Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

heroics wrote: »
    I’d just go for it! I think it was one of the first cooks I did. Followed this recipe And it was pretty easy and very tasty.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/recipes/lamb/barbecued-leg-of-lamb-with-garlic-rosemary/weber-60415.html

I must be a thick tonight but when you did it did you cook the lamb in the tray with everything else over an indirect? Want to try this on Sunday as we have a few family coming over so just want to make sure get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Sidford wrote: »
    I must be a thick tonight but when you did it did you cook the lamb in the tray with everything else over an indirect? Want to try this on Sunday as we have a few family coming over so just want to make sure get it right

I put the coals either side of the Weber. Put a tray on the same level as the coals with the wine stock etc in it. Then on the cooking grate above the tray I put the lamb

You might be able to see what I mean better in the pic attached

Just one note I only used about 3 cloves of garlic each one sliced into 4 strips and found it was loads for the leg of lamb. Threw another 4 or five into the tray under neath

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fired up our Weber first time last night. We definitely need the chimney starter. But I love it! The kids love it. It’s so gooodd. Can’t wait to use this more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

heroics wrote: »
    I put the coals either side of the Weber. Put a tray on the same level as the coals with the wine stock etc in it. Then on the cooking grate above the tray I put the lamb

You might be able to see what I mean better in the pic attached

Just one note I only used about 3 cloves of garlic each one sliced into 4 strips and found it was loads for the leg of lamb. Threw another 4 or five into the tray under neath

Ah sweet thanks a mill for that! The lamb looks amazing and the gravy that you could make from the tray would be unreal! Roll on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

27 degrees here today and apparently it's national burger day! Sure why not. Like I need an excuse!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Where is everybody getting their lumpwood from? Seems like a real lack of stock out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Where is everybody getting their lumpwood from? Seems like a real lack of stock out there at the moment.

Woodfuel.ie ya wont go wrong with them ive been buying off them for years. Not sure how uptodate the website is but give John a ring hes very helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Woodfuel.ie ya wont go wrong with them ive been buying off them for years. Not sure how uptodate the website is but give John a ring hes very helpfull.

Just ordered 4 bags yesterday. Only gripe was they normally deliver 60 euro bags of firewood to me for free but charged me a tenner for 64 euro worth of charcoal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

budgemook wrote: »
    Just ordered 4 bags yesterday. Only gripe was they normally deliver 60 euro bags of firewood to me for free but charged me a tenner for 64 euro worth of charcoal!

I'd not be using them again, I'd go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Any BBQ/Smoking book recommendations folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

I’m buying a ceramic bbq and I really don’t need a big one. Has anyone here has a KJ junior here? Is it worth the investment? The size of cooking area not to be too small What I’m worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Smurts wrote: »
    Any BBQ/Smoking book recommendations folks?

Just got this from amazon, it's the business

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/tools/books-and-magazines/meathead-book

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just took delivery of this bad boy!!

Oh Yes! There will be rotisserie lamb, Oh Yes!

ZaZaOBW.jpg

OQ4WDGi.jpg

uXECCTm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

ZaZaOBW.jpg

The lid doesn’t fit over it?

The lid doesn’t fit over it?

Sure whats a little rain :D

Rain never stopped any of my bbq’s! :)

I’m wondering though how well the rotisserie cook performs without the lid to retain heat. I do all my rotisserie with the lid on. I imagine you’d get away with thighs etc but if its big joints I’d always go lid on with rotisseries.

You could throw in some oak logs though and go santa maria style!

Rain never stopped any of my bbq’s! :)

I’m wondering though how well the rotisserie cook performs without the lid to retain heat. I do all my rotisserie with the lid on. I imagine you’d get away with thighs etc but if its big joints I’d always go lid on with rotisseries.

You could throw in some oak logs though and go santa maria style!

Nah be grand, i can remove the middle stack and have it closer to the heat

That's the versatility of a ProQ

budgemook wrote:

I wouldnt imagine he would have the same mark up on charcoal as logs. The same charcoal is €22 a bag in a room outside so it still works out cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can I smoke a whole chicken and "3-2-1 spare ribs" at the same time do you reckon?
    How long should a whole chicken take to smoke.....2 hours?

PS....and could I throw a beef joint in also and do a 3-2-1....assume so?

Planet X wrote:
    Can I smoke a whole chicken and "3-2-1 spare ribs" at the same time do you reckon? How long should a whole chicken take to smoke.....2 hours?

Chicken will take about 1.5 to 2 hours. Beef will take longer you need to cook those to an internal temperature rather than a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nah be grand, i can remove the middle stack and have it closer to the heat

That's the versatility of a ProQ

What size ProQ is that?

I wouldnt imagine he would have the same mark up on charcoal as logs. The same charcoal is €22 a bag in a room outside so it still works out cheaper.

ah yeah, they are sound guys so I don't think they are ripping me off or anything.

budgemook wrote: »

Their website says.......delivery included in price.

We guarantee:

Great service with a personal touch
    All our prices include delivery nationwide.
    Consistent high quality products

Planet X wrote: »
    Their website says.......delivery included in price.

We guarantee:

Great service with a personal touch
    All our prices include delivery nationwide.
    Consistent high quality products

Probably means their firewood. On the charcoal page it says:

Price shown is collected price only delivery is extra and is charged according to quantity and location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Planet X wrote: »
    Can I smoke a whole chicken and "3-2-1 spare ribs" at the same time do you reckon?
    How long should a whole chicken take to smoke.....2 hours?

PS....and could I throw a beef joint in also and do a 3-2-1....assume so?

No. You want to cook chicken hotter to get nice skin. Indirect for about 1.5 hours at 180c/350f(I think).

I like to spatchcock chicken. I’ll be doing it tomorrow. It’s dead simple.

Beef is a much simpler operation. 25 minutes a pound, plus 25 minutes at 180C, as a guideline. But use the internal temperature to judge.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've smoked whole chickens. Yeah the skin may not get as crispy but its the juiciest chicken you'll ever have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nal wrote: »
    I've smoked whole chickens. Yeah the skin may not get as crispy but its the juiciest chicken you'll ever have.

I smoke it as well. But at 180c with a small amount of fruit wood. It’s plenty juicy once it’s cooked right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I've beercanned a few in the kettle and they come out fierce juicy also :pac::pac:
    Skin is not important in this case as I'll be doing shredded chicken tacos, along with a sheet of spare ribs and some sort of beef joint.

Experiment really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I fancy doing pork on the Weber kettle on Sunday. Any recipes? Shoulder or butt? What temp etc?

• Advertisement

SachaJ wrote: »
    I fancy doing pork on the Weber kettle on Sunday. Any recipes? Shoulder or butt? What temp etc?

Ah jasus - have you seen youtube?

Advertisement