered to 180c.

So wondering about other variables I might be missing to get it down to 130ish. I couldnt close the vents any further so perhaps only use a quarter chimney of briquettes? Or might a water pan help to reduce temps or does that only increase humidity? Its a weird one as its not a low and slow cook, I just wanted to maintain 130 for about 30-35 minutes until the steak got to 55c internal and then sear it on the direct zone. So the snake/minion method not really useful here.

I struggle to get the temps down if they start off high (too many hot coals?)

Might be better to get it to the correct temperature with the vents rather than overshooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I'm only begging at this myself
    The temperature can take a little while to settle also every time you open the lid it adds more oxygen so temps will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

The water pan I think just helps give a better consistency to your heat temp over a long period as well as adding steam into the mix. I couldn't see a water pan being used to lower temps unless it the water went in to the pan cold. It can be tricky getting that exact temp and from the sounds of it your going to have to experiment with fuel quantity. The other thing is without a sensor right at the steak grill its hard to know exactly what temp is going on there. I find it normally takes about 20 mins or so for the BBQ to get to the temp I want .The other thing is just leave the steak until the very last until the briquettes have naturally burned off and are giving off less heat ?
    I have started using a charcoal from supervalu, its a tenner a bag and its organic might be worth a look if you have a supervalu close by.

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I have started using a charcoal from supervalu, its a tenner a bag and its organic might be worth a look if you have a supervalu close by.

Organic charcoal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Organic charcoal :D

On Facebook I have been getting ads from ecofuel.ie about for the same brand of charcoal (14.50 though). They are getting the piss taken out of them for the organic marketing shtick. They've replied just saying it's all natural, no chemicals yada yada yada.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Organic wood that you chop down, to burn, to cook dead animals. :D

I hope they know that smoke contains lots of chemicals!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

bshaftoe wrote: »
    Hey,

Does someone know where to buy a Vortex (or equivalent) for a weber kettle here in Ireland? Or is it not a good idea?

Vortex from Amazon is your best bet. Great little yoke to have

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

neris wrote: »
    Vortex from Amazon is your best bet. Great little yoke to have

I cut the arse out of a dog bowl. Cost me 2 euro. Won't last as long as a real vortex, but it'll definitely outlast 20 vortex's

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Brian? wrote: »
    I cut the arse out of a dog bowl. Cost me 2 euro. Won't last as long as a real vortex, but it'll definitely outlast 20 vortex's

What did you use to cut the dog bowl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It reminds me of my stainless strainer.

Dealz have dog bowls for €1,
    https://www.dealz.ie/369107-stainless-steel-dog-bowl/

probably really thin metal so easy to cut.
    LHSPZJ0l.jpg
    This instantly sprung to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

vasch_ro wrote: »
    The water pan I think just helps give a better consistency to your heat temp over a long period as well as adding steam into the mix. I couldn't see a water pan being used to lower temps unless it the water went in to the pan cold. It can be tricky getting that exact temp and from the sounds of it your going to have to experiment with fuel quantity. The other thing is without a sensor right at the steak grill its hard to know exactly what temp is going on there. I find it normally takes about 20 mins or so for the BBQ to get to the temp I want .The other thing is just leave the steak until the very last until the briquettes have naturally burned off and are giving off less heat ?

cheers, yeah I think I need to experiment using less charcoal, I had thought that half a chimney would be little enough but obviously have to go a bit less than that. Last night even after about 30 mins burning and both vents almost shut it was still knocking 180c

I actually bought a 2 probe Inkbird and was intending using it yesterday for the first time but it arrived without batteries. When I get them at least then I can know exactly what the temps are at grate level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thejaguar wrote: »
    What did you use to cut the dog bowl?

Drilled a few holes and used a jigsaw with a blade for cutting metal. 5 minutes work.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

rubadub wrote: »

This instantly sprung to mind!

funnily enough i was looking for my old metal coffee pot to use it with it at the weekend. not sure i can fit a horsehoe in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

The weber mastertouch premium came with a diffuser plate and charcoal ring.

Anyone been using these with any success? Any tips on using these for longer cooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

ronoc wrote: »
    I struggle to get the temps down if they start off high (too many hot coals?)

Might be better to get it to the correct temperature with the vents rather than overshooting?

Same here, sometimes you just have to start removing hot coals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Same here, sometimes you just have to start removing hot coals.

Watched one YouTuber yesterday where had to wait 19hours for his Komodo Kamado to cool down to 200F. What a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Fajita's, chicken or steak, are fast becoming my favourite mid-week / quick food to cook on the BBQ. I never really thought of it before and just did them on the frying pan but cooking the meat over coals and the veg on a hot cast iron plate brings them to a new level.

XYJVPHQl.jpg

Burgers and sausages will have to move over for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

budgemook wrote: »
    Fajita's, chicken or steak, are fast becoming my favourite mid-week / quick food to cook on the BBQ. I never really thought of it before and just did them on the frying pan but cooking the meat over coals and the veg on a hot cast iron plate brings them to a new level.

XYJVPHQl.jpg

Burgers and sausages will have to move over for a while.

Is that Halloumi as well, that's a favorite in our family its great on the grill and crisps up beautifully. Great for the vegetarians :mad:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

The weber mastertouch premium came with a diffuser plate and charcoal ring.

Anyone been using these with any success? Any tips on using these for longer cooks?

I used it for pulled pork. Filled the ring with Weber briquets and threw 3 of the Lidl firelighters in the middle. Once there was a ring of coals with ash I put the diffuser plate on closed the lid and set the vents. Think I had the bottom one at the smoke setting and the top vent about 1/2 open.

Kept temps at about 200f for 6 1/2 hours. Then I took the diffuser plate off I reckon could have kept going for about another 2 hours with the charcoal that was left.

I moved it all into the middle opened the vents and cooked a burger some sausages and a couple Of salmon pieces with the coals that were left

Advertisement