Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Hi everyone,

Just moved back from the US and my Kamado has made it home safely.

I’ve been reading this thread for years and it’s given me some great pointers and ideas.

I was just wondering where people get good quality lump wood charcoal in or near South Dublin at a decent price and some smoking woods? I remember them having what looked like good quality stuff in a Lithuanica store in Blanch village but is there anywhere else? The Weber stuff is obviously reliable and good quality but I assume that there has to be a cheaper way than just buying 8kg bags of that in my local woodies or garden centre

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading this thread for years and it’s given me some great pointers and ideas.

I was just wondering where people get good quality lump wood charcoal in or near South Dublin at a decent price and some smoking woods? I remember them having what looked like good quality stuff in a Lithuanica store in Blanch village but is there anywhere else? The Weber stuff is obviously reliable and good quality but I assume that there has to be a cheaper way than just buying 8kg bags of that in my local woodies or garden centre

Thanks all

Welcome back. Baste just off the canal have 15kg for 30 euro, just used it once so far but was happy with it. It's not cheaper than the Weber stuff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

That looks great mossym, will you have it under a canopy? Love the stain, what did you use? Wonder would a "post a pic of your bbq/smoker" like the car Forum has take off here? Be great for ideas or are they coveted? :-)

mossym wrote: »
    as i was asked to provide updates on the bbq table build...almost there, few coats of sealer to go on the top and shelves

jpg

That’s Fantastic - I’d love a table for my Joe jnr- it won’t happen with my skills - you’ll never be out of work that’s for sure. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Leg of lamb on for Father’s Day. Left alone to cook it as well :) and a glass of wine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭fits

heroics wrote: »
    Leg of lamb on for Father’s Day. Left alone to cook it as well :) and a glass of wine

Just got ourselves a master touch. It will be a while before I attempt a leg of lamb on it though. One in oven here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

fits wrote: »
    Just got ourselves a master touch. It will be a while before I attempt a leg of lamb on it though. One in oven here too.

I’d just go for it! I think it was one of the first cooks I did. Followed this recipe And it was pretty easy and very tasty.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/recipes/lamb/barbecued-leg-of-lamb-with-garlic-rosemary/weber-60415.html

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Used one of these today for onions and peppers for fajitas, easier then the trays I had been using.
    Would definitely recommend, I got the large one in windy ridge garden centre for 30.
    https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/baskets-and-pans/6677.html?cgid=2031#start=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thanks all. Table is now drying with it's last coat, so should be putting the Kamado Joe in tomorrow evening , looking forward to seeing it all together
    What timber did you use for the top ?? I made one using D rail 4×2 but it hasnt weathered too well so need to make some mods.

used 1" thick PAO Tongue and groove. i wanted a hgh quality finish, especailly on top, so i got planed wood and then sanded it down with different grits before finishing

i think the longevity is going to be determined by how you finish it. any of the prettreated stuff is very rough, and doesn't seem to last great anyway, so i went with untreated and finished myself.

long term i'll probably look to do a concrete top, or maybe even granite depending on how it works out, so will judge when that happens by how long this holds up

That looks great mossym, will you have it under a canopy? Love the stain, what did you use? Wonder would a "post a pic of your bbq/smoker" like the car Forum has take off here? Be great for ideas or are they coveted? :-)

eventually it will be under a gazebo type full roof, but that's not in yet so have a cover bought for now. it's finished with Sikkens cetol base layer first, and then a few coats of the sikkens filter 7 to seal, the top and shelves for 4 full coats for longevity.

I'll post pics of my grills no problem, there is already pics of my kadai in here, and my KJ i believe, i;ve a weber too but everyone knows what they look like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

mossym wrote:
    long term i'll probably look to do a concrete top, or maybe even granite depending on how it works out, so will judge when that happens by how long this holds up

Was kinda thinking something similar. I never done anything with mine so i might just replace the twisted 4x2 and stain it get another four or five years out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Got the nephews (10 & 12) to do 'smores on the BBQ yesterday (rich tea, 3 Cadbury squares and marshmallow) and gave them a timer and let them at it (obviously I was there beside them) and it was absolutely brilliant they were so happy to be doing it. Was great to see them so into it, hopefully sparks some interest in them.
    And I have to say they were bloody great as well - so so simple yet they were amazing.

as i was asked to provide updates on the bbq table build...almost there, few coats of sealer to go on the top and shelves

MM6mjJyl.jpg

Good stuff.
    I'll be using it as my inspiration ,
    Just picked up a load of 100 x100mm post!
    I'm going to go with mortise and tenon joints on the legs.
    Purely because I'd like to expand my woodworking skills.
    Would normally just go wild on the pocket holes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hi everyone,

Thanks all
    You can get the big blue bags of restaurant lump in the Big Green Egg place in Glasthule. They also do BGE smoking woods (chunks or chips).

Outdoor Scene in Goatsdown has Weber briquettes or lump, and they also do the big bags of Alderline lump. Plenty of smoking chips there; not so sure about chunks.

Good stuff.
    I'll be using it as my inspiration ,
    Just picked up a load of 100 x100mm post!
    I'm going to go with mortise and tenon joints on the legs.
    Purely because I'd like to expand my woodworking skills.
    Would normally just go wild on the pocket holes!!!

fair play, i went quick and easy with the pocket holes, mortise and tenon will definitely add to the build. look forward to seeing how it turns out

maybe we do need that gallery thread...

fair play, i went quick and easy with the pocket holes, mortise and tenon will definitely add to the build. look forward to seeing how it turns out

maybe we do need that gallery thread...

Just ordered 2 sets of these casters for it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LH64HY3/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I plan on going with a concrete top but that may or may not happen.

won't clog up the thread with build advice, but the one thing i learned, don't confuse the caster wheel size with the overall caster height, my wheels were 100mm but the overall height was 135. judge your legs appropriately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Some big success on the Weber Mastertouch this weekend with these. One of these steaks is €11.50 a kg, the other €30 a kilo......Both 800g cowboys steaks.

steak-1.jpg steak-2.jpg steak-3.jpg steak-4.jpg

Some big success on the Weber Mastertouch this weekend with these. One of these steaks is €11.50 a kg, the other €30 a kilo......Both 800g cowboys steaks.

steak-1.jpg steak-2.jpg steak-3.jpg steak-4.jpg

So big question- any 20 euro 💶 difference in taste between the two steaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

So big question- any 20 euro 💶 difference in taste between the two steaks?

The aged steak was definitely a bit more 'gamier' and obviously a little more bite in it. But flavour wise on the whole it was very very close. I think I preferred the Supervalu cut but maybe there was just a bit more maldon salt on it. Thats the key really.

Would I spend nearly three times as much the next time? Definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

MM6mjJyl.jpg

Would you build one for me?

• Advertisement

so, it's done. some skin and blood lost getting the KJ lifted in, but it's not likely to come out again for a while.

delighted with how it finished up. just need some weather now to christen it properly. first sunny day will see an ice bucket full of beer, some tunes and hopefully some friends all socially distancing around it.

may get a 2 burner gas stove to sit on the top beside the KJ. Will see. anyway, any more pics will need to be over in the ceramic thread i guess, this finishes the story that was started here.

IOqS58Wl.jpg

Would you build one for me?

you wouldn't want to be paying me by the hour. I'm a take my time kind get it right kind of guy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

you wouldn't want to be paying me by the hour. I'm a take my time kind get it right kind of guy

May I say the end result is absolutely fabulous. KJoe looks real mighty.

Wow,stunner!
    The proportions are spot on too.
    Any chance you could share the dimensions ?
    Just roughly.

it's roughly 2.2m by .92m wide, and the counter top is standard 36" height for a counter. each of the 3 horizontal sections on the front betwwen the legs is 2ft, and they are 2ft 5 on the sides/deep

you could put another couple of KJ's on it and it would take the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I was looking at the Kamado Bono Grande 56cm grill, has anyone any idea if this is a good ceramic bbq? Its 900Eur and seems to be cheaper than the regular Kamado, Egg or Berghoff bbq we were looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Those Supervalue cowboy steaks are a great deal for 11.50/kg, have had 5 or 6 of them this summer so far. Wish they were available all the time. The offer is still on and finishes Thursday I think so I'll be getting another couple before it does.

Anyway article on BBQ here, not much new info but theres a couple of handy tips in it
    The heat is on: how to barbecue every food perfectly – from steak to fish to tender veg

Now that lockdown rules have been relaxed, here’s how to avoid shredding your salmon, serving raw chicken or giving your cauliflower too much crunch

The sun is out (for now). You’re allowed into other peoples’ gardens (for now). This can only mean one thing: barbecue season is upon us again. Usually that can mean joylessly navigating a minefield of potential food poisoning while drunk and surrounded by wasps. But is there a better way? We asked the experts for 10 tips.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jun/22/chefs-top-10-barbecue-tips-cook-meat-fish-veg-lockdown-rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

That table looks great. Did it need the notch at the back for the hinge, or would you have gotten away with a circle? I see the notch on a number of tables online and have been wondering if it is really needed.

Also, your shelf beside the table is nice too - did you make that?

if you don't want the notch the top of the table needs to be below the hinge, so the egg would be sitting very high. picture what i have with the middle shelf, and the grill sitting 3 or 4 inches higher. you certainly need the hinge cutout in my view. it's very easy though, the circle is harder.

the shelf on the wall is from ikea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Due to reasons involving house renovation and Covid travel restrictions I have only been able to bbq on a small gasser for the last 7 months.

THIS CHANGES SOON. CHARCOAL EVERYWHERE. I CANNOT BLOODY WAIT.

Advertisement