Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Has anyone bothered to add a probe port to their Weber kettle?

I just leave the leads going in under the lid but it seemed a bit leaky at the weekend when the smoke was on. Not sure how to do it or if it’s worth the effort so was wondering if anyone had experience.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryath wrote: »
    It's in the description!

Four BBQ Probes and BBQ Thermometer Housing】This BBQ thermometer comes with four temperature probes, including three meat probes and one oven probe.

Been tempted to get it myself but might just get the cheaper 2 probe Inkbird IBT-2X . I'll rarely be doing than one joint at a time. I've being considering spending more though and getting a water resistant one.

Bought that Inkbird 2 probe myself but have yet to use it, I only got the triple A batteries for it yesterday. From the reviews it is not waterproof but I found a clear plastic washbag in Dealz to put it inside in case it rains. Hopefully that does the trick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you can afford a bit more the regular original kettle is a better buy. The compact is good for direct grilling but the charcoal grate is closer to the grill grate and the lid isn't as high so you won't fit bigger cuts of meats on it if you are hoping to do slower cooks. It has the ash cleaner vents which make cleaning out ash and regulating air flow easier.
    https://www.arboretum.ie/shop/products/weber-bbqs/weber-bbq-charcoal/kettle-bbqs/weber-original-kettle-e-4710-charcoal-grill-47cm.html

I wouldn't get a woodies one it's false economy you'll only get a couple of years out of it. The weber will last a lifetime if you mind it and you can always get spare parts.

The only thing thing you can't do is a brisket. Shoulder of pork fits fine

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you can afford a bit more the regular original kettle is a better buy. The compact is good for direct grilling but the charcoal grate is closer to the grill grate and the lid isn't as high so you won't fit bigger cuts of meats on it if you are hoping to do slower cooks. It has the ash cleaner vents which make cleaning out ash and regulating air flow easier.
    https://www.arboretum.ie/shop/products/weber-bbqs/weber-bbq-charcoal/kettle-bbqs/weber-original-kettle-e-4710-charcoal-grill-47cm.html

I wouldn't get a woodies one it's false economy you'll only get a couple of years out of it. The weber will last a lifetime if you mind it and you can always get spare parts.

Oh I'm tempted now especially with the free cover, would it be a big upgrade from the compact?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

nialldinho wrote:

I got an aluminium cable gland from an electrical wholesaler and drilled a hole about an inch under the lid works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Oh I'm tempted now especially with the free cover, would it be a big upgrade from the compact?

I heard that €40 cover isn't great.
    The €70 one is apparently much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

nialldinho wrote: »

I just leave the leads going in under the lid but it seemed a bit leaky at the weekend when the smoke was on. Not sure how to do it or if it’s worth the effort so was wondering if anyone had experience.

Thanks

Use the vent holes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Use the vent holes

I normally remember this when I have the charcoal in. :D:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I got an aluminium cable gland from an electrical wholesaler and drilled a hole about an inch under the lid works great.

What size gland?

I've ordered some off eBay but have a feeling they will be too small to allow the curved probes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Not sure how they are measured but the one i have i drilled a 20mm hole for. Then when you tighten the outer nut it compresses the rubber inside i have the hole in mine at between 5 and 10mm.

Ive got the thermopro twin probe thermometer and no hassle taking probes in or out.

If you want pm me a mobile number and ill send you pictures ive no idea how to post pictures on here :-)

• Advertisement

That's grand. 20mm I think is a standard enough size. I'll check my electrical wholesalers

SachaJ wrote: »
    I ordered a couple of thermometers from Amazon and they arrived today.

For instant read I went with this (ThermoPro TP19). First test so far and reads pretty quick. Cup of boiling water it had a reading in 2 or 3 seconds.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QMRKLL4/

For "leave in" I went with the below (Inkbird IBT-4XS). Not tested yet. It comes with 4 probes, 3 sharp and a blunt one. Any idea the difference between the two? Is the blunt one to be used as an oven rather than food thermometer. No mention in the instructions.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076QBJVWX/

Tested the Inkbird over lunch and very impressed. Good bluetooth range from the back garden into the office room (upstairs & at other end of the house). Worked perfectly.

Lunch was lovely....
    i-vnL5f8B-M.png

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

anyone has any idea on delivery durations currently from Weber site to Ireland (Weber Briquettes) please?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

currently from Weber site to Ireland (Weber Briquettes) please?

If you are really stuck ... Woodies stores also stock Weber briquettes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are all briquettes created equally or are some better than others?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

laros wrote: »
    If you are really stuck ... Woodies stores also stock Weber briquettes...

thanks - I am stuck, but I don't have any Woodies near to where I live, none of the stores near me stock Weber briquettes

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

have you tried A Room Outside, seem to have stock and I've had delivery in 48hrs from them

I ordered briquettes from Weber last Saturday and received a notification of shipping this afternoon. I guess I'll see them mid-end next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

FCB1899 wrote: »
    have you tried A Room Outside, seem to have stock and I've had delivery in 48hrs from them

Would they deliver a Kamado Joe Junior as fast this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Message them and see.I think they delivered my briquettes themselves without using a courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Ordered one from them on Wednesday... Was at my door at 8am this morning in Kildare

I ordered these glands from eBay earlier in the week. M16 size and my Inkbird probes pass through. I didn't think they would and I'd have to get M20's.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M12-M16-M20-Brass-Metal-Dome-Cable-Gland-IP68/254304079738

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Are all briquettes created equally or are some better than others?

Apart from the really cheapo ones there's not much difference. Paying twice as much just because the bag has "Weber" on it is like paying 140 quid for earphones because they have "Apple" on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm not usually one to complain, but please let's not have the charcoal / lump wood discussion again. It must have been discussed here about 5 times since lockdown started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm not usually one to complain, but please let's not have the charcoal / lump wood discussion again. It must have been discussed here about 5 times since lockdown started.

Yet people are still recommending products that are twice the price of similar products.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

budgemook wrote: »

Is there a sticky with the top 5 recommended brands for charcoal?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

The best thing you can do with charcoal is buy single bags and try things out yourself, see what works best for you and what you consider the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Mini Kamado in Lidl June 18th.

26.5 cm diameter is fairly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Ordered one from them on Wednesday... Was at my door at 8am this morning in Kildare

Maiden voyage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Mini Kamado in Lidl June 18th.

26.5 cm diameter is fairly small.

Interesting.... At that price I'm tempted to give it a go. Full on Kamado a bit out of reach for me so this might be a good starting point

Advertisement