Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Any advice for doing spatchcock chicken (approx 1.6kg) on mastertouch?

I use dried herbs (Italian mix is generally my favourite) and combine with lemon juice a little brown sugar, salt, white pepper, black pepper and honey- - about 170c or 350f- i use this mix a lot for small chicken pieces and wings also- again at same temp- works really well on a Gas BBQ BTW and leaves you with a lovely "char" as the skin slowly dries out and a nice "tang" from the lemon juice- just a fresh taste, nothing heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Are ye finding a significant difference in temperature at grate level than what is showing on lid thermometer?

I have a reading of 166c on the grate and the lid is showing 200c. That said I’m only using a cheap lidl probe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there a particular type of charcoal needed to get that sweet bbq smell that is rampant all over my housing estate?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Looks good. I already have a tandoori rub on it but will roll with the method you linked. Thanks

Sweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Is there a particular type of charcoal needed to get that sweet bbq smell that is rampant all over my housing estate?

I think it just smells better when its not your own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Are ye finding a significant difference in temperature at grate level than what is showing on lid thermometer?

I have a reading of 166c on the grate and the lid is showing 200c. That said I’m only using a cheap lidl probe

Yes, I have a inkbird probe mounted inside on the grate and it frequently reads 50c below the lid probe. That said, the lid probe is usually nearer the coals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Just finished pork shoulder on the Weber master touch. Filled the diffuser ring with charcoal and didn’t have to add any more for the 8 hours the cook took. Any longer and I would have had to add more which is a bit of a pain using the diffuser plate.

Forgot to take an after pic as I was doing other stuff while it was resting.

Used the amazing ribs Memphis dust rub. Fresh baps and coleslaw with bbq sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sweet...

Looks good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

SachaJ wrote: »
    Have one on now but probably around 2kgs. Had to spatchcock it myself and using the yardbird rub from a the Hang Fire Cook Book. Really nice rub. Third week in a row the wife is making me cook it. I aim for 175c or thereabouts and cook until the thickest part of chicken reads 75c. Indirect and trying the amazon knock-off Slow n Sear for the first time.

I've used olive wood before but trying hickory today.

Here's a good video for some direction.
    https://youtu.be/T0n9l97Gz2k

Oh wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Indirect and trying the amazon knock-off Slow n Sear for the first time.
    [/url]

Hi. Is this the one you got? How did you find it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amarillo-Smoker-Stainless-Kettle-Diameter/dp/B06XSGYKS9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=slow+n+sear&qid=1592132270&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

deckie27 wrote: »

Only used it yesterday for the first time so can't really give much of an impression. Not sure I used it right as put half a chimney of unlit coals on the bottom and half a chimney of lit over the top. Took a while to get up to roasting temp for the chicken. I'll try a different method next time like maybe side to side.

That said, the chicken came out perfect. Big bonus so far is that I have more room on the grill compared to using both weber charcoal baskets. Loads of room for the chicken and potatoes.

Yes that's the one I bought from Amazon last week for £45. Quality looks very good and it's heavy and sturdy. Only difference it seems to the genuine article is that the SnS has a grate on the bottom (I think) while this doesn't so you couldn't pick it up to empty out the unused coals. I must try putting some water in to make sure there's no leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I've got a smokenator for the 57cm kettle only used it twice, have a WSM now so not used in since, for €30 if anyone is interested, located in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Only used it yesterday for the first time so can't really give much of an impression. Not sure I used it right as put half a chimney of unlit coals on the bottom and half a chimney of lit over the top. Took a while to get up to roasting temp for the chicken. I'll try a different method next time like maybe side to side.

That said, the chicken came out perfect. Big bonus so far is that I have more room on the grill compared to using both weber charcoal baskets. Loads of room for the chicken and potatoes.

Yes that's the one I bought from Amazon last week for £45. Quality looks very good and it's heavy and sturdy. Only difference it seems to the genuine article is that the SnS has a grate on the bottom (I think) while this doesn't so you couldn't pick it up to empty out the unused coals. I must try putting some water in to make sure there's no leaks.
    Do they ship to IE or parcel motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I can still post here even though I have a Kamado right? I just want to talk about BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - doing beef ribs, meat temp stuck at 174F for more than an hour now, help (it’s about 4 hours in)
    Thanks

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - doing beef ribs, meat temp stuck at 174F for more than an hour now, help (it’s about 4 hours in)
    Thanks

4 hours in and you're already at 174f? What temp are you cooking at?

Double wrap them in foil with a little beed stock.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Brian? wrote: »
    4 hours in and you're already at 174f? What temp are you cooking at?

Double wrap them in foil with a little beed stock.

Sorry a bit more than 5 hours, grill temp at around 170 to 200F

lisij wrote: »
    Do they ship to IE or parcel motel?

It was fulfilled by Amazon so I shipped it to IE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thanks

Thats the "stall". Totally normal. Moisture evaporating from the meat surface and cooling the meat. Wrap them up in foil (make sure there are no holes) and give them another couple of hours.

Sorry a bit more than 5 hours, grill temp at around 170 to 200F

Are you mixing up F and C? 170 to 200 is really, really low.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Are you mixing up F and C? 170 to 200 is really, really low.

Hence why the meat temp is stagnating. Its basically cooling itself down by sweating.

Need to get that BBQ temp up to 220c asap.

The Nal wrote: »
    Hence why the meat temp is stagnating. Its basically cooling itself down by sweating.

Need to get that BBQ temp up to 220c asap.

I do do beef ribs at 275f. 220c is off the chain high, I assume that was a typo.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I've got a smokenator for the 57cm kettle only used it twice, have a WSM now so not used in since, for €30 if anyone is interested, located in Dublin

Whereabouts in Dublin are you

I do do beef ribs at 275f. 220c is off the chain high, I assume that was a typo.

T'was a typo. And yeah, last time I actually did them at 320f/160c ish. In the oven though under baking paper in a broth. Worked out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

225 to 250 Fahrenheit for most low and slow for me.

Smurts wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Dublin are you

Dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

I find it a bit strange to make another thread for ceramic grills and gas grills.

I can almost see the reason to split of gas bbq. But still think it's unnecessary.

But ceramic grills are not inherently different to other charcoal grills. You light a fire in the bottom, control the air flow and cook things over burning charcoal.

What's next? A thread for charcoal kettles only? A thread for offset smokers only? A thread of bullet shaped smokers only?

I think if the traffic is that high, make a sub forum. I really liked the thread the way it was before the off shoots were created.
    Couldn't agree more with this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

dingbat wrote: »

+1.

I think if there's one thing I'd like in a separate thread, it's be the "buying a BBQ - what grill/smoker/kamado should I get?" stuff... A different thread for recommendations and discussion of what type of bbq suits people's needs/budget would keep this thread about the actual bbqing.

dingbat wrote: »

Yeah I'm on alot of bbq/smoking forums on Facebook, and there's alot of snobbery when it comes to other ways of smoking, calling pellet grills easy bake ovens and the likes. Whatever way people wanna grill is up to them people are here to share tips and learn not listen to ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

I joined this thread about 8 weeks ago when looking to buy first charcoal BBQ and Ive said it several times since then that the help and lack of snobbery on here has been brilliant. Everyone here recognises that people need help starting out and also want to share tips so that people can replicate what went well and avoid mistakes they made.
    I for one really like the format it is now, so many topics get covered in it that you pick up stuff you didn't even know you should have a clue about. While it's a busy thread it doesn't move 20 pages a week so you can keep up with it.

Hope this thread stays the same both in terms of sound members will to help out others and also in relation to it's format.

Advertisement