Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

simonw wrote: »
    Are there any supermarket cuts of meat that would be good for low and slow cooking? I don't think I'll be near a proper butchers but I'd like to try doing my first smoke over the long weekend

Not sure where you are but any butchers near you that do home deliveries that you could get cuts from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Chicken, whole or thighs, ham, babyback ribs, pork belly ribs, duck, corn on the cob, asparagus, salmon, garlic, passata for BBQ sauce, tomatoes, aubergine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

neris wrote: »
    The meathead book I linked up above is the guy who runs/set up amazingribs.com and most of the spices you can get easily here

Oh, apols, didn't realise. How often do you find yourself referring to it?
    It's £37 and I threw out all my cook books just this week as they had cobwebs on them and I had no idea why I would use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

MaceFace wrote: »
    It's £37 and I threw out all my cook books just this week as they had cobwebs on them and I had no idea why I would use them again.

Use it a bit. Ive other bbq books by well known bbq guys that i barely touch. there's few sauces I make regularly that go down well but can never remember the recipes and there's good rubs in it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

At €37 it would want to cook the full meal for you !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I just got briquettes in aldi. Wish me luck! Has anyone used these for low and slow?

Yep. They're not good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I just bought a rack of ribs. I’ve a Weber mastertouch. Thought I’d some briquettes but don’t. Homebase don’t have them. In dublin. Any ideas where to get some. Weber preferably

Nolan’s hardware in Clontarf have all the Weber kit and fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

What’s your go to recipe for BBQ sauce? For ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

If you have something that reads epubs, that book is 'available' online for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What’s your go to recipe for BBQ sauce? For ribs.

I make batches of bbq sauce. Because of the sugar, it keeps for ages in the fridge.

Half a squeezy bottle of ketchup.
    Three tbsp Soft Dark Brown Sugar
    I tbsp treacle
    I tbsp mustard powder
    2 tbsp wine vinegar red/white or cider
    I tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

Warm in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.

Brush onto already slow-cooked ribs in a hot oven/bbq. Repeat every 10 minutes for an hour until you have a dark sticky crust on the ribs.

Drool! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Look at getting a book of bbq recipes on amazon.

Are all the Weber books much the same? Hard to tell which one to get. I’ve seen some people giving out in the reviews about some of the books being near identical

I got the Hang Fire Cook Book from Amazon. Looks decent on first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I just assembled my Master Touch but doesn't seem that I can fully close the bottom P vents. With the vent handle all the way to the left, the right side of the P is still open 3-5mm. Seems I can't every shut the vents fully.

Is everyone's like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Doing ribs for first time today, it'll be my first time doing a longer cook.
    I know there's loads of ways to do them but was going to follow Weber's recipe which is cut the rack up and place them sideways on a foil tray with a bit of a rub and 500ml of stock and then cover them and indirect for 1 hour then turn the ribs over and cover again for another hour and then last 10 mins coat in sauce and finish on direct heat.
    Anyone tried this way of doing them? Sounds ok and not overly complicated for a first go at a longer cook

Sidford wrote: »
    I know there's loads of ways to do them but was going to follow Weber's recipe which is cut the rack up and place them sideways on a foil tray with a bit of a rub and 500ml of stock and then cover them and indirect for 1 hour then turn the ribs over and cover again for another hour and then last 10 mins coat in sauce and finish on direct heat.
    Anyone tried this way of doing them? Sounds ok and not overly complicated for a first go at a longer cook

Can you post this recipe? From your description it sounds way over complicated. I have never seen anyone recommend cutting them up

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Look at getting a book of bbq recipes on amazon.

Are all the Weber books much the same? Hard to tell which one to get. I’ve seen some people giving out in the reviews about some of the books being near identical

I have this one and find it good and diverse. Ready explanations on cooking and setting up the the bbq.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Webers-Complete-Barbeque-Step-step/dp/0600621111/ref=nodl_

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I just got briquettes in aldi. Wish me luck! Has anyone used these for low and slow?

I’m reluctant to use these for low n slow for two reasons.

1. They dont burn long enough
    2. For low n slow you need really clean fuel. This stuff has so much filler there will be black smoke throughout, this is not the kind of ‘smoke’ you want on food.

They’re fine for quick grilling stuff though in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

I posted below a few years ago and its still the simplest way to do ribs on a kettle. The only changes i would make now is chnge the timings from 3-2-1 to 2-1-1. You can add a little time if required but 6 hours is way too long for ribs unless you have the temps very very low.
    Fantastic, worked out well - I've outlined all the steps and stuff below for you or anyone else that might find it useful! It's a bit long so apologies for that. :)

1. This is the snake setup I used. There are 40 unlit Weber Briquettes in total and covering approx 1/2 the kettle.

34092010553_f67805c071_c.jpg

2. The rack of ribs cost €8 in local butcher. You need to remove the membrane of the ribs which I removed before applying the mustard and rub to the ribs. Took a bit of effort to get it all off properly.

34092009063_8c7fc1d29f_c.jpg

3. I coated both sides of the ribs with some mustard as a binder for the rub. The rub was my own concoction and included garlic, chilli, salt, pepper and paprika. No ideas of how much of each but I would say about 1 tbsp of each apart from the chilli which was probably 1tsp.

34515688170_025cdf7d39_c.jpg

4. I used 12 briquettes in the chimney for the start of the snake.

34515687850_31aba41bb6_c.jpg

5. There was a grand total of 52 briquettes - 12 lit and 40 unlit. Plus two small chunks of Apple Wood for smoke. It took about 20 minutes for the temperature to stabilise.

34092008943_7ebc2aa412_c.jpg

6. So these are the ribs in place for the start of the cook along with the temp probe. I was aiming for the 3-2-1 method so 3 hours of smoke are ahead!

34092010163_19fb53680b_c.jpg

7. Temperature was set to 225 degrees F. To be honest most of the cook was between 250 and 270 as I struggled to get it any lower. I ended up with lower vent fully closed and top 1/3 open and couldn't get it any lower. There may be a slight leak on the bottom vent as I have problems extinguishing the fire after every bbq so there must be some air getting in at the bottom keeping the temp up.

34771052341_c650b0875b_c.jpg

8. This is my setup at home. The Broil King Monarch 320 Gas grill which I have for a few years and use at least once or twice a week all year. Bought the Weber One Touch Premium second hand (bargain at €40) about 4 weeks ago! The gas BK hasn't been turned on since! I'm sure it will get a resurgence when the weather is bad again! On a wet cold day I'm pretty sure firing up a charcoal bbq will be a pain in the nads.

34515687330_bd3b9ae62f_c.jpg

9. So this is it after 3 hours of smoking at approx 250 degrees F.

34092009963_6e8ba43136_c.jpg

10. I applied a coating of 1 portion Water and 1/2 portion Apple Cider Vinegar at this stage before wrapping the ribs in tinfoil for another 2 hours. I believe this is to steam the ribs a little and help the meat fall off the bone.

34515687130_63af7ca4d0_c.jpg

11. 2 hours later and this is the result. The meat is starting to fall off the bone now and the smell is just fantastic. We are nearly done!

34092009603_cb21da6751_c.jpg

12. I was going to cook for another hour as per the method but as it looked practically cooked to me I reduced this to 1/2 hour and applied the sauce (BBQ Sauce from shop) every 10 mins for the last 20 minutes on both sides.

34092009373_739c1c0f0e_c.jpg

13. Ta daaa! All done. Started at 11.15am and finshed at 4.55pm just before the missus got home at 5pm!!

34092009203_ba626b4d9c_c.jpg

14. So just sitting now to enjoy the fruits of the day! They were really really nice and delighted with my first effort. They were probably a little over cooked for a purist so I will probably reduce the 3 hour smoke to maybe 2.5 hours and reduce the 2 hour wrap to 1.5 hours with 45 mins post wrap next time and see how it goes. Also, There were 12 unlit coals still left and about another 6 which were only barely lit so 40 coals total is plenty for this in future.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps someone who is starting out as well.

34902824215_e396c00137_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

SachaJ wrote: »
    I just assembled my Master Touch but doesn't seem that I can fully close the bottom P vents. With the vent handle all the way to the left, the right side of the P is still open 3-5mm. Seems I can't every shut the vents fully.

Is everyone's like this?

Might seem stupid but did you try sliding it to the right, you should be able to close it off that way also

Brian? wrote: »
    Can you post this recipe? From your description it sounds way over complicated. I have never seen anyone recommend cutting them up

It's from Weber's complete big BBQ book. I've taken screen grabs from my kindle but the pics are too big for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

They look fantastic Dave, thanks for the few tips.

• Advertisement

It's from Weber's complete big BBQ book. I've taken screen grabs from my kindle but the pics are too big for here.

I find that very strange. We’re talking pork ribs right?

they/them/theirs

Do the method posted there a few posts ago. It’s pretty foolproof and not at all complicated.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I find that very strange. We’re talking pork ribs right?

Apologies no it's for beef ribs

Apologies no it's for beef ribs

Ah, now it makes sense. :)

Yeah for beed ribs, I like to cut them into 2s. Then I inject with beef stock. Slather in Sriacha and rub with salt and pepper.

Cook at 250f until an internal temp of about 160F. Then I wrap them with more beef stock and cook until tender. I don't worry about the internal temp anymore at that point. I just use the probe to test for tenderness.

they/them/theirs

I've beef ribs in the freezer I'm going to try this with. It really is super super simple.

https://youtu.be/nFVu_XwLrew

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah......was at the butchers yesterday and asked can they get beef ribs.
    Of course they can :)

It'll be on the cards soon.

Thanks for the tip Dave will hopefully pick up some woodchips tomorrow and also the apple cider vinegar to give it a go on Monday instead!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.......so, one of two Victoria Plum trees died a couple of years ago in the drought, alond with a section of leylandii hedging.

Can I use the Plum tree as smoking wood for my WSM, being a fruit tree, they seem to be favoured as smoke material?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

I am near 9 hours into a pork shoulder cook and I'm finding it hard to get the temp up to 200/203F. I'm at 190 at the moment and it hasn't really budged in a while. It stalled at 170 earlier but I pushed through it. Any tips? Do people think 190 is done enough??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

I am near 9 hours into a pork shoulder cook and I'm finding it hard to get the temp up to 200/203F. I'm at 190 at the moment and it hasn't really budged in a while. It stalled at 170 earlier but I pushed through it. Any tips? Do people think 190 is done enough??

I'm 8 hours in and at 178 :(

I dont think 190 is enough - id go to 195 minimum and preferably 203 for it to be absolutely falling off the bone.

Another half hour or so will get you to 195 surely? Hours rest and youll be good to go for 5.30pm!!

Advertisement