Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Alot of people posting on Facebook that Weber will be no longer making charcoal. I've only ever used it but what other charcoal do you lads use for long cooks?

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Alot of people posting on Facebook that Weber will be no longer making charcoal. I've only ever used it but what other charcoal do you lads use for long cooks?

Big K- I find it quite good but it’s expensive -I’ve also used other cheaper “restaurant grade” charcoal - different brands some better than others-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s very strange. Are you sure it’s true?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s very strange. Are you sure it’s true?

Well people over on fans of Weber smokey mountain forum,say they're being told by Weber reps that once current stock is gone that's it, market is flooded with so many different brands, but who knows to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Planet X wrote: »
    ....same here, Cajun Bandit door arrived this morning from USA. Nice upgrade. I like it.
    47cm WSM

What's a Firedial?

What's the benefit of the Cajun Bandit door? It just looks like a heavier version of the standard one so wouldn't it leak just as much?

I used that sticky felt-like tape on my door and it doesn't leak at all anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well people over on fans of Weber smokey mountain forum,say they're being told by Weber reps that once current stock is gone that's it, market is flooded with so many different brands, but who knows to be honest.

Most of them manufactured similar to this

giphy.gif

Ned01 wrote: »
    What's the benefit of the Cajun Bandit door? It just looks like a heavier version of the standard one so wouldn't it leak just as much?

I used that sticky felt-like tape on my door and it doesn't leak at all anymore.

I think the standard door leaks more because it gets bent easily, whereas the Cajun bandit one is more strudy. I wouldn't bother my hole buying it though.

I'd seriously consider the hinge though.

they/them/theirs

The Nal wrote: »

Most of them manufactured similar to this

giphy.gif

That's not entirely true. Briquettes are made from off cuts and saw dust from timber mills. Weber only use hard wood. Ant briquettes that used only hard wood burns longer than ones that use other woods.

I use Weber because I know exactly how much I need at every stage of my cooks. Once I learn that about a new brand I'll be ok. It takes the variability out of the cook a bit.

they/them/theirs

Has anyone replaced a thermometer for a Weber Smokey Mountain?

Planet X wrote: »
    ....same here, Cajun Bandit door arrived this morning from USA. Nice upgrade. I like it.
    47cm WSM

What's a Firedial?

How long did you're take to arrive?mine took 13 days to get from one part of New York to another :/ so God knows how long it'll take to arrive here.

Firedial replaces the waterpan and helps to regulate temp for low n slow cooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Probably not , but if you ever wanted to cook up a chicken or something larger than a steak an instant read thermometer is a must .

They are about 15 quid on Amazon.

Could anyone recommend a good starter video or recipe link for doing a chicken? Have the webber MT and a wireless temp probe, would love to have a go at a small chicken some time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

bamayang wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a good starter video or recipe link for doing a chicken? Have the webber MT and a wireless temp probe, would love to have a go at a small chicken some time.

Thanks

I'm thinking of this one for the weekend:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/chicken-recipes/grilled-citrus-herb-spatchcocked-chicken-recipe

or possibly this:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/simon-and-garfunkel-spice-blend-and-baste-recipe

I generally just throw the chicken on one side with charcoal on the other side and wait til it comes up to temp. Then throw it over the coals to crisp up the skin a bit.

Thanks

This is absolutely delicious and my new go to

portuguese chicken and crispy potatoes peri peri chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

portuguese chicken and crispy potatoes {peri peri chicken}

It's nice, but the link is missing :)

tangy wrote: »
    It's nice, but the link is missing :)

Ah ****e, added now

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Thanks

Beer Can Chicken. Stick a basket of coals each side of the bbq, and the chicken in the middle on the can.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/beer-can-chicken/weber-6547.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The link is still dodgy but I managed to find it anyway. That’s tomorrow’s dinner sorted, looks lovely, thanks! :)

The link is still dodgy but I managed to find it anyway. That’s tomorrow’s dinner sorted, looks lovely, thanks! :)

Its really good. Just make sure to give the last application of sauce enough time to cook. And tuck the spuds under after a while or theyll get too charred. I did both first time, uncooked sauce and burned spuds.

Yeah had a mare with that link for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The recipe says 425, would you do it at 325 on the bbq?

eeepaulo wrote: »
    The recipe says 425, would you do it at 325 on the bbq?

Yeah Ive done it at just over that in the oven no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cowboy steaks looked good in Lidl this morning. I left empty handed as had forgotten my wallet.

Few bits for the WSM arrived today:)
    IMG-20200618-175839.jpg[img\]

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone have any idea where one might get a "stacker" for a 57cm weber kettle? Similar to this - http://www.barbecuestacker.com/#Backyard

backyard-stacker.jpg

A rotisserie is similar but i want one without the holes. Something like a proq stacker would ge ideal. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ProQ is probably a bit smaller so wouldn't have the snug fit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

as i was asked to provide updates on the bbq table build...almost there, few coats of sealer to go on the top and shelves

MM6mjJyl.jpg

mossym wrote: »
    as i was asked to provide updates on the bbq table build...almost there, few coats of sealer to go on the top and shelves

MM6mjJyl.jpg

That's beautiful

they/them/theirs

MM6mjJyl.jpg

Noice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

MM6mjJyl.jpg
    Awful.

You'll hate it.

I'll pop over and selflessly take it off your hands. Save you the misery.

:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

MM6mjJyl.jpg

Great work - Always jealous of people that have actual tangible DIY ability as I have utterly none.

That looks superb..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

mossym wrote:

What timber did you use for the top ?? I made one using D rail 4×2 but it hasnt weathered too well so need to make some mods.

Advertisement