Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As cool as it would be to have a kamado of some sort, this just seems ridiculously small.

Plus...she’ll kill me if I get another bbq!

Do you reckon you could get away with cooking a small joint on that mini , I very rarely feed a large number of people ..and really can't be arsed cooking a couple of beef cheeks ,or a piece of pork neck on a big BBQ , but if the ceramic holds the heat well and I can do a long slow cook for 2 (easily ) ,then I might be interested

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do you reckon you could get away with cooking a small joint on that mini , I very rarely feed a large number of people ..and really can't be arsed cooking a couple of beef cheeks ,or a piece of pork neck on a big BBQ , but if the ceramic holds the heat well and I can do a long slow cook for 2 (easily ) ,then I might be interested

Grab a measuring tape (or a kids ruler) and measure your dinner plates to see if you have one that's nearly 26cm in diameter. That'll give you a really good idea of what you can/can't cook on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Holy Diver wrote: »
    For those with the mastertouch premium - have you had to do the hinge fix or is the lid performing well without it?
    Performs fine without the fix.
    I wouldn't bother with the "fix" to be honest. It'll seal up fine after a few weeks use. You're always going to have some smoke leakage so I wouldn't worry about it.

I bought this to seal an older 57cm Outback/Homebase kettle and it would work fine on the Mastertouch - you install it on the inside lid rim. I only have it a week but it's stopped any leaks. I can't say how long it will last though. You get enough to do two kettles with a bit left over so I might even do my own MT this week. It creates a nice, soft barrier between the lid and bowl - stops any clang when you put the lid on or move the bbq around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D8V7NSY/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

SachaJ wrote: »
    I bought this to seal an older 57cm Outback/Homebase kettle and it would work fine on the Mastertouch - you install it on the inside lid rim. I only have it a week but it's stopped any leaks. I can't say how long it will last though. You get enough to do two kettles with a bit left over so I might even do my own MT this week. It creates a nice, soft barrier between the lid and bowl - stops any clang when you put the lid on or move the bbq around.

I used that on my mastertouch and WSM a few years ago. It's still going strong and stops any leaks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

just had a roll of that delivered to try to fix my Kamado Joe, where the top vent is too loose and falls off if fully open when opening the lid

Savage,
    Its on my long list.
    What size/type timer is that ?

decking newel posts for the vertical mains, what i could get recently from local shop with restrictions. the rest was just PAO 4*2, stained it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

SachaJ wrote: »

Wold this work for a lid which has gotten a bit oval instead of perfectly round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Has anyone done lamb shoulder in a kettle? My local butcher has some so think I'll give it a go. I can't find as many video/blogs for it as for other cuts of meat so if anyone has advice it would be welcomed. I'm thinking of using the snake method with some chunks of apple wood.

mossym wrote: »
    decking newel posts for the vertical mains, what i could get recently from local shop with restrictions. the rest was just PAO 4*2, stained it myself.

Sound,
    Keep us up to date!
    Going for a poured concrete top ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Sound,
    Keep us up to date!

I was thinking similar - would love to do it - might be out of my league though

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

in the middle of building one right now for my KJ. it's likely a lot bigger than what you are thinking of though

I was thinking of using pallets, but that looks simpler (ignoring the fancy recessed screws :D).

Good food for thought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Has anyone done lamb shoulder in a kettle? My local butcher has some so think I'll give it a go. I can't find as many video/blogs for it as for other cuts of meat so if anyone has advice it would be welcomed. I'm thinking of using the snake method with some chunks of apple wood.

I've done Lamb shoulder a few times - You don't really need the snake as a Lamb shoulder will only take 3 or 4 hours at most , which you'll get from a standard load of fuel.

Set it up for indirect at about 140c/150c in a foil tray with a veggie trivet with whatever herb/spice combo you want. I've done Rosemary/Garlic , Moroccan with Ras-al-Hanout or Indian by simply covering the whole joint with a Curry paste (Korma paste works well) . Make sure to stab the joint all over with a knife so whatever flavours you are using get right into it.

Comes out really tasty and just comes off the bone with a couple of forks.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

What length is that?
    I was thinking of building something very similar with the same idea as the other poster (to be able to move in and out a bbq).

Sound,
    Keep us up to date!

was thinking about it, but not right now. i have a few stones/shells from a beach in Southern California that has a personal connection and would love to set them into the concrete, but will look at it again, going wood for now.

cqE5yq7l.jpg
    Treepole wrote: »
    What length is that?
    I was thinking of building something very similar with the same idea as the other poster (to be able to move in and out a bbq).

roughly 10ft long by 3 ft wide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone know where I'd pick up a charcoal chimney? Looked in woodie's, no joy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Anyone know where I'd pick up a charcoal chimney? Looked in woodie's, no joy.

Homebase had them last week

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I got one in Tesco before, if there's any of their larger stores near you.

Zaph wrote: »
    I got one in Tesco before, if there's any of their larger stores near you.

Yeah checked the big tesco in Naas, no luck either. Will check B&Q before trying homebase.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Yeah checked the big tesco in Naas, no luck either. Will check B&Q before trying homebase.

Got my one in Argos if thats opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Homebase Nutgrove had some yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi mantis, have you tried the Choice shop beside b and q in Naas? They had them a few weeks ago upstairs

Hi mantis, have you tried the Choice shop beside b and q in Naas? They had them a few weeks ago upstairs

Checked downstairs the other but didn't see any, didn't think of upstairs.

Got it in B&Q today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - will be going into Cork today, does anyone know where I can pick up Weber briquettes in CorK please?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - will be going into Cork today, does anyone know where I can pick up Weber briquettes in CorK please?
    thanks

These guys have them, sell loads of weber stuff.

https://www.atkins.ie/locations

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Debub wrote: »
    thanks

Don't bother, get yourself some decent lump-wood and save yourself some money!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Don't bother, get yourself some decent lump-wood and save yourself some money!

Have you a link to something decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Treepole wrote:
    Have you a link to something decent?

Woodfuel.ie restaurant grade lumpwood is great stuff. They also do Namchar briquetts which are very good.

Woodfuel.ie restaurant grade lumpwood is great stuff. They also do Namchar briquetts which are very good.

I'd like to give those Namchar briquettes a try as they are half the price of Weber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

SachaJ wrote:
    I'd like to give those Namchar briquettes a try as they are half the price of Weber.

I used to use them till i started using the restaurant grade stuff couldnt fault them. Been buying off John in woodfuel for years highly reccomend him.

Advertisement