Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

The weber mastertouch premium came with a diffuser plate and charcoal ring.

Anyone been using these with any success? Any tips on using these for longer cooks?

Yeah, I've had my mastertouch for more than a year now - I have had good success using the diffuser plate and the ring - I regularly make pulled pork and have also done a brisket. It works pretty well, I've often found myself with plenty of coals at the end of a long cook.

I don't think I have any specific tips to share - I just follow the instructions in the manual really. It takes age for the temp on the lid to get up to speed so I tend to ignore it for the first few hours - otherwise bottom vent set to the 'smoking' symbol (slightly open) and control temp with top vent. Tray of water on top of the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Is that Halloumi as well, that's a favorite in our family its great on the grill and crisps up beautifully. Great for the vegetarians :mad:

yeah I nearly always throw on some halloumi when the bbq is lit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

budgemook wrote: »
    yeah I nearly always throw on some halloumi when the bbq is lit :)

I can also recommend a baked camembert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Suckler wrote: »
    I can also recommend a baked camembert.

Interesting - you put it in a dish I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Anyone use a Tip Top Temp, how did you find it?

Pretty cheap realtive to other temperature controllers so thinking of getting one.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Anyone use a Tip Top Temp, how did you find it?

Pretty cheap realtive to other temperature controllers so thinking of getting one.

MM

As with most of these BBQ accessories, Weber branded charcoal and the like, it looks expensive and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The Nal wrote: »
    As with most of these BBQ accessories, Weber branded charcoal and the like, it looks expensive and unnecessary.

I agree most of these accessories and mods are unnecessary, but make life easier, I've just picked up the Cajun bandit door and firedial for my wsm 47cm.
    Firedial gets rid of water pan, if your ever had an accident with grease and water pan these are the way to go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

heroics wrote: »
    I used it for pulled pork. Filled the ring with Weber briquets and threw 3 of the Lidl firelighters in the middle. Once there was a ring of coals with ash I put the diffuser plate on closed the lid and set the vents. Think I had the bottom one at the smoke setting and the top vent about 1/2 open.

Kept temps at about 200f for 6 1/2 hours. Then I took the diffuser plate off I reckon could have kept going for about another 2 hours with the charcoal that was left.

I moved it all into the middle opened the vents and cooked a burger some sausages and a couple Of salmon pieces with the coals that were left

Thats great, I'll set it up tomorrow for a first long cook.....might use the chimney to get the coals up to speed and then add to the ring. Might even chuck in a couple of chunks of hickory. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Is there an accessory that attaches to the front leg of the mastertouch that would catch the drippings from the tools that hang on the handle ?

I put a sheet of board under the leg at the moment to stop grease stains.

A 150mm oval shaped clip on bowl would be more than adequate, might see it i can rig something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Is anywhere still selling the Weber 5775 kettle rather than the 5770? For the sake of €20 the sear grate might be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

oleras wrote: »
    Is there an accessory that attaches to the front leg of the mastertouch that would catch the drippings from the tools that hang on the handle ?

I put a sheet of board under the leg at the moment to stop grease stains.

A 150mm oval shaped clip on bowl would be more than adequate, might see it i can rig something up.

How much grease is on your tools????? This not a problem for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    How much grease is on your tools????? This not a problem for me.

Enough to drip, doesn't take much, and on cobblelock, can be a pain to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Just done a full roast chicken on my master touch. Turned out perfect but has some issues with temperature control at the beginning. It kept getting too hot on my and then when I shut it off it dropped too much. Ultimately I seemed to find the right vent settings, had the top open and the bottom about three quarters shut. It levelled out at 375 and kept it in there for 1hr 15m. I think I may have used too much briquettes, half a chimney might have been enough.

Chicken was delicious but need to work on the seasonings a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bought a weber chimney starter, all I'm wondering is why didn't I years ago. Absolutely effortless and perfectly glowing coals.

rob316 wrote: »
    Bought a weber chimney starter, all I'm wondering is why didn't I years ago. Absolutely effortless and perfectly glowing coals.

Takes some hassle out of it to be fair. Have only used it three times but works brilliantly.

Takes some hassle out of it to be fair. Have only used it three times but works brilliantly.

Light couple fire lighters, put chimney on it dump in the coal, come back in 15 mins.

Light couple fire lighters, put chimney on it dump in the coal, come back in 15 mins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Did a "seasoning fire' last night.
    Can I do a Spatchcock chicken along with a couple of sheets of baby back ribs? Think not because the chicken should be done hot to crisp up skin and ribs at a lower temp, low n slow.
    Steer me here please.
    Cheers.

Planet X wrote: »
    Did a "seasoning fire' last night.
    Can I do a Spatchcock chicken along with a couple of sheets of baby back ribs? Think not because the chicken should be done hot to crisp up skin and ribs at a lower temp, low n slow.
    Steer me here please.
    Cheers.

The chicken will be cooked way quicker than the ribs. Start the ribs first, when you're getting towards the end of the cook put on the chicken. When the ribs are done you'll want ramp up the heat of your grill to sauce the ribs. You can grill the chicken skin then.

they/them/theirs

oleras wrote: »
    Enough to drip, doesn't take much, and on cobblelock, can be a pain to shift.

Tap the thongs on the grill a couple of times after moving the meat. I have never had this problem. What are you cooking?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

So, about 2 hrs for ribs, out, sauce, tinfoil, back on.
    Up heat and chicken on?

So, about 2 hrs for ribs, out, sauce, tinfoil, back on.
    Up heat and chicken on?

You only sauce the ribs at the very end. For about 10 minutes or so.

Use this method

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/spareribs-3-2-1-method/

Put the chicken on once the ribs are wrapped. Slow cook it until you ramp the hear up at the end.

they/them/theirs

.......or is it wrong or, more difficult, to smoke two different types of meat?
    Should I just stick to ribs only or chicken only?

Would seem simpler.

.......or is it wrong or, more difficult, to smoke two different types of meat?
    Should I just stick to ribs only or chicken only?

Would seem simpler.

You're probably better off doing one for now.

If you choose chicken, go easy on the smoke. One small lump of wood is enough.

they/them/theirs

I'm thinking I might go for a 575X Master Touch over the 577X series. Seems a bit daft to have the top vent above the hinge so it will always be at the back. I can't seem to find a difference online between the 5755 and 5750. Are there any?

I'm also not sure what the shops here have. Some shops are listing the slate/blue as a 5755 but the Weber site has those only as a 5750.

SachaJ wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might go for a 575X Master Touch over the 577X series. Seems a bit daft to have the top vent above the hinge so it will always be at the back. I can't seem to find a difference online between the 5755 and 5750. Are there any?

I'm also not sure what the shops here have. Some shops are listing the slate/blue as a 5755 but the Weber site has those only as a 5750.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it's daft to always have the vent at the back?

they/them/theirs

Tap the thongs on the grill a couple of times after moving the meat. I have never had this problem. What are you cooking?

Only really happens when i do potatoes in a cast iron pan.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it's daft to always have the vent at the back?

I sounded a bit general there but more specifically for my use case. Using my old cheapo kettle I've been cooking 2 zone with the coals farthest away from me and the upper vent closest to me (habit perhaps). If I was to keep having the vent and coals opposite each other, I'd need to have the coals closest to me since the vent is fixed and reach over the coals to access cooking area. I could just take the lid off the hinge and turn 180 degrees but then there's no top handle to lift the lid or perhaps cook sideways to the kettle.

Also I'm considering building a table to put the kettle on which could be close to a wall. I'd prefer not have to reach around to the vent considering I have a digital thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I put the coals on the left, meat on the right. I wasn't aware that I did things that way until herself pointed it out to me.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a low and slow pork shoulder cook?

From what I'm reading, Snake method at 225. How many coals should make up the snake? 2 in a row all around?

Also, I'm going to cook this for family at the weekend along with burgers etc. Do you just reheat when the time suits? Or is that a crime?

Sorry, very new to this.

Advertisement