Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

SachaJ wrote: »
    I fancy doing pork on the Weber kettle on Sunday. Any recipes? Shoulder or butt? What temp etc?

Did one 2 weeks ago and doing another tomorrow.

I used https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe as the rub. Last one was just over 6 lbs and took 8 1/2 hours at a bbq temp of 250f. Measured internal temp of 202.

Fresh baps, coleslaw and loads of bbq sce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

heroics wrote: »
    Did one 2 weeks ago and doing another tomorrow.

I used https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe as the rub. Last one was just over 6 lbs and took 8 1/2 hours at a bbq temp of 250f. Measured internal temp of 202.

Fresh baps, coleslaw and loads of bbq sce.

This. Do this.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

This guy is my go to for full roast chicken
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?=2feL4UUsU2I

Lots of other good weber kettle recipes on his channel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Kettle it is then.......
    (first time)

S0Wk11ql.jpg

...almost done....
    LFI9Z92l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

heroics wrote: »
    I put the coals either side of the Weber. Put a tray on the same level as the coals with the wine stock etc in it. Then on the cooking grate above the tray I put the lamb

You might be able to see what I mean better in the pic attached

Just one note I only used about 3 cloves of garlic each one sliced into 4 strips and found it was loads for the leg of lamb. Threw another 4 or five into the tray under neath

Did this one yesterday. 1.5kg so cooked pretty quickly so il do it slower next time. The best thing about it though was the gravy I made from the drip tray - so smokey it was amazing. In the coals I put in an apple and a hickory chunk which probably helped the gravy flavour. Very easy cook overall so would definitely recommend it but maybe at a lower temp than they state.

• Advertisement

Where do you get your charcoal? Briquette or lump.
    Bought my WSM from Aroomoutside and got about 5 x 4kg bags.
    Want to stock up. Ideas?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

If you're on the north side of Dublin there's a place on the Hole in the Wall Road called Eddie's Smokeless Fuels. He's got a pretty good selection of charcoal - I believe he supplies a few restaurants and pizza places.

Worth dropping in if you're not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

thejaguar wrote: »
    If you're on the north side of Dublin there's a place on the Hole in the Wall Road called Eddie's Smokeless Fuels. He's got a pretty good selection of charcoal - I believe he supplies a few restaurants and pizza places.

Worth dropping in if you're not too far away.

I went into him about 10 years ago looking for wood for bbq and I might aswell have had 2 heads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Planet X wrote: »
    Want to stock up. Ideas?
    Cheers.

Ordered mine from the orchard

I can sell blue bag restaurant grade 12kg bags for €20 each collected, you might find it cheaper elseware but it wouldnt be worth my while ordering a pallet load and storing it right for any less.
    Based in knocklyon

Im not a business just have access to it.
    pm me.

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    I can sell blue bag restaurant grade 12kg bags for €20 each collected, you might find it cheaper elseware but it wouldnt be worth my while ordering a pallet load and storing it right for any less.
    Based in knocklyon

pm me.

Lumpwood or charcoal briquettes?

Mech1 wrote: »
    Based in knocklyon

pm me.

Lumpwood or charcoal briquettes?

Lumpwood

You can get the 12kg lumpwood for less from woodfuels.
    I got 6 bags and 2 bags of the waxy fire lighters for 115 delivered about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

neris wrote: »
    I went into him about 10 years ago looking for wood for bbq and I might aswell have had 2 heads

There's a younger lad working there - he seems to be managing the bbq stuff. I had a good chat with him one day and came back the next day to pick up a couple of bags.
    The young lad wasn't around - the older chap knew where the bags were and that's about it I'd say.
    They have a good selection and plenty of wood (chinks and chips) for smoking.

You can get the 12kg lumpwood for less from woodfuels.
    I got 6 bags and 2 bags of the waxy fire lighters for 115 delivered about 2 weeks ago.

How good is their "Restaurant" charcoal....OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

How good is their "Restaurant" charcoal....OK?

It burns for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

See that seal in the KJ, is that available to buy anywhere?

budgemook wrote: »

Don't start WW3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

budgemook wrote: »
    :cool:

And they just happen to sell very expensive bags of it themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps this thread needs to be split into a cooking charcoal bbq thread and a sourcing charcoal thread?

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.
    I don't have a charcoal bbq but I love reading and seeing what people are doing on theirs but the thread is completely bogged down with, "where can I buy charcoal", questions and answers.

Anyone else like this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Perhaps this thread needs to be split into a cooking charcoal bbq thread and a sourcing charcoal thread?

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.
    I don't have a charcoal bbq but I love reading and seeing what people are doing on theirs but the thread is completely bogged down with, "where can I buy charcoal", questions and answers.

Anyone else like this?

Probably just need a sticky thread where that kind of info is held so all questions can just be redirected there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.

Anyone else like this?

I am anxiously awaiting the pellet grill thread.:D

oleras wrote: »
    I am anxiously awaiting the pellet grill thread.:D

Then we,ll need an offset stick burner thread, which will then have to be followed up by an Asado thread

Want to stock up. Ideas?
    Cheers.

Sorry about that guys n gals.
    Wasn't aware that it was moot subject.....relatively new to the Charcoal Thread.

I’m a fulacht fiadh man myself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry about that guys n gals.
    Wasn't aware that it was moot subject.....relatively new to the Charcoal Thread.

Not having a go at you or anyone else.
    Currently, this is the obvious place to ask about buying charcoal.
    I was merely suggesting that there could be somewhere else for such questions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

maybe those that don't want to read about charcoal in the charcoal thread should just read the gas thread.

i don't think i've ever been in there as i don't really mind what people are cooking on gas, but it would appear if people want a thread about BBQ that doesn't mention charcoal the thread already exists.

FFS, we've too many bbq threads already without suggesting splitting off into another.

Advertisement