Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I used to use them till i started using the restaurant grade stuff couldnt fault them. Been buying off John in woodfuel for years highly reccomend him.

Yes I've got lump off him before but never briquettes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

SachaJ wrote: »
    I'd like to give those Namchar briquettes a try as they are half the price of Weber.

Don't think so..

The Weber are €16 for an 8KG bag , the Namchar are €38 for 20KG (5x4Kg bag)

So they are pretty much the same price , but the Namchar is very good according to those that have used it.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Don't think so..

The Weber are €16 for an 8KG bag , the Namchar are €38 for 20KG (5x4Kg bag)

So they are pretty much the same price , but the Namchar is very good according to those that have used it.

Price includes shipping 20kgs but if you can collect it's significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi lads

Wondering what this cut is.
    Like half ribs half belly?
    What I've got from local butchers as pork spares

The are only ribs at one end.

Don't get me wrong it lovely smoked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

For anyone looking b&q belgard road have about 30 chimney starters in store , €13 each

• Advertisement

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Mini Kamado in Lidl June 18th.

26.5 cm diameter is fairly small.
    Its very small not sure what ya would be cooking on it. Did you look at those kamado bono ? I think thats what they are called they are in the Lithuanian shops
    dingbat wrote: »
    Yeah I've had someone ask me about this already.

This is *not* a size that is useful for much. Too small for feeding more than two, i.e. not even a family of four. Definitely far far too small for doing what many people love doing with barbecues, i.e. having people over and enjoying time with family and friends.

HOWEVER....

if you already have a smoker, or a gas bbq, or a kettle, or even a bigger kamado then I could absolutely see a case for buying one of these as an accompanying machine.

"for what?"

Well, that small size means that if you want to get a small amount of food seared - e.g. a couple of steaks or a single Cote de Boeuf - then this will take less time to light and get up to temp than your kettle or larger kamado.

Secondly, if you have a bbq with what we might call a standard size 18" cooking area then when you *do* have a gathering with (post-Covid!) a load of people around then having extra cooking area is never anything other than a Very Good Thing. And if you want to use it as a v v small smoker, well that's gravy.

Like all things, get the right tool for your needs.

Hope that's helpful to someone.
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Do you reckon you could get away with cooking a small joint on that mini , I very rarely feed a large number of people ..and really can't be arsed cooking a couple of beef cheeks ,or a piece of pork neck on a big BBQ , but if the ceramic holds the heat well and I can do a long slow cook for 2 (easily ) ,then I might be interested

So.
    As a Kamado Jo junior owner - just thought I'd comment on the above posts related to the Aldi version of a small ceramic BBQ as Newtown90 posted - thanks Newtown90 for highlighting. :)

1. I agree with what dingbat has posted above- except that I would really emphasise what that poster says- it's damned small- and also, there's no scope for smoking with the Lidl version as there''s no heat diffuser which is essential for ceramic cooking - fine for end-searing- that's it- and did we say it's damned small?

You'll successfully sear a small piece of meat but you won't smoke or cook anything worthwhile- especially low and slow ( @marcheese please note)- given its small size and lack of options in terms of deflected heat.

Don't buy is my recommendation. AMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

deckie27 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Wondering what this cut is.
    Like half ribs half belly?
    What I've got from local butchers as pork spares

The are only ribs at one end.

Don't get me wrong it lovely smoked

I'm no expert but they look like spare ribs but they've given you the whole belly! Ideally they'd have been trimmed first and left with an even amount of meat on them on the bottom side to help for an even cook. I only posted about this a second ago, it's very hard to get American type spare ribs in Dublin anyway. How much did they cost?

Top left in link below.

https://three-little-pigs-bbq.com/tutorial-on-pork-ribs-cuts/

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Was thinking about picking one up for the sole reason of doing some slow cooking basics on it as Im only getting started in figuring it out! There are some suggestions of putting in a makeshift heat deflector in them here that may help?

https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/540-aldi-kamado/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ribs in the ProQ & pork kebabs on my little Russian style manual.

20200612-213602.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Smurts wrote: »
    Was thinking about picking one up for the sole reason of doing some slow cooking basics on it as Im only getting started in figuring it out! There are some suggestions of putting in a makeshift heat deflector in them here that may help?

https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/540-aldi-kamado/

It would be far less frustrating to learn smoking on a Kettle. That little yoke would drive me nuts. Not enough grill space, not enough fuel space.. I dont even see the point in this thing to be honest.

• Advertisement

It would be far less frustrating to learn smoking on a Kettle. That little yoke would drive me nuts. Not enough grill space, not enough fuel space.. I dont even see the point in this thing to be honest.

The point for me would be when cooking for 2 as the kids don't eat much meat. Or cooking a quick steak for lunch as I did on the kettle on Monday. That said, money might be better spent on a Kamado Bono Minimo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This thread is proving very popular at the moment but BBQing with a ceramic or kamado grill is inherently different to a normal charcoal grill. To help those people using a ceramic grill, we're going to add a specific thread all of it's own.

You'll find it here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058086372

How do you know if your BBQ is a kamado or normal? Well, if it weighs a tonne, then it's probably a ceramic!

Keep grilling!

The Gloomster!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I find it a bit strange to make another thread for ceramic grills and gas grills.

I can almost see the reason to split of gas bbq. But still think it's unnecessary.

But ceramic grills are not inherently different to other charcoal grills. You light a fire in the bottom, control the air flow and cook things over burning charcoal.

What's next? A thread for charcoal kettles only? A thread for offset smokers only? A thread of bullet shaped smokers only?

I think if the traffic is that high, make a sub forum. I really liked the thread the way it was before the off shoots were created.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The gas one was needed because 90% or posts were gas vs charcoal debates.
    Charcoal is of course better .........

Baby back ribs, fillet steaks, rack of lamb and pork cheeks all sitting downstairs...and its pissing rain! :(

So much for the promise of 20 degrees this weekend! Umbrella bbq today it is. (Its a kettle though, not a ceramic.. so hope I’m in the right thread!)

The gas one was needed because 90% or posts were gas vs charcoal debates.
    Charcoal is of course better .........

Fair enough.

they/them/theirs

Baby back ribs, fillet steaks, rack of lamb and pork cheeks all sitting downstairs...and its pissing rain! :(

So much for the promise of 20 degrees this weekend! Umbrella bbq today it is. (Its a kettle though, not a ceramic.. so hope I’m in the right thread!)

I feel your pain. 2kgs ribeye for steaks, large chicken, burgers etc all to be cooked today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

My first time to smoke spare ribs today.

Smoked baby back ribs a few weeks ago and wasn't too sure of timing etc. Great smoky flavour but a tad dry even after spritzing, wrapping etc etc.

So....I'm going for the 3-2-1 on these spare ribs. Been rubbed last night. On the rack at 10am to eat at 4pm.

And I'll remember to paint home made BBQ sauce and WRAP TIGHTLY in tin foil this time, last time foil wasn't too tight. Wasn't sure.

Pound of butcher sausages on last hour.......night time snacks :D

Smoker in shed so out of cold.
    Chimney on in a few minutes time.

Planet X wrote: »

Smoked baby back ribs a few weeks ago and wasn't too sure of timing etc. Great smoky flavour but a tad dry even after spritzing, wrapping etc etc.

So....I'm going for the 3-2-1 on these spare ribs. Been rubbed last night. On the rack at 10am to eat at 4pm.

And I'll remember to paint home made BBQ sauce and WRAP TIGHTLY in tin foil this time, last time foil wasn't too tight. Wasn't sure.

Pound of butcher sausages on last hour.......night time snacks :D

Smoker in shed so out of cold.
    Chimney on in a few minutes time.

For baby backs i normally go 2-1.5-.5 and theyre perfect. 3-2-1 is too much for baby backs but usually ok for spare ribs if they’re chunky enough. Throw a bit of liquid in with the foil - beer/coke and honey/butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Planet X wrote: »

Where did you get them? Butcher cut them for you?

• Advertisement

Colm Leavy, Craft Butcher, Lambs Cross........order only.

About €12/kilo.

For baby backs i normally go 2-1.5-.5 and theyre perfect. 3-2-1 is too much for baby backs but usually ok for spare ribs if they’re chunky enough. Throw a bit of liquid in with the foil - beer/coke and honey/butter!

I'm on it......

MKChAoal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any advice for doing spatchcock chicken (approx 1.6kg) on mastertouch?

Holy Diver wrote: »

Simon and Garfunkel rub.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/simon-and-garfunkel-spice-blend-and-baste-recipe

Indirect at 325F. 1 Small piece of fruit wood, don't over smoke. Cherry is ideal. When she's done, grill direct to crisp the skin.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/chicken-recipes/grilled-citrus-herb-spatchcocked-chicken-recipe

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weber compact arrived during the week and I put it together this morning so I'm bbq'ing later on hail rain or shine.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Brian? wrote: »
    I find it a bit strange to make another thread for ceramic grills and gas grills.

I can almost see the reason to split of gas bbq. But still think it's unnecessary.

But ceramic grills are not inherently different to other charcoal grills. You light a fire in the bottom, control the air flow and cook things over burning charcoal.

What's next? A thread for charcoal kettles only? A thread for offset smokers only? A thread of bullet shaped smokers only?

I think if the traffic is that high, make a sub forum. I really liked the thread the way it was before the off shoots were created.

Ceramic is becoming popular and a lot of cheap versions coming on the market- I predict a significant increase in queries over coming months. Like all threads it will survive or die based on the users of the forum. But I think it’s a good idea as it’s a nice go-to thread for all things ceramic - why not see how it goes first?

Holy Diver wrote: »

Have one on now but probably around 2kgs. Had to spatchcock it myself and using the yardbird rub from a the Hang Fire Cook Book. Really nice rub. Third week in a row the wife is making me cook it. I aim for 175c or thereabouts and cook until the thickest part of chicken reads 75c. Indirect and trying the amazon knock-off Slow n Sear for the first time.

I've used olive wood before but trying hickory today.

Here's a good video for some direction.
    https://youtu.be/T0n9l97Gz2k

Winner Winner....spare ribs dinner!
    Da bomb, sold now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Brian? wrote: »
    Simon and Garfunkel rub.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/simon-and-garfunkel-spice-blend-and-baste-recipe

Indirect at 325F. 1 Small piece of fruit wood, don't over smoke. Cherry is ideal. When she's done, grill direct to crisp the skin.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/chicken-recipes/grilled-citrus-herb-spatchcocked-chicken-recipe

Looks good. I already have a tandoori rub on it but will roll with the method you linked. Thanks

Advertisement